CANON U.S.A. INTRODUCES EOS-1D C DIGITAL SLR CAMERA FEATURING 4K HIGH-RESOLUTION VIDEO CAPTURE

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gene_can_sing

mccrum said:
"Honey, you know how we've been saving to buy a car? I got a camera instead!"

$15,000. And there are a lot of people who are going to buy two. Wow.

What's a Hasselblad up to these days, maybe I'll get back into film...

I guarantee the 1D-C will be a flop. I work in video and TV, and people are pretty bummed about it, especially since it's $15K.

The super high end Canon going for $35K. Now that camera seems to be worth the price because it's way up there in performance, but the 1D-X just seems like the world's most expensive firmware update.

Canon video is going to lose their shirts, and Sony is going to capitalize big time.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
gene_can_sing said:
mccrum said:
"Honey, you know how we've been saving to buy a car? I got a camera instead!"

$15,000. And there are a lot of people who are going to buy two. Wow.

What's a Hasselblad up to these days, maybe I'll get back into film...

I guarantee the 1D-C will be a flop. I work in video and TV, and people are pretty bummed about it, especially since it's $15K.

The super high end Canon going for $35K. Now that camera seems to be worth the price because it's way up there in performance, but the 1D-X just seems like the world's most expensive firmware update.

Canon video is going to lose their shirts, and Sony is going to capitalize big time.

Not sure about that but it does feel like the video group is in charge now does it!

Upvote 0
Like I said before, what irks me is that 1D-C is virtually a 1D-X with a video firmware which means that theoretically the 1DX should be capable of delivering the same image. The only difference being is that Canon knows that they cannot milk 16K from stills photographers but hope they can do so from the video crowd.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
gene_can_sing said:

Gene_has_been_singing_this_tune_for_months.

I used to work in academic science. My lab mates and I would go to a scientific meeting, see the latest golliwog instrument, and say wow that's great, but no one will ever buy that, it costs way too much. Now I work in pharma, and I have a multimillion dollar annual capital budget - what was insanely overpriced before is now quite affordable. Point is, Canon seems to be targeting big-budget studios and filmmakers with their recent cinema releases (note: they call it the Cinema EOS line, not the 'video' line), and not indie filmmakers. Canon's goal isn't to please everyone, it's to turn a profit. If the quality is high, just as I have no problem spending $1MM on a piece of scientific instrumentation, major studios will have no problem spending $15K on a camera. Heck, buy ten, they're cheap. Probably not a flop, again, provided it delivers on quality.

Upvote 0
Re: READ THE PRESS RELEASE...

Rishaar said:
dilbert said:
“The Canon EOS-1D C digital SLR camera was designed in response to the needs of filmmakers, television producers, and other high-level motion-imaging professionals,” stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies & Communications Group, Canon U.S.A. “Not only does it combine 4K and Full HD video capture with a convenient design, its use of dual CF cards also offers an efficient workflow compatible with today’s post-production requirements.”

If you're not in that group of people above then why are you complaining about the price?

Clearly Canon understands who its target audience is and clearly some people would like to think they're part of a group that quite clearly they're not.

I understand your logic, but in this case why a DSLR? This isn't what "high-level motion-imaging professionals" need.
Thisisnot a specialized video camera, super basic features like SDI or XLR are missing, i mean even the display is 3:2, not even 16:9 !!
This is just an unlocked 1DX

I can clear this up easily.

Form Factor.

Take for example the episode of house that was shot on the 5D2, The reason why they used that camera was due to its size, it was able to produce nice pictures and be able to be positioned in awkward spots to attain the best angles. Something that you can not do with a camera in a rig/cage or large footprint (ARRI etc).

The 1D-C increases the viewing format but keeps the form factor.

Its that simple.

As for those bitching about the price, its like point & shoot users complaining the xD series are too expensive. When in reality an xxxD would suit their needs.

Upvote 0
gene_can_sing said:

If Sonys bankruptcy issues are true, they are going to hope its a flop for Canon.

Lets be honest for $15,000 your basically paying $7000 for a 1D-X and the extra $8000 for the 1D-C but bundled into the one body.

The more i think about it the more it makes sense, sure its overpriced and should possibly be around the $12k mark tops, but for my area (film not TV) i can see many uses.

Just the cost savings from using lighter/smaller jibs and dollies would justify the cost of this camera in no time.
Plus imagine the cheap remote controlled heli shots you could get with something like this.

Upvote 0
C

ces416

Axilrod said:
ces416 said:
No one cares what it's being marketed as. Put it next to a Playstation 3 on a the Sony website doesn't make it a Gaming system.
If this is in fact a digital cinema camera. Shouldn't the majority of the features resemble that?

Where are the XLR inputs?
An adjustable screen maybe?

By the way... If you tell any major production company that you are going to shoot a tv show primarily with DSLR's you'd give someone a heart attack. The reason TV shows used Those cameras is because of their affordable price. I promise you, nobody would have ever used a 5d Mark II if it cost $15,000
show me a show that shoots "regularly". on a 7d

Ok, I get it, you would never use this camera for a video production, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world feels the same way. I would imagine people would love to use it as a B cam or in tight situations (which is the reason they used the 5DII on House). People use rigs, external recorders and external monitors, and this cam would function just as well using said equipment. I think this thing is crazy overpriced regardless, but I can see people opting for it in certain situations. It's kinda hard to judge until we see the footage coming out of it, it could be ridiculously incredibly awesome, and in that case I'm sure it would be well received. I think if the resolution is really amazing that people would be willing to deal with the hassles involved with shooting with a DSLR body. We'll see.

I think we'll see a price drop in the coming weeks, like we did the c300. And with Modern NLE updates like the new Premiere pro. It does make it easier to edit h.264.

i do agree the commercial niche has been swinging to the DSLR market for smaller budgets.

So in some cases this would be and useful weapon in the arsenal.

Good dialogue, Axilrod. you making it to NAB this year?

Upvote 0
V

vetch_vicia

I think u guy seem miss a point here. Remembered read an interview at DPreview quite few months ago, the guy is war photographer and what he said was now the news agency are more demanding to have video upload spot on to the website.

I quite believe Canon develop this Eos 1 c to serve a need to those photo journalist that need a good rugged still camera which also take high quality video at the same time and with this price point , 15k, it's a lot cheaper than to deploy two team of journalist to the field (one for still and one for video).

Surely, 15k$ might bother Joe Public like me but I don't think Reuter or AP will ever bother, if they got a 4k video hand on just right after Gaddafi got stabbed to dead.

Upvote 0
vetch_vicia said:
I think u guy seem miss a point here. Remembered read an interview at DPreview quite few months ago, the guy is war photographer and what he said was now the news agency are more demanding to have video upload spot on to the website.

I quite believe Canon develop this Eos 1 c to serve a need to those photo journalist that need a good rugged still camera which also take high quality video at the same time and with this price point , 15k, it's a lot cheaper than to deploy two team of journalist to the field (one for still and one for video).

Surely, 15k$ might bother Joe Public like me but I don't think Reuter or AP will ever bother, if they got a 4k video hand on just right after Gaddafi got stabbed to dead.

Thats why the 1DX and 5D3 do video.

Have you tried to upload anything over 720p quickly to the internet using nothing but a 3G connection?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
gene_can_sing said:

Gene_has_been_singing_this_tune_for_months.

I used to work in academic science. My lab mates and I would go to a scientific meeting, see the latest golliwog instrument, and say wow that's great, but no one will ever buy that, it costs way too much. Now I work in pharma, and I have a multimillion dollar annual capital budget - what was insanely overpriced before is now quite affordable. Point is, Canon seems to be targeting big-budget studios and filmmakers with their recent cinema releases (note: they call it the Cinema EOS line, not the 'video' line), and not indie filmmakers. Canon's goal isn't to please everyone, it's to turn a profit. If the quality is high, just as I have no problem spending $1MM on a piece of scientific instrumentation, major studios will have no problem spending $15K on a camera. Heck, buy ten, they're cheap. Probably not a flop, again, provided it delivers on quality.

yes but there is so much more competition in the upper zone and it's hard to be revolutionary there when you have prices up there too

there 5 series was the revolution for them

Upvote 0
vetch_vicia said:

What in the world do they need 4k for that? On the spot 4k uploads from the field??
Canon even left out zebras and focus peaking because they said they were not aiming at even single cam production film nevermind that. (and they also admitted that they sure as heck NEED, MUST add those zebras, peaks and crops to the 5D3!)

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
ces416 said:
I think we'll see a price drop in the coming weeks, like we did the c300. And with Modern NLE updates like the new Premiere pro. It does make it easier to edit h.264.

i do agree the commercial niche has been swinging to the DSLR market for smaller budgets.

So in some cases this would be and useful weapon in the arsenal.

Good dialogue, Axilrod. you making it to NAB this year?

Thanks man, you too. And I agree being able to edit H.264 natively is nice, but uncompressed sure would be nice too.
I'm anxious to see what kind of results you can get out of that 500mbit MJPEG mode.
The EOSHD guy had some interesting things to say about it ;) http://www.eoshd.com/content/7900/making-sense-of-the-canon-cinema-1d-4k-dslr-from-a-film-industry-perspective

No I won't be making it to NAB this year, I have a shoot this weekend so it just wouldn't work out, but I really wish I could. Are you?

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
vetch_vicia said:

Working with 4k video isn't ideal for photojournalism in the slightest bit, it's complete overkill. It's just too much video power for someone that doesnt work in the production world. It would make way more sense for a photographer to get 2 1DX's and still be able to shoot great 1080p which is much easier to work with and performs exactly the same as the 1DC on the still side. This is a camera for the cinema world and nothing else. Anyone that is willing to buy this camera is going to be a serious filmmaker or a photographer with too much money, but it won't be a camera that tons of photographers run out and buy.

Upvote 0
The back of the camera looks (I can only see the small pictures on the CR front page at the moment) like it's suited for video production. So no, Neuro, it's not just the red "C" badge on front.

The back panel also shows us something about the "no flip screen" worries - that is something that would be inappropriate for a rugged $15K camera where you are going to use that HDMI output to drive a bunch of monitors remotely, possibly including a focus puller. It would probably be a nice feature to have in some cases, but not at the cost of reliability. It is probably a feature we'll continue to see on the cheaper cameras, though.

Upvote 0
Any thinking videographer/photographer would get 2 cameras for that price (unless of course they wanna show off their toys :D) 1D-X for stills and an FS700 for video would come to around $15k with more video friendly features from the FS700. FS700 gets you high frame rates/ND filters/XLR inputs/SDI. The reason HDDSLRs caught on was because of the price point.

Personally I would have opted for a lower mega pixel still camera with features slightly higher than the 60D.

Upvote 0
E

epiem

dilbert said:
I still think that if it had of been announced at $8k, people would have been saying "Why isn't it $4k?".

If you're a professional and this is what you need then you work on your budget and find a way to make it fit and bring it into your tool set, not complain that it is a few $ more than you've saved.

It's not about how much money you have saved, it's about which other companies offer a better product for less.

I have an affair with Canon, but their pricing on some of their newer items are just too high.
When others are doing it equally as good, if not better, FOR LESS, then why do I want to stick around.

Obviously, there are TONS of people out there who feel the same way.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Edwin Herdman said:
The back of the camera looks (I can only see the small pictures on the CR front page at the moment) like it's suited for video production. So no, Neuro, it's not just the red "C" badge on front..

Indeed...as David stated, there are two different cameras in that image - front view of 1D C and back view of C500. The back of the 1D C is just like the back of the 1D X.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.