Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

Honestly, what's the Canon camera for those of us that want to take high-quality photos, but that don't want 40MP+ files? Or rather, what WILL it be in the mirrorless line? It seems like this is more of a replacement for the 5DSr, as opposed to a 5DV. All these specs are aimed at people who shoot video, but a DSLR is never going to be able to match their cinema-line of cameras, and with the specs on the r5 it's going to probably not be THAT much cheaper than the lower end cinema products Canon offers. I know people are psyched that shoot video, but why wouldn't you just buy a video camera if that's what you need? I'm genuinely curious. For my part...I just want something that's mirrorless, between ~25 and ~35 MP and is a step up in quality from the original R. Basically a 5DV in mirrorless format. I don't think that's asking much, the use-case for this r5 is going to be pretty close to that of the 5DSr as near as I can tell, as opposed to an every-day unit like the 5DIV or 1DXiii. I can't imagine the dynamic range or low-light performance on the r5 is going to be able to match the 1DXiii or the 5DIV (or even get close)....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Perhaps that is what the R6 will bring to the table? The R5 is 45mp and a video monster, the R6 will be say ~30mp with useable ISO to 400K or higher?

Is the announcement in May?
According to the leaked specs, it will probably have the 20MP sensor and video features from the 1DX III (likely abandoning the RAW option), which has excellent high ISO performance, but don't expect it to be amazing above 25600.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Honestly, what's the Canon camera for those of us that want to take high-quality photos, but that don't want 40MP+ files? Or rather, what WILL it be in the mirrorless line? It seems like this is more of a replacement for the 5DSr, as opposed to a 5DV. All these specs are aimed at people who shoot video, but a DSLR is never going to be able to match their cinema-line of cameras, and with the specs on the r5 it's going to probably not be THAT much cheaper than the lower end cinema products Canon offers. I know people are psyched that shoot video, but why wouldn't you just buy a video camera if that's what you need? I'm genuinely curious. For my part...I just want something that's mirrorless, between ~25 and ~35 MP and is a step up in quality from the original R. Basically a 5DV in mirrorless format. I don't think that's asking much, the use-case for this r5 is going to be pretty close to that of the 5DSr as near as I can tell, as opposed to an every-day unit like the 5DIV or 1DXiii. I can't imagine the dynamic range or low-light performance on the r5 is going to be able to match the 1DXiii or the 5DIV (or even get close)....
The 42MP A7RII has been around since 2013 and even gone up to 61MP since then (And PCs have gotten much faster since then to cope with the files), so 45MP is pretty normal for a brand new camera in 2020 (and one made for resolution can go way beyond that) or there is the 20MP R6 where you can complain that the megapixel count is too low - even though the actual difference is not that significant as it will use a newer anti-aliasing filter.
There used to be an option to shoot smaller resolution RAW in previous Canon cameras, but now there is essentially no benefit, so either shoot compressed raw to save file size or use the in-camera crop mode.
Same with the ISO, the 20MP one will be better, but once the 45MP one is downscaled, there is not that much difference.

Upvote 0
Could you tell why an RF 85mm f/1.2 (with BR element) should be priced the same as an EF 85mm f/1.4? Or how much the EF 24-70 2.8 L II, a fairly popular lens cost on its release? Yep, almost the same as today's far superior RF equivalent with IS added in as well.
Cheaper glass is coming, current ones will gradually drop in as time goes as development costs get absorbed, stocks fill up, etc. etc.

Honestly, I guess this is kind of my point, I've paid an average of ~$1600 - $1700 a pop for my admittedly great L glass. The RF glass is no cheaper so I'm just doing the math. I move to the RF mount and now my camera is dangling off my lenses so new lenses for balance = more money. I don't regret my purchases, my photography put 2 daughters through college but at this point and looking at what I've delivered, I could have done the same jobs for thousands less.

Since this topic is about the new Canon body: I believe people should spend their money however they wish, but cameras are now nothing more than computers with color science and the computer market changes once every 2 years or so. I just don't see them as a good investment anymore. Kudos to anyone who picks up this camera when it drops. I just can't justify spending the kind of money this body will demand anymore, especially when it will sell at a significant discount in just a few short years. Regardless of these fantastic specs If I decide to buy one, I'll be able to buy this body for ~$2k or less in a few short years, I'll send it to CPS and they'll make it shoot like new. I want as many ppl to buy them as possible, it makes for a fantastic used market.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
If the IBIS works cooperatively with IS in EF lenses, then the coming M cameras with IBIS should do the same. Very nice. I take an R5 and an M5 II/M1 please.
I'm not sure if IBIS will work with RF IS lenses only or include EF IS lenses. I haven't seen any confirmation either way.

R5 may disable one of the two systems if EF IS lenses are used. This could be for technical reasons or marketing reasons - i.e. they want you to upgrade to RF lenses to get the full Monty i.e. cripple hammer.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I wonder how much money it would save if they split the line. One camera without video capability and one with.
It'd actually cost more. Nikon did it with the dF, it flopped, and they never released another one. The sales you lose by splitting lines, the resale value you hurt by dropping video....all when the actual cost of video is largely software side. You just end up with a way better photo camera when video forces hardware upgrades.

I would not be surprised to see the R5 launched at $2,999 as long as Canon can do it profitably. The R5 shows Canon's playbook has changed. Sure, they could launch at $4,999 and provide a nice pricing umbrella for competitors As they have done in the past. At $2,999, Canon could just suck all the oxygen out of the market, drive big volumes to reduce cost, and exponentially drive up highly profitable RF lens sales. I think the Canon elephant is learning to dance. Look out.
Itd be smart if they did $2999 or $3499....but the only cameras I know that do 8k are in the $5k+ range. The ZCam's is $5995. Most of the market is in the $20k range. I'll be a little stunned if it comes in at normal 5D line prices based off the specs

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Devoting a camera to still photography.... Dream on... They only build such a thing in Heaven
I agree. It would be a tough sell for a $3K camera not to have some sort of real video functionality when even smartphones have 4K video. That would almost be as bad as an $8K monochrome only camera!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Since this topic is about the new Canon body: I believe people should spend their money however they wish, but cameras are now nothing more than computers with color science and the computer market changes once every 2 years or so. I just don't see them as a good investment anymore. Kudos to anyone who picks up this camera when it drops. I just can't justify spending the kind of money this body will demand anymore, especially when it will sell at a significant discount in just a few short years. Regardless of these fantastic specs If I decide to buy one, I'll be able to buy this body for ~$2k or less in a few short years, I'll send it to CPS and they'll make it shoot like new. I want as many ppl to buy them as possible, it makes for a fantastic used market.
Since when cameras were ever good investments? :) (or even lenses, they are just smarter purchases don't depreciate as heavily, but they still loose value over time) That was my point, there is literally no difference at all in depreciation, of course if someone intends to switch systems or mounts in one go, that will cost more than just doing it gradually or buying/selling at the right time, etc.
For the people that can utilise the 8K or other features, buying the camera in its release and creating stuff with it is actually more beneficial than to wait out and suffer less depreciation.
I'm not sure if IBIS will work with RF IS lenses only or include EF IS lenses. I haven't seen any confirmation either way.

R5 may disable one of the two systems if EF IS lenses are used. This could be for technical reasons or marketing reasons - i.e. they want you to upgrade to RF lenses to get the full Monty i.e. cripple hammer.
It says loud and clear: the IBIS works in tandem with all Canon EF or EF-S lens with IS (only in the APS-C crop mode, no FF option either for stills or video), the only question is aftermarket lenses, it may or may not work with those, maybe they will work in tandem after a firmware update, etc.

I guess we could see an EF-mount camera with IBIS some time in the future as well.

Upvote 0
Nikon did it with the dF, it flopped, and they never released another one.

Nikon Df flopped because it did not live up at all to its wonderful teaser campaign. It was a Frankenstein camera with a totally botched user interface, low rez, re-used sensor at a way too high price. It did NOT fail because of lacking video recording.

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I agree. It would be a tough sell for a $3K camera not to have some sort of real video functionality when even smartphones have 4K video. That would almost be as bad as an $8K monochrome only camera!
I guess me and those I work with are the only slobs willing to pay for cameras devoted to sill photography that are sealed for sports. $10K would be a small price to pay if it was sealed, had great DR and 45MP with low noise at 10 to 14fps with big white options. 16bit color wod be nice.... butnI don't want to get piggy. OH! You can take every useless bit of video out of it. I'll pay more for less ;)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'd be willing to bet this will be a $6K camera. 8K video? the people capable of viewing it are very rare although it admittedly gives a ton of flexibility in post. I've delivered photos to hundreds of clients and printed as large as they've ever requested with my 5DIII & my Fuji X-T2. My days of a $20K kit when you add great glass and strobes is over. Canon will NOT price this body competitively, it's just not the way they do things. Love the specs, but would never spend that kind of money again on a body that will be equaled or bested by competitors in 2 years or less. I'll just live vicariously through those that have the disposable income for this camera.
How much you betting? I’ll take a piece of that action

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
After this recent interview where Canon said that the R5 is indeed the mirrorless equivalent of the 5D series, I believe it will be priced like that i.e. MSRP of 5DIV market intro plus 200-400 adjustment.
Bingo.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
I'm one of the people that quoted 6K for this body and Canon has given me no reason to think otherwise. Look at the price of RF glass, it's in no way priced competitively. This wouldn't be the first time Canon priced itself out of the market and I don't believe this will be any different. I would love to be wrong but considering the very capable bodies and glass out there, I've already written off this body. If anything I'll pick one up in 2 years once it's average tech, my customers and most everyone's customers would not be able to tell the difference between the images from a 5DII and this new super duper body once they get their prints. My best, highest paying clients can't tell the difference between my 5DIII & Fuji files once I deliver the prints. I'll wait to pick one up slightly used at 60% of MSRP or less if I decide to buy this at all....
You could very well be correct. The RF glass is at a premium. I just hope they understand they not only have to make this stuff, they have to sell.

Most modern gear has been “good enough” for a while, certainly the R and 5d4 anyway. I want one of these for sure, but price will matter when I pick one up.

With Covid ruining at least 3 trips so far this year, I am in no hurry at all.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Nikon Df flopped because it did not live up at all to its wonderful teaser campaign. It was a Frankenstein camera with a totally botched user interface, low rez, re-used sensor at a way too high price. It did NOT fail because of lacking video recording.
Let me ask you, if you were Canon president would you authorise production of a stills only camera in a rapidly shrinking market? To me, I would want to reduce the number of models offered and make them as broadly accessible as possible to maintain margin and take market share from competitors.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
its one thing to buy the r5 , if you can even afford it, but the next cost is to buy a new desktop that can handle 8k and thats another $2000 +
I dont see the 8K part of this getting wide use. And I dont think Canon much cares. It’s showing people “Look at what we can do... Mic Drop”. And being the first kid on the block to say “We did it. Whadda you got??”
Where it helps is that it clearly pushed the 4K capabilities way up the food chain to give what a lot of video people wanted. A full frame 4K readout with active DPAF all the way up to 120fps. Holy crap.
This camera was made to shut everyone up and remind them that when Canon wants to do something, they can blow a hole in the world to get your attention.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If this camera is water sealed.... It could prompt those who were 1DXIII bound to take a look. Looking at DR, shadow recovery, focus speed, ISO noise.... This could be enough to get people to consider investing in new RF Glass.
It will have sealing comparable to previous 5 bodies, which I always found comparable to the 1DX, even if not quite as rugged.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Could you tell why an RF 85mm f/1.2 (with BR element) should be priced the same as an EF 85mm f/1.4?

It worked out that way, i think, because you get the very handy Lens IS in the 1.4. Have one. Love it. I dont think it was so much about EF vs RF. Just a take-your-pick thing. You can either buy a bigger aperture or Image Stabilization. I went for the IS.

Upvote 0