Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

As someone else on the thread posited, the video portions are largely software related....
And if nothing else, the higher video is likely pushing the hardware so that still photo capabilities are going to be pulled along with it.

Having a stills only camera, for such a niche market, would likely lose the volume sales that help a hybrid camera over time...and make your stills only camera more $$$ since they'd not be selling as many.

And again, as someone else mentioned, the aftermarket for a crippled stills only camera in this day in age would likely be zilch.
Exactly right. I don't get why this is so hard to understand...

Upvote 0
I agree, Canon is for the most part asking us to buy into a completely new system as they make their transition to mirrorless. Do they deserve their money? Sure they make excellent glass and their sensor tech can compete with the other major players at this point. I can afford this body, but the prints I deliver to my customers generally 16x24 and on the rare occasion 20x30 would be no different from the prints from my "ancient" gear. Experience and decades of shooting lets me know this for sure. I'd love a super high resolution body and a super ultra 4K monitor so I could see someone getting stung by a bee 4 blocks away but it won't sell anymore than my 22 MP 5DIII or my 24MP Fuji. I guess my old age is making me post from a point of practicality these days, I just don't get excited by the latest & greatest. It'll all be in the discount bin before you reach the end of shutter life...

I think it's great that you and your clients (I wish I had some!) are happy with your output, and wouldn't discern any difference between using your gear and the “latest and greatest”. There's truth in the phrase, “it's the Indian and not the arrow”.
Nevertheless some of us, including many amateurs, (many as old as I am) derive pleasure from being more easily and more often successful in capturing the image we see.
I guess I wonder why you would bother following a thread like this.
Cheers! :)

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If it makes you money then by all means go for it. I have no problem with being on the cutting edge, I'm simply considering profit vs investment ratio. I'd love to see your work, I'm a fan of all good photography & video.
For some people, It's NOT ALL ABOUT THE MONEY!
(sorry for shouting, but Jeezus...)

Upvote 0
I think it is up to everyone to switch brands, its a decision based on personal preferences. I did that back in the first decade after 2000, when I changed from Nikon to Canon because Canon was more attractive back then (and more logical to handle for me personally). I understand the reasons why you did that, and you do not need to apologize here.
I really appreciate that ❤️

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I agree with the logic that Canon should come out with multiple versions of the R5, as long as they are all versions of the same camera with things disabled to increase sales. They could have 1 version with everything in it (as the R5 is now), 1 version with all still features and good video (without the most exceptional video features), and 1 version with just the stills features. Each would have a different price. They're all the same camera & menu system. When they do come out with a 85MP sensor they could then do the same thing over again but brand it "version 2" or give it a new R#.

For the record, I take stills almost all of the time. I would much prefer to buy their version that disabled the video if they dropped the price significantly. In fact my preference is to have 2 identical camera bodies with 2 different lenses to that I can go out with just that and not swap lenses. If I got 2 bodies without video I'd save even more money. If I got one of each I'd still save money and the menu system would be identical in each, with the exception that the video menus wouldn't be in one of them. That would be heaven, and Canon would make more money, and those wanting the best video would also benefit. In fact we'd all benefit by having an increased number of bodies (& thus lenses, too) sold which makes Canon more profitable and able to lower their prices.

It would be even better if I decided down the road that I'd like to enable their great video features in my "stills R5" version. I could just pay extra and download the firmware update and then have the "full R5" version at the touch of a button. More money for Canon. Those wanting "good enough" video could save money now, and upgrade later when the stellar video features were more commonplace. Everybody wins!
That would be great. We could have endless threads about Canon’s crippled cameras.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Now that the specific video formats have been announced, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using 8K video frame grabs at 10 bit RAW at 30 fps vs 12 fps RAW at a higher bit depth for sports photography?

I had expected the 8K to be only at 8 bit so similar to JPEG and therefore very limited for post processing.

I am a stills photographer but am curious about taking frame grabs from video.

Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
Now that the specific video formats have been announced, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of using 8K video frame grabs at 10 bit RAW at 30 fps vs 12 fps RAW at a higher bit depth for sports photography?

I had expected the 8K to be only at 8 bit so similar to JPEG and therefore very limited for post processing.

I am a stills photographer but am curious about taking frame grabs from video.

Sports photography would usually be much better off shot with higher shutter speeds than are typically used for video.

Upvote 0
Honestly, I guess this is kind of my point, I've paid an average of ~$1600 - $1700 a pop for my admittedly great L glass. The RF glass is no cheaper so I'm just doing the math. I move to the RF mount and now my camera is dangling off my lenses so new lenses for balance = more money. I don't regret my purchases, my photography put 2 daughters through college but at this point and looking at what I've delivered, I could have done the same jobs for thousands less.

Since this topic is about the new Canon body: I believe people should spend their money however they wish, but cameras are now nothing more than computers with color science and the computer market changes once every 2 years or so. I just don't see them as a good investment anymore. Kudos to anyone who picks up this camera when it drops. I just can't justify spending the kind of money this body will demand anymore, especially when it will sell at a significant discount in just a few short years. Regardless of these fantastic specs If I decide to buy one, I'll be able to buy this body for ~$2k or less in a few short years, I'll send it to CPS and they'll make it shoot like new. I want as many ppl to buy them as possible, it makes for a fantastic used market.
Although it would be great if the used market is a couple of grand cheaper in a couple of years, the question will be "who is selling them"? We have the system switchers but (if all comes to pass as expected) it will be hard to see how much better Sony/Nikon could be to justify a big switch to them. As this is a game changer, it is more likely for them to switch to Canon. Canon's cycle times are longish compared to Sony. Sony etc may catch up to the R5 but again hard to see how the R5 will be less relevant for 99% of users in a couple of years' time. Downsizing due to weight shouldn't be an issue - already light and with smaller/lighter RF lenses coming up will okay if adapted EF/EF-S lenses aren't appropriate.
So who is going to sell them? Maybe only those stopping photography or selling due to financial stress. I think that second hand R5 will keep their value better than we think.

Upvote 0
They could do SW lock/unlock for the versions. Say R5 is $500 cheaper versions but they SW locked the video features, R5C has the full video suite. And you could buy the upgrade later to go from R5 to R5C.

Of course they'd be worried about hack FW to enable video, but there's ways to make that difficult enough.
People would call that a cripple hammer for sure which doesn't make sense... whereas for any normal hardware supplier would call it a feature that was paid for based on the SW development cost. Same happens for your phone where you buy apps/SW using the platform's hardware power.

Also, Canon did provide an upgrade/cost path for CLog features for 5Div in 2017. I think that there was also a hardware heatsink added rather than just a pure SW upgrade.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Although it would be great if the used market is a couple of grand cheaper in a couple of years, the question will be "who is selling them"? We have the system switchers but (if all comes to pass as expected) it will be hard to see how much better Sony/Nikon could be to justify a big switch to them. As this is a game changer, it is more likely for them to switch to Canon. Canon's cycle times are longish compared to Sony. Sony etc may catch up to the R5 but again hard to see how the R5 will be less relevant for 99% of users in a couple of years' time. Downsizing due to weight shouldn't be an issue - already light and with smaller/lighter RF lenses coming up will okay if adapted EF/EF-S lenses aren't appropriate.
So who is going to sell them? Maybe only those stopping photography or selling due to financial stress. I think that second hand R5 will keep their value better than we think.
Rubbish, the second the shine rubs off the R5 and the firmware fixes are done the R5 II rumors will start and a few features people are convinced they need by influencers and forum dipshits will mean they have to 'upgrade' even though they only shot 8k once and never edited the file, that R5 II will be just the camera they always needed...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm going to need several more stimulus checks before I can afford it.

I picked up the EOS R during the Black Friday sales and I'm still not fully sold on mirrorless but I am enjoying the bump in resolution and low-light performance over the 6D. I'm hoping the R5 continues to improve low-light and DR performance compared to the 5D Mark IV and EOS R.

Upvote 0