Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

Am I crazy or does this potentially eat into some C500 sales? If you're looking for FF 4k 60fps clog 10bit 422, your only option was to go with the full $16k C500 m2 beast. This would be an option at 1/4 the price that loses some features people may be willing to part with considering the savings...
Possibly a bit, but those 2 cameras are for very different markets. The C500 will be something rental houses buy.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Am I crazy or does this potentially eat into some C500 sales? If you're looking for FF 4k 60fps clog 10bit 422, your only option was to go with the full $16k C500 m2 beast. This would be an option at 1/4 the price that loses some features people may be willing to part with considering the savings...

Unlikely. Different cameras for different jobs. You won't likely be shooting any major movies with the R5 due to what will likely be heat dissipation limitations that will limit how long one can record. And then there are all of the attachments and accessories that are acquirable for the C500. Though, I can see this becoming the newer "Cheap B camera" option that the 5DII became back in the day.

I do find the next C300 interesting though, while it doesn't do 8k, it does offer a new dual-gain sensor with a claimed 16+stops of DR.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ckwaller

Mr_Roboto
Dec 5, 2012
This sounds almost too good to be true. The last Canon body I purchased was a 5D3 in 2012, so I'm itching for something new, especially as a mirrorless hybrid shooter.

I'm going to guess this camera comes in at a minimum of $4,500. The 5D3 and 5D4 both came in at $3,500, so an extra $1,000 isn't too unreasonable for the specs and tech they're cramming into a mirrorless body. Of course, my mind will be blown if the release the R5 at the standard $3,500 or less.

My only concern is on the video side. I haven't done any work using HEVC/H.265. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only camera in recent memory I can recall using the codec was the Samsung NX1. How does this codec compare compared to MotionJPEG of the 5D4? Will it require transcoding to ProRes or DnX or the use of proxies for efficient video editing? Can most computers handle it well?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

"Newly Developed Full-Frame CMOS Sensor" rather than stating the resolution = recycling the earlier development statement but not outing any specs or violating NDA. :LOL:

- A

Upvote 0
Unlikely. Different cameras for different jobs. You won't likely be shooting any major movies with the R5 due to what will likely be heat dissipation limitations that will limit how long one can record. And then there are all of the attachments and accessories that are acquirable for the C500. Though, I can see this becoming the newer "Cheap B camera" option that the 5DII became back in the day.

I do find the next C300 interesting though, while it doesn't do 8k, it does offer a new dual-gain sensor with a claimed 16+stops of DR.

I totally agree with you, the people eyeing the C500 are generally not looking downward to an R5 as a replacement. However, for someone who's looking upward trying to check the most popular boxes right now:
  • DPAF
  • IBIS
  • 4k60, 8k24
  • Internal 10bit 422
  • C-Log
The R5 seems to hit them all and at a mere fraction of the C500's cost. So this would be cutting out the lower budget "aspiring youtube filmmaker" audience from looking to the C500 to get all of those features. I guess Canon figures that they would never be able to afford the C500 anyway, and since the designs are so fundamentally different from one another, they're not cannibalizing their sales.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0