Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
You keep skipping the law of economics....lower demand means higher price to achieve ROI. So few people would want such a niche product that all of the cost savings that you think you would gain with such a camera would be overcome by the prices needed to achieve ROI.

Also, this is 2020, I know a lot of people here might hate me for saying this but...stills are going the way of the 8 track player. The younger generation is growing up with YouTube, Netflix, HBO, etc. etc, and "influencers". They want to see, hear, and watch what is happening on their tiny cell phone screens. Stills are best enjoyed as prints or life sized displays; modern consumers don't print, they don't buy prints, and they have less than an 8sec attention span.

Camera manufacturers know all of this and they know video is more important now than ever; producing a camera without video is a sure way to fail. Most of my customers find me looking for stills, hire me because I also do video, and end up recommending me because I found a way to do both at their event or they decide their cell phones are good enough for stills and just want a "good video" to post on their social media of their birthday party, wedding, night out, graduation, ...insert activity here...

The other part you are skipping is that video is just a series of stills taken at some frame rate fast enough to not stutter...and compressed in a codec other than JPG. So yes, the architecture for video vs stills is nearly identical and as others have stated, the few additional audio components are negligible from a price perspective. I am quite sure if Canon or any manufacturer thought they could actually make money on a stills only camera they would have produced one by now.

If you want to look at what a video only camera looks like and the pricing there, then look no farther than the Cinema line to see what dedicated (read costly) video hardware actually looks like.

Yes. That's what I was trying to explain earlier. You target an established price point in a mature, well-known market, and you create a product to appeal to the broadest user base possible. If I can create a single product manufacturing schedule instead of two, I can lower costs on multiple fronts while increasing my profit margins and sales volume. Everyone wins. Stills shooters will have a fantastic stills camera. Video shooters will have a fantastic small body video machine. Everyone wins.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Yes. That's what I was trying to explain earlier. You target an established price point in a mature, well-known market, and you create a product to appeal to the broadest user base possible. If I can create a single product manufacturing schedule instead of two, I can lower costs on multiple fronts while increasing my profit margins and sales volume. Everyone wins. Stills shooters will have a fantastic stills camera. Video shooters will have a fantastic small body video machine. Everyone wins.
Exactly, another point a lot of people seem to be missing is that these announcements were made as a part of Canon's NAB Show (National Association of Broadcasters) we are lucky we got any tidbits on the R5 at all; the fact that they were video focused should be expected.

I am absolutely certain the R5 will also take fantastic stills, so for the stills shooters your time will come hopefully sometime soon. Personally I would love to see a synch speed over 1/200, an option for a 5:4 crop ratio in camera so that I can stop guessing at what the "Instagrammed" version of the image will look like when I deliver the social media versions to the customer, and built in time lapse features since I have never understood why I need an external intervalometer for time lapses.

I probably won't even buy the R5 anytime soon, I still love my OVF and my 5D IV, I'm more interested in the R6 as a possible GH5 replacement for video.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Some people posting on this forum seem to think that this camera has been spec'd around 8k video ability. I'd say the opposite is true. The camera was spec'd around the need for a high resolution 45MP sensor to please stills shooters. 8K readout is a necessary (evil) result of having a high rez senor. Not the driver.

If 8K was something that was primarily of benefit to video shooters it would be offered in Canon's cinema line and it's not. Personally I would have been very happy with a video centric MILC with the s35 sensor from the new C300. But we aren't going to get that because Canon is running a business and it doesn't fit in their business plan. We don't all get what we want. I guess I can make the 8K sensor work but I don't particularly want/need it for video. It will make the camera much more attractive as an upgrade to my 5D Mark IV for stills. The idea that the spec's of this camera are somehow an unfair burden on stills shooter defies logic.

You didn't get exactly the "purist" stills camera you want? Nobody cares. Get over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
It's also the LOWER PHOTOSITE COUNT of the 1DxMk3 (20 megapixels) which SHOULD give better low light performance and higher dynamic range than the smaller photosites of the Canon R5.
Thats true. Though I must say, in reality this apears to be less and less true. I used the 1DX II and the 5D IV for quite some time alongside each other Tough the 1DX II got also way less pixels, I never noticed much of difference in lowlight. The AF is a bit better and the bigger viewfinder with the illuminated Points (in Servo) is nicer - but the quality in low light was in my eyes pretty much the same as the 5D IV.

I agree with your other points =)

Upvote 0
I am saying this without actually knowing unit sales of their cameras but to me it would make more business sense to sell it for ~$3,500 vs ~$4,500, reach a larger audience which will ultimately purchase more lenses, accessories and service.

This is one of those cameras that transcends video and stills and can really push people to migrate to Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I had endless frustrations with a fully loaded Dell 7910 (Dual Xeon processors, 256GB of memory, quad NVME card, tiered SSD storage, 980TI GPU) and still could not edit 4K 60FPS LongGOP video footage in PP without proxies. Opened tickets with Adobe, wrote test result after test result on the Adobe forums; finally some Adobe Engineer flat out admitted that PP is not optimized for LongGOP (already figured that out) but also that Xeon processors while fantastic for things like virtualization and server services simply have too high of a timing latency for PP since PP does most of its work with the CPU, vs. DR which uses the GPU. For realtime editing playback of 4K LongGOP in PP you need lower CPU timing latency which Xeons are not built for.

He said one of the latest i7s would have been a better solution than dual Xeons. Based on Puget Systems extensive tests, I ended up with a Z4 with an Intel Core i9-7940X which their tests demonstrated was the perfect CPU for PP. Ironically I now use DR which barely touches the CPU.

Hence another good reason to get off the Adobe bandwagon if at all possible.

Take a look at using Davinci Resolve instead of PP on that hardware and I'm guessing you'll have no problems.

PP is bad in that, as I understand it and your engineer admitted, they don't for some reason take advantage of your GPU(s) like other NLE's are starting to do more and more.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Take a look at using Davinci Resolve instead of PP on that hardware and I'm guessing you'll have no problems.

PP is bad in that, as I understand it and your engineer admitted, they don't for some reason take advantage of your GPU(s) like other NLE's are starting to do more and more.
Yeah unfortunately Adobe is way behind FCPX and Davinci with certain codecs. Best bet is to either shoot IN or convert through media encoder to Apple ProRes. This is the main reason I shoot to a Ninja V. ProRes HQ right out the gate, no painful file conversions. Smooth editing of 4K with no lag and chop even in Adobe

Upvote 0
Bingo. I'm waiting for one of these people who are fired up up over the video performance to post a link to their feature film, documentary, nature video, or whatever. My suspicion is that their hobby is reading and criticizing DSLR video specs. And maybe making videos of their cute cats for Facebook.

M5, RP, 6D Mark II, 5D Mark IV. I make still photographs, mostly.
I film weddings and I definitely fall into the category of someone who is fired up over the video specs. I'm transitioning to making 4k the standard I deliver films to clients and the R5 will surely join my arsenal. One thing I'm real mindful of is these films are an investment, and I'd like to future proof them as much as possible. My clients grandkids will likely be viewing these videos one day, and what will the tech be then? Will they be viewing on 8k tv's? I'd love to think that my films still hold up 50 years from now on the IQ front.
Happy to share my portfolio if it interests you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

Yes that's what I was saying I use DR now (Davinci Resolve) and made the full switch about 2 months ago. My last hold up was AfterEffects and I took some crash courses on YouTube on DR's node editing. I'm loving DR now...already cancelled the video portion of my Adobe subscription.

I tried DR years ago and as an NLE it was terrible, but used to use it for color grading until the workflow got too cumbersome. I have no doubt DR will be able to handle H.265 and if I need to upgrade it will probably just be to get a better video card vs a whole new system.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Yeah unfortunately Adobe is way behind FCPX and Davinci with certain codecs. Best bet is to either shoot IN or convert through media encoder to Apple ProRes. This is the main reason I shoot to a Ninja V. ProRes HQ right out the gate, no painful file conversions. Smooth editing of 4K with no lag and chop even in Adobe
I've thought about that, but for me I really like recording to two card slots to have two copies of the footage at all times and the events I shoot singlehandedly are absolutely pure chaos at times. I don't carry a single extra piece of equipment that I don't have to especially if it takes batteries. I've had events where I'm running 3 cameras, capturing audio, shooting photography, and grabbing snippets of handheld video b-roll in between shooting stills. An external recorder is definitely not going to be a part of that scenario.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I guess I can make the 8K sensor work but I don't particularly want/need it for video. It will make the camera much more attractive as an upgrade to my 5D Mark IV for stills. The idea that the spec's of this camera are somehow an unfair burden on stills shooter defies logic.
What I find so very amusing are all the photographers here and elsewhere that used to say that 50 MPIX was “far too much” and that no one needed that many megapixels for anything - who will be storming out to get this camera.

A paradox repeated every 3 or 4 years as people upgrade from one to the next edition of digital cameras. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
What I find so very amusing are all the photographers here and elsewhere that used to say that 50 MPIX was “far too much” and that no one needed that many megapixels for anything - who will be storming out to get this camera.

A paradox repeated every 3 or 4 years as people upgrade from one to the next edition of digital cameras. :ROFLMAO:
ha jeah, true! I can remember it so clearly, all these guys laughing at canon because "noboy needs the Cnon 5Ds with 50mp". And now its expected to have at least 40mpixel in any model and the 20mpixel from the 1DX III is suddenly a disaster :-D

Newer generations will allways have "more" in something and thats a good thing. One day the Megapixel war will finaly be over, but than other things will get important like even finer color details or maybe perfect 3D (without glasses).

I think any image (photo or video) right now is still very far away from perfect (technicaly speaking). As long as I can distinguish between looking out of a window and looking onto a screen, it is not perfect. Only if this distinction is completely impossible for a human, the imagereproduction is technicaly perfect and wont need improvement. Until than, more "something" is sill necessary and will certainly happen.
I am not realy sure whats the main problem of images being not perfectly lifelike. I guess its the flattness of the screen and the missing dynamic range that monitors still can not provide. Maybe this will be achieved one day and its finaly impossible to distinguish an image from an window.
Dont get me wrong though, modern technology is impressive and for many people, me included, the camera is not the limiting factor in achieving great images. But its certainly not perfect and more power (resolution, dynamic range, bit depth, whatever) is still somehow "needed".

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
When will people realize that a photo only camera would not be cheaper. So few people would buy it that they would have to make up the low volume with higher prices. Us hybrid shooters are the ones buying enough volume to keep the prices low enough for everyone to benefit from the lower prices that the manufacturers can charge due to the higher volume of bodies sold.

I would love too see your source for the split of photo only / hybrid / video only shooters.

Upvote 0
As a professional broadcast videographer who has a strong interest in still photography, as do my colleagues, and Canon owner, these video specs are impressive but it begs the question, as someone who wants to upgrade a still camera to take advantage of Canon's superb RF lenses, would want to buy another video camera, when I already have two? The combination of these specs and the camera body design and ergonomics hardly lends itself to practical and pragmatic applications in broadcast production or cinematography. I hope Canon picks up the cue from Leica and releases a photographic centric still camera model for the rest of us.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I fail to see the logic. As a non-video user I really have a hard time understanding why Canon only makes 1 version of R5 and puts their ultimate video specs into it,
It's a good replacement for my 5D2, and it will hopefully serve me for another 10 years without becoming grossly outdated.

And even though I have no plans to record any video with it, I would still use its video functionality for tethering (remote stills shooting) purposes.

Upvote 0