Canon Announces Image Cloud Service Irista

Well, I've been a Beta tester for ever, not a terribly active one, although I did take part in a web chat, which involved a lot of blue-sky type questions, "If you could ask for anything what would you want..." . To which unsurprisingly most people said unlimited free storage!

Storage was unlimited in Beta and I have uploaded a lot of stuff, 122GB to be precise, so now when I log in it says I am over my free 10GB limit! No suggestion at the moment that I can't continue to use what I have, although I can't upload any more obviously and I imagine deleting stuff won't free up new space. I guess 112 free gigs of storage is a reasonable return for Beta testing, even if I can never add or change what's uploaded!

It's not obvious what I would have to pay to get more storage the premium package talks about "customise your storage by add on storage", presumably at an additional cost to the standard premium rate?

Upvote 0

eyeland

Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
Feb 28, 2012
Denmark/Isreal
Anyone care to share their thoughts on viable software solutions for the home-server solution?
Gonna set up a server when I move back home to my 100/100mbit fiber connection, but so far I have not been satisfied with WP-galleries or simple file servers. I would like to implement a flickr-like framework that integrates automatically with my storage drives.
The best for me in terms of publishing and public availability would be some function akin to smart collections in Lr where one could publish collections based on certain meta-tags rather than having to publish things manually.
In other words, the only downside to the personal server solutions is the time and effort it takes to maintain and manage them but surely, this pales in insignificance compared to this half-assed canon offering...

Upvote 0
Server is down, but their e-mail does not work either, see text below

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
The email address you entered couldn't be found. Check the recipient's email address then try to resend the message. For more tips to resolve this issue see DSN code 5.1.1 in Exchange Online. If the problem continues contact your help desk.

Upvote 0
apacheebest said:
Dear Canon make it 1 TB Free for ALL :)

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

The running costs would have to be met by loading prices on camera equipment. I'm sort of fine with that happening for iPhones etc., because those things have a limited life anyway and it's an ongoing thing to budget for. But I keep my camera equipment for decades.

BTW, it's Sunday evening on a holiday weekend here in Australia, and the Australia and NZ site is "currently undergoing testing and maintenance" by gurus. (For those who don't know, a "guru" is an expert on Unix and open source software. Generally they come with beards.)

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
hollybush said:
apacheebest said:

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

The running costs would have to be met by loading prices on camera equipment. I'm sort of fine with that happening for iPhones etc., because those things have a limited life anyway and it's an ongoing thing to budget for. But I keep my camera equipment for decades.

BTW, it's Sunday evening on a holiday weekend here in Australia, and the Australia and NZ site is "currently undergoing testing and maintenance" by gurus. (For those who don't know, a "guru" is an expert on Unix and open source software. Generally they come with beards.)
Same here and I am logging on from India. So may be their Geography is not too good - apart from other things... ;)

Upvote 0
hollybush said:
apacheebest said:

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

Can you friends tell me how it is different from flickr except that it has a crazy pricing and flickr gives 1TB free. If this one allows RAW then its a different thing, but then, there are cheaper cloud storage available out there and if you are storing RAW, then all the drums and whistles are kinda useless :p

Anil George

Upvote 0
apacheebest said:
hollybush said:
apacheebest said:

Dear Canon,

Please don't.

Can you friends tell me how it is different from flickr except that it has a crazy pricing and flickr gives 1TB free. If this one allows RAW then its a different thing, but then, there are cheaper cloud storage available out there and if you are storing RAW, then all the drums and whistles are kinda useless :p

Anil George

Flickr is for displaying your work, viewing other peoples work, sharing ideas and commenting on photos (some video too) whereas a cloud storage service is mainly used in the same way an external hard drive is (though usually with more benefits like being able to share files easily).

I guess you can use Flickr for storing images if you only have JPEGs but you'd need to change the privacy settings so only you can view them. It's just faster and easier to use cloud storage as it's similar to the filing system found on most PCs - you can just drag and drop files where you want.

Think of it like this - Flickr is an art gallery and irista is an office filing cabinet. You wouldn't put up all your family pics / pics of you cat etc. on the gallery wall for storage would you?

Upvote 0