Canon announces more mind blowing specs for the Canon EOS R5

wrong. you can write all you want, 4k and 8k video does not come for free but causes significant additional cost compared to a stills camera.

And to repeat, i don't want an unrealistic camera, but [in addition to all the "hybrid" cameras] at least *one* realistic, pure stills FF camera with 35-45 MP, 6-8 fps, good DR, without any video/audio clutter (except internal low rez feed for EVF), at an affordable price - e.g. 1999

yeah, sorry that camera doesn't sell these days, not even for the just the exclusion of video but the stills specs are lagging too much.

the only hardware difference between video and fast stills - is the encoders.

you need extremely fast sensors for electronic shutter anyways. you need UHS-II or CFE for fast or deep buffers.

so yes, you ARE asking for an unrealistic camera. if you want that, get an used R and consider yourself pretty much there already.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I'm going to need several more stimulus checks before I can afford it.

I picked up the EOS R during the Black Friday sales and I'm still not fully sold on mirrorless but I am enjoying the bump in resolution and low-light performance over the 6D. I'm hoping the R5 continues to improve low-light and DR performance compared to the 5D Mark IV and EOS R.

Why aren't you fully sold on mirrorless?

Upvote 0
Why aren't you fully sold on mirrorless?
I'm not still not used to the EVF. It's just different. I'm also not used to having to use the touchscreen for most adjustments, I miss having physical buttons. They're minor issues and there are definitely some benefits. I'm completely satisfied with the image quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Here is some RECORDING TIME MATH for the Canon R5 camera for DCI 8K video recording at FULL Uncompressed RAW, 3:1 Compressed RAW and 5:1 Compressed RAW recording formats.

DCI 8K FULL RAW video at 10 Bits per colour channel (4:4:4 colour sampling at 30 bit colour) is 8192 by 4320 pixels and 35,389,440 pixels (35.38 megapixels) and 42,467,328 bytes per video frame = 1,274,019,840 bytes per second at 30 fps FULL RAW (or 1.27 Gigabytes per second!) or 76,441,190,400 bytes per minute (76.44 gigabytes per minute) of FULL uncompressed RAW recording time.

Size of CF Express Cards in Gigabytes and Calculated RAW Recording Times
in minutes and seconds at 10 bits per RGB/YCbCr colour channel:

---------------------------------------------
Uncompressed FULL RAW
---------------------------------------------
128 gigabytes = 1 min 40 sec
256 gigabytes = 3 min 20 sec
512 gigabytes = 6 min 40 sec

-----------------------------------------------------
Compressed 3:1 Ratio RAW in minutes and seconds:
128 gigabytes = 5 minutes
256 gigabytes = 10 minutes
512 gigabytes = 20 minutes

Compressed 5:1 Ratio RAW in minutes and seconds:
128 gigabytes = 8 min 20 sec
256 gigabytes = 16 min 40 sec
512 gigabytes = 41 min 20 sec at DCI 8K or 165 minutes at DCI 4K at 24 to 30 fps or about 80 minutes at 4K 60fps!

For still images at the LIKELY 45 megapixels that will be used for this camera in stills mode, we can expect to store about about 14,000+ still images on a single 128 Gigabyte CF express card at the typical 5:1 compression ratio of the HEIF image file format.

Sooooooo, it looks like Canon has done AN OUTSTANDING JOB on FULL RAW and COMPRESSED RAW recording times for the larger 256 and 512 gigabyte CF-Express cards!

If you record only DCI 4K video multiply ALL of the above times BY FOUR !!!!!

AND .... I should note that if you use 4:2:2 H.265 DCI 8K (8192 x 4320 pixels) compressed video recording, you SHOULD be able to get a fairly high record time using 50 to 150 Group-of-Frame (GOP) settings which means on a 128 gigabyte CF-Express card you should be able to get about 20 minutes minimum at the high quality pro-level video settings.

For the 512 Gigabyte cards that's at least 50 minutes of very high quality H.265 DCI 8K video.

If you use medium quality video settings used for things like weddings or documentaries, you should be able to almost DOUBLE those video record times. (i.e. 100 minutes of DCI 8K 4:2:2 video using standard quality profiles on a 512 gigabyte CFexpress memory card)

That's not too shabby as record times for full DCI 8K video resolution! I should note though that H.265 is rather finicky on CONTENT DETAIL and EXCESSIVE MOTION, so your recording time mileage may vary! EXPECT A PLUS OR MINUS 25% leeway on either side of my above estimated record times!

That is AWSOME performance! Kudos to Canon!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0
get an used R and consider yourself pretty much there already.
not nearly. got a 5D3. want a clear and significant improvement. New sensor, around 40 MP, low speed/fps, great DR, latest AF (face, eye, etc.) and state of art EVF.

EOS R with re-used 5D4 sensor and mutilated user interface does not cut it for me. Neither will R6 with only 20 MP.

R5 all fine and dandy, but not willing to pay for lots of video stuff i'll never even touch.

there are many users just like myself: amateur/enthusiast pure stills photogs, Canon has to come up with suitable EOS R models for us, if they want our money and buy-in into R system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
there are many users just like myself: amateur/enthusiast pure stills photogs, Canon has to come up with suitable EOS R models for us, if they want our money and buy-in into R system.
Actually, I came from the 5D Mark III to the R as a pure stills photographer. Canon got my money and I was happy to give it. Many here have done the same. As much as I loved my 5D mark III, the R is better to me. I have taken no video with it. Is the menu system cluttered with video features? Not to me. I just skip that section of the menu and it takes zero time at all to do so. Do I bemoan the fact that I might have paid for features I'll never use? Not for a second. I'll never use auto mode for stills either. We can look at it and say that still shooters are subsidizing video shooters, but maybe it is the other way around.

It is interesting to me that you have a 5D mark III with video features, but are now complaining about not having a pure stills camera to choose. I understand what you want, but you ain't gonna get it... ever. Never. Ever. Right now, you are just beating a dead horse. While you may never buy into the R system, the fact remains that you already own the style of camera you are making protests about. ;) I believe the last FF Canon DSLR without video was the 5D circa 2010. They can be had on Ebay for under $300. That is the only way you are ever going to get what you are pining for. I had the same obsession as you do several years ago. I posted a thread here on this forum that I just wanted a pure stills camera and bewailed that I must surely be paying for things I'll never use. Oh well. You'll always be paying for things you'll never use unless you have a custom camera built just for you. That would run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

You say there are many users like yourself who want a pure stills camera. How many? How many is "many"? See, that's the problem. Not enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
You say there are many users like yourself who want a pure stills camera. How many? See, that's the problem. Not enough.

In my opinion camera makers are underestimating the number. One thing is for sure: it is way larger than number of folks really needing 8k video in a non-video camera today.

Yes, I got a 5D3 and yes, it has video. Not because I wanted it, but depite of it. It was forced down my throat. And yes, I do regret my purchase of 5D3 and f/2.8 EF L zooms. While IQ is fine, AF is not to my taste (no face/eye detect, still gives me shots focused on fence in background rather than on faces in foreground) and most importantly: too big , too heavy, too expensive, too cumbersome for most of my use, most of the time. That's why my 5D3 and L glass are only used for planned shoots and locked in a closet 99,99% of the time, while my EOS M and EF-M are almost always along with me.

I still believe fully capable, affordable and super-compact mirrorfree FF stills-optimized cameras will eventually come. Sized just a tad bigger than Sigma fp to include built-in pop-up EVF and a good power pack. Sensor 35-45 MP, 8 fps, really intelligent AF (face, eye, subject tracking), excellent EVF, priced at 1499, max. 1999. Plus matching lenses sized and priced around where the new Samyang AF lineup is.

Currently camera makers are in the same phase like car manufacturers in the 1970s: only BIG cars. Things changed. a lot. Now there is ample choice of small, fully capable cars as well. I do hope the current crisis and its economic aftermath over the next 2-3 years will bring camera makers first to their knees and then to their senses. One R5 is fine, no problem. But what's sorely missing are *really decent, really compact, really affordable* cameras and lenses. 8k video? Not so much.

We shall see how things play out. In the meantime I'll capture some more stills images with my EOS M plus a few with my 5D3. Not in a hurry to spend money. :)

PS: Speaking of money: short term I am waiting for R5 price to become known. It might be a fun moment, for me. :)

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
not nearly. got a 5D3. want a clear and significant improvement. New sensor, around 40 MP, low speed/fps, great DR, latest AF (face, eye, etc.) and state of art EVF.

EOS R with re-used 5D4 sensor and mutilated user interface does not cut it for me. Neither will R6 with only 20 MP.

R5 all fine and dandy, but not willing to pay for lots of video stuff i'll never even touch.

Wants state of art specs, does not want to pay state of art $$. :sneaky:

(It's ok, so do I)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I wonder if you could use the R5 as a webcam without needing an external HDMI-> USB capture device costing a couple of hundred dollars.
Never understood why a multiple thousand dollar camera can't provide this functionality out of the box for my macbook pro

Same reason Lamborghini's dont tend to have towbars as a standard attachment.

Upvote 0
Yes. Nearly.

The EOS R / 5D Mark IV sensor absolutely crushes the 5D Mark III sensor performance.
aeb234bf5610335407f8a39d35ec62e1.png

It's not even close.

latest AF - check EOS R has that.

3.7Mdot EVF is certainly up there. and you're not getting the 5Mdot one for a $1999 camera either.

So basically a EOS R has everything on your checklist. for cheaper than you want.

what mutilated user interface? the touch bar? news flash you don't HAVE to use it.

So unless the tool, which does as you describe acts and looks EXACTLY how you want then it's not a credible stills machine. Got it.

Sounds like you're just attention-seeking, sorry.

Canon (nor anyone) isn't going to pigeonhole a camera into the EXACT position you want.

even according to your requirements Canon already has the camera that exceeds your requirements.

and i'll say this again, since you quoted me out of context - there's practically no difference in hardware between a video capable ILC and a stills ILC outside of the video encoders. What seems to be even weirder in this entire sub-thread is that you think "video" triples the cost of the camera.

News flash to support 20 fps electronically at 45MP - Canon was already there with 8K video. As long as the sensor and DIGIC can sustain that stills performance, 8K RAW is actually just as easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I wonder if you could use the R5 as a webcam without needing an external HDMI-> USB capture device costing a couple of hundred dollars.
Never understood why a multiple thousand dollar camera can't provide this functionality out of the box for my macbook pro

You can make it work without additional hardware, but it needs a bit of fiddling with extra software: https://docs.crowdcast.io/en/articles/1935406-how-to-use-your-dslr-as-a-webcam

I tried it with my RP and 50/1.8 and it worked great, but FaceTime won't support it, skype, zoom, google hangouts, quicktime did work.

I agree that it would be nice if Canon would support an UVC profile over USB to make this work without hassle.

Upvote 0
The EOS R / 5D Mark IV sensor absolutely crushes the 5D Mark III sensor performance.
It's not even close.
IQ is a bit better. Not a lot.
Mutilated UI: useless touchbar and 4-way controller instead of wheel and proven EOS UI. If Canon wanted to improve things, they should have given it same sensitive AF joystick as 1DX III.

Overall *for me* EOS R does not warrant upgrade from 5D3.

Upvote 0
IQ is a bit better. Not a lot.
Mutilated UI: useless touchbar and 4-way controller instead of wheel and proven EOS UI. If Canon wanted to improve things, they should have given it same sensitive AF joystick as 1DX III.

Overall *for me* EOS R does not warrant upgrade from 5D3.

Umm yeah its much better not just "a bit better". 5D3 is a banding nightmare.

and yet you are fine with an EOS-M and it's ergonomics.

:rolleyes:

Okay .. so basically what we have here is:

- any benefit of an existing camera that already suits your needs is trivialized.

and because of this:

- canon should build a mythical camera (and lenses from what I just saw) at a purely out of your posterior price point, with all Canon's latest r&d features. Because ignoring video, still according to your wish list requires canon to put in all it's latest and greatest development efforts.

- canon needs to release this for cheaper than basically any full frame camera outside of the EOS RP has ever been released at.

I'm sorry but have you been stuck in quarantine too long? feeling okay? need to get out and get some fresh air? It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If you are creating a bleading edge system, to a smaller overall market. you are going to have to MORE for it.. not less. what's going to pay for all that R&D that went into the camera? Oh RIGHT.. the cameras that have both video and stills.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
In my opinion camera makers are underestimating the number.

That's the problem; when opinion and facts get confused. For your opinion to be true means that every single camera maker's market research is wrong and that you have hard evidence to back up your position. You don't. That's irrational.

Yes, I got a 5D3... It was forced down my throat.

Not really. Let's not get melodramatic.

I've bought cameras I regret: Olympus. Nobody forced it on me. If you'd like to talk about what is truly a muddy slog of a menu system, we can go there... to Olympus. My wife loves it, however, she is always in auto and never has looked through the menus. The menus are tragic. The EVF is God awful.

Like @canonnews says, the 5D IV/R sensor IQ gives the sensor in the 5D Mark III a real thrashing. No contest.

Hopefully, someday, you'll find something you'll be happy with. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0