Canon Announces PowerShot G9 X Mark II, G7 X Mark II Video Creator Kit & VIXIA HF-R Series

Nov 1, 2012
pokerz said:
rrcphoto said:
ExodistPhotography said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:
Visionaries Welcome- unless they shoot 4K :)

yes, because the small RX100's really shoot for more than a few minutes of 4K at a time before they overheat.

totally makes sense to add in 4K into an even smaller camera.

Good grief.

Sony and other manufactures have had video cameras shooting 4k for quiet a few years now. I am actually shocked Canon did not include it with this update.. I mean really the Sony AX53 can shoot 4k until the battery is dead or the card is full. So why has Canon not included 4k in its video cams yet??

I'm curious on the SIZE difference between the AX53 and the G9x ..

you DO realize that this thing is even smaller than the RX100 by nearly a 1CM and that can only shoot 4K for 5 minutes?

dfde226b0a6e3f9512eb5fecf99badae.png
For extra 0.92cm thinkness, it can provide 24mm wide, 100mm tele, a built in EVF, 4k 30p, 1000fps , zebra, peaking, log profile, better buffer, better FPS, a bounce flash and a flippy screen.

:eek:

I thought the high-fps was only for few seconds. And it's only on low resolution:
250fps @ 1,824×1,026
1000fps @ 1,244×420

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
douglaurent said:
Very disappointing again Canon. The small size parallel thumbnail videos in Sony cameras do look as good as your best 1080 video quality. Canon's camera lineup historically never had so much good competition with dozens of useful features Canon doesn't offer.

waaa.

except this offers one thing the competition doesn't have. Size.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
douglaurent said:
Very disappointing again Canon. The small size parallel thumbnail videos in Sony cameras do look as good as your best 1080 video quality. Canon's camera lineup historically never had so much good competition with dozens of useful features Canon doesn't offer.

If Sony cameras are so much better, why don't they sell more of them?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
rrcphoto said:
pokerz said:
For extra 0.92cm thinkness, it can provide 24mm wide, 100mm tele, a built in EVF, 4k 30p, 1000fps , zebra, peaking, log profile, better buffer, better FPS, a bounce flash and a flippy screen.

and twice the price.

I noticed you left out that little tidbit.

And that extra 0.92 cm is nearly a 30% increase in thickness. For me, that's the difference between fits in jeans pocket and doesn't fit so gets left at home.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
pokerz said:

and twice the price.

And that extra 0.92 cm is nearly a 30% increase in thickness. For me, that's the difference between fits in jeans pocket and doesn't fit so gets left at home.

Could get bigger jeans. :p

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Orangutan said:
neuroanatomist said:
rrcphoto said:
pokerz said:

and twice the price.

Could get bigger jeans. :p

Found the perfect pants to carry a camera: ;)

attachment.php

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:

yes, because the small RX100's really shoot for more than a few minutes of 4K at a time before they overheat.

Good grief.

Yes, you're right- it makes perfect sense since they are competing for people's iPhone dollars. And as people here have noted, iPhones have 4K video. And yes, I am taking note of your sarcasm and flipping it ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:

Good grief.
Yes, you're right- it makes perfect sense since they are competing for people's iPhone dollars. And as people here have noted, iPhones have 4K video. And yes, I am taking note of your sarcasm and flipping it ;)
I honestly don't get the obsession with consumer 4K - especially in a camera of this size. When viewing videos on a small screen like a phone or on my iPad Mini, 1080p is more than good enough. I often have to reduce the quality to 480p due to insufficient bandwidth and even then it still looks just as good on a small screen. 4K should be left to big budget cinema films, not YouTube cat videos.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
jedy said:
transpo1 said:
rrcphoto said:
transpo1 said:

Good grief.
I honestly don't get the obsession with consumer 4K - especially in a camera of this size. When viewing videos on a small screen like a phone or on my iPad Mini, 1080p is more than good enough. I often have to reduce the quality to 480p due to insufficient bandwidth and even then it still looks just as good on a small screen. 4K should be left to big budget cinema films, not YouTube cat videos.

So, on that note, I don't get the obsession with high-resolution stills on a camera of this size. Why would anyone need 5472 x 3648 stills when viewing on a small screen like an iPhone or an iPad mini? 1080 resolution stills are good enough. After all, Instagram is only 1080 x 1080. Why would a camera of this size need to shoot pictures in anything higher? ;)

Oh, yes- it's because many people do view stills AND watch video on 4K monitors, 5K iMacs, 2880 x 1800 MacBook Pro Retina screens, etc., and on YouTube, which also accepts 4K UHD video. And since iPhones already shoot 4K video (have for 2 years) and stills at 12MP, and since Canon P&S cameras have to compete with iPhone dollars (as per the original point)...well, you get the picture, right? No pun intended...

Upvote 0