Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

This is the R1 in all but name. It makes no sense to have the R3 as well as an R1 which would have the same large integrated vertical battery grip form factor.

There could be a number of reasons for this:

- They don't want to say the 1DX3 is already superseded by this model when it's only a little over a year old

- They know they can't compete with Sony's A1 on price/features and so have given it a mid-tier designation to avoid direct comparisons

- They feel obliged to release a high-end mirrorless camera and lenses with the Olympics coming up, but don't have the 'real' R1 ready yet

I anticipate that once the R1 is released in 2-3 years' time, this model line will quietly fade away, much like the EOS R was undercooked and quickly forgotten about with the arrival of the R5.
Remember the "crazy" R1 specs that were leaked a while ago? I'm starting to think they aren't that crazy.

Not naming this the R1 because of the 1DX III is not a valid business reason to create a new line, so I doubt that as well. You don't hold back new technology in a highly competitive market because someone may not be happy their camera was replaced after a couple of years. They were also able to reuse much of the tech (Sensor, Processor, Software) in the R6 and R5. They have recouped their investment. The people who these cameras are designed for don't care... they don't buy them anyway. The companies that do can justify the cost by the return. An R1 will likely make that workstream more efficient which makes the cost negligible. They also don't have an ego about the number plastered on the front of the camera. They are just tools. I think the market for the R3 are professionals that buy their own gear (ie not employed by a large organization) and people like us who have enough money and passion to want a better camera but may balk at the likely $8k price tag of the R1.

As far as the A1 goes... most direct comparisons show the R5 holding its own against the A1, this one will likely crush it. I'm quite sure Canon doesn't see the A1 as a competitor for the R1. That camera likely doesn't exist. Camera bodies are developed over years. Companies also have a good idea what their competitors are up to. You can be sure they knew the A1 was coming for quite some time. The move to mirrorless is, I'm sure, a program with multiple projects each with specific deliverables and likely is scheduled out at least 5 years. Covid likely delayed some portion of the R5/R6 projects which probably held this one up as well. Expect to see it before the Summer Olympics with a US cost of just under 6k. I expect to see the R1 arriving before the Winter Olympics in 2022 at around USD 8K.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Yes, I think there is no question that Sony has done a great job of marketing, especially with younger folks who are far more likely (I would think) to be influenced by reviewers (and reviews) on the internet and social media. ... ... I'm sure they have improved things, but things I have experienced and read about from photographers over the years make me think that they still are cutting corners when it comes to ergonomics, dust removal, weather sealing, color science, even IBIS. .... If they are invested in Canon , they are not jumping to the Sony A1 or A9 because of a few glitzy specs. That's my opinion.
I couldn't agree with you more! We're on the same boat, same experience with Sony. I really wanted to go mirrorles but the A7iii was such a bad camera to me, I couldn't get over it (great tech at the time, I admit, but everything else... as you said).
But thats why I'm kinda sad that Canon doesn't do more with their marketing, it's still so old school. When you see canon and sony ad on facebook, you understand why young people go Sony.
One thing I'd slightly disagree with you is that I can really see quite some people jumping systems regardless of number of lenses they owned. I know it's stupid but it is as it is. And those people are the ones who later share their opinions on social media, etc... so.. I just don't want Canon to suffer from lack of marketing when their tech is great.

Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
Only 50mp.........what a bummer! :)
Nope just 20mp sorry :p This is also rumoured 120mp camera .Dual pixel 3 movevent pixel shift =120mp
20mp is enough least 10 year . How peoples view 20mp pictures when 95% peoples got no even 4k computer screen.
I think it could do lot more than 30fps ,but canon thinks 30fps is enough , Then its enough

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
There are also some differences in the layout and size of the electronic connections, the bayonet is the same size, but there's more room inside the RF mount. This has been presented as a 'wider' mount, which is causing a lot of confusion.

As I remember RF was presented as a wide mount, but the first presented new Nikon Z-mount was presented as a wider mount. But since the announcements of Z and RF mounts wasn't very far apart in time, I think people got confused. But yes, EF and RF mount-diameter are exactly the same.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
This is the R1 in all but name. It makes no sense to have the R3 as well as an R1 which would have the same large integrated vertical battery grip form factor.

There could be a number of reasons for this:

- They don't want to say the 1DX3 is already superseded by this model when it's only a little over a year old

- They know they can't compete with Sony's A1 on price/features and so have given it a mid-tier designation to avoid direct comparisons

- They feel obliged to release a high-end mirrorless camera and lenses with the Olympics coming up, but don't have the 'real' R1 ready yet

I anticipate that once the R1 is released in 2-3 years' time, this model line will quietly fade away, much like the EOS R was undercooked and quickly forgotten about with the arrival of the R5.
"R1 is released in 2-3 years' time". We will see.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
This could be the replacement for the 7DII if it has the equivalent MP, APS-C pro bodies may now be a thing of the past, if an R7 dosn't come out they will just have to eventully upgrade to full-frame R5 or R3 if they want the latest performance and features.
7Dii fans like me don't want to "upgrade" to full frame we want a crop sensor RF camera similar to the R6 for higher pixel density.
The R5 cropped is only 17mp which is less than my 7Dii and a high mp full frame RF camera will be even more expensive than the R5 and will create huge files which will be a problem to handle.
A modified R6 with perhaps the 90D's 32mp sensor would be very easy to make and be perfect for Bird photography enthusiasts like myself and I would buy one for sure if it's a similar price to the R6
Bizarre how many people have an objection to any crop sensor RF as if it's spoiling things somehow and no we don't want RF-s lenses only full frame EF and RF telephoto lenses
Canon can easily (and probably will) make a crop sensor version of the R6 and it should be a big seller.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon told you the R3 is worse than the 1DX. Compare that to Nikon that told you to expect the Z9 to be better than the D6.

If you believe the R3 is the R1 renamed that implies you think Canon would release a worse camera to replace the 1DX. Sorry that doesn't make any sense.

Likely the main reason both Canon and Nikon have held off so far is they KNOW the cameras in this class need to be at least a little better than the older DSLR equivalents. I doubt many of the buyers in this market give a damn about looking cool and fashionable with their cameras.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Such a cool looking camera , nicer than any other for styling in my opinion and a stacked sensor too.
Also eye controlled auto focus which works pretty good on my old eos 30v and will no doubt be far better with current technology.
Wonder what other cool specs it'll have
Makes Sony's Alpha One look pretty dated and boring styling wise.

Now I'm dreaming about the R7 being like this with an integrated grip and a 30+mp stacked sensor which would be really exciting and I'd be prepared to pay a bit more than the R6's price for it too but realistically I'd be happy with an R6 fitted with an ordinary crop sensor.

Be a very interesting year for new cameras and be exciting to see what Canon , Sony & Nikon tempt us with

Upvote 0
7Dii fans like me don't want to "upgrade" to full frame we want a crop sensor RF camera similar to the R6 for higher pixel density.
The R5 cropped is only 17mp which is less than my 7Dii and a high mp full frame RF camera will be even more expensive than the R5 and will create huge files which will be a problem to handle.
A modified R6 with perhaps the 90D's 32mp sensor would be very easy to make and be perfect for Bird photography enthusiasts like myself and I would buy one for sure if it's a similar price to the R6
Bizarre how many people have an objection to any crop sensor RF as if it's spoiling things somehow and no we don't want RF-s lenses only full frame EF and RF telephoto lenses
Canon can easily (and probably will) make a crop sensor version of the R6 and it should be a big seller.

I don't have any objection to a crop sensor RF body, I hope they do release a modified R6 with the 90D sensor for those 7DII users. But it does sound like the R3 is being marketed towards these users as they are saying the new RF superteles will pair well with it.
I hope you do get your R7 but time will tell.

Upvote 0
I suspect that the R3 will have 20.1mp @ 30 fps and the R1 will have 30.1mp @ 30 fps. Assuming the evolution of the Dual digic X data throughput capabilities. It's usually the processor's through put that defines the camera's spec. Namely 600mb/s and 900mb/s. Those two figures define your mp / fps numbers, cut your pie how you market segment needs it. For Sports, up the fps ratio / reducing the max mp. For landscape, lower the fps and up the mp. Recently Canon have been matching their Mp to fps in their 1 series cameras. For cameras like the 5D / R5 range, there is a double Mp to FPs ratio.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 19, 2021
Nope just 20mp sorry :p This is also rumoured 120mp camera .Dual pixel 3 movevent pixel shift =120mp
20mp is enough least 10 year . How peoples view 20mp pictures when 95% peoples got no even 4k computer screen.
I think it could do lot more than 30fps ,but canon thinks 30fps is enough , Then its enough
Ok i might be wrong . Maybe canon really making 100mp 30fps sport camera ,becouse they can.
Sport photogrpahers are screwed .Who ever wanna be sport photographer nerd can do their job with 70-200mm . No need tigh framing skills or talents anymore.

Upvote 0
Canon told you the R3 is worse than the 1DX. Compare that to Nikon that told you to expect the Z9 to be better than the D6.

If you believe the R3 is the R1 renamed that implies you think Canon would release a worse camera to replace the 1DX. Sorry that doesn't make any sense.

Likely the main reason both Canon and Nikon have held off so far is they KNOW the cameras in this class need to be at least a little better than the older DSLR equivalents. I doubt many of the buyers in this market give a damn about looking cool and fashionable with their cameras.
Well technically the R5 is positioned even lower than the R3 when compared to the 1DX iii BUT for my personal use case the R5 is a way better camera. I actually think the new stacked BSI sensor of the R3 will easily deliver better image quality than the 1DX iii. Probably it just won’t have the 20FPS mechanical shutter. It could be that this spec is the only thing about the 1DX iii that will actually make it a ‘better’ camera than the R3.

Upvote 0
Well technically the R5 is positioned even lower than the R3 when compared to the 1DX iii BUT for my personal use case the R5 is a way better camera. I actually think the new stacked BSI sensor of the R3 will easily deliver better image quality than the 1DX iii. Probably it just won’t have the 20FPS mechanical shutter. It could be that this spec is the only thing about the 1DX iii that will actually make it a ‘better’ camera than the R3.

The things that make a 1DX are different than the things that make an R5. Resolution for the 1DX crowd only needs to be enough. They need speed. They need durability. They need battery life.

An R5 that overheats is upsetting. A 1DX that shuts down gets tossed out of the moving helicopter.

I understand what you're saying and it likely applies to me also but the things that allow Canon and Nikon to charge $$$£££€€€ for these cameras really do matter to those buyers.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
With a stacked sensor with faster readout speed I would expect that the Canon R3 is very similar to the Sony A1 and the Nikon Z9. From the R5 with a traditional sensor we already know that Canon can move 12-bit RAW files at 20 fps from a 45 MP sensor. Canon typically uses CFExpress Type B card which have a two-times faster write speed than the Type A CFExpress cards found in other products. I would expect that the R3 can readily move 45 MP (or maybe more) at 30 fps (only 50% faster) and maybe at 14-bit RAW resolution? 16-bit RAW at lower speeds would be an added bonus for me.

Upvote 0
The things that make a 1DX are different than the things that make an R5. Resolution for the 1DX crowd only needs to be enough. They need speed. They need durability. They need battery life.

An R5 that overheats is upsetting. A 1DX that shuts down gets tossed out of the moving helicopter.

I understand what you're saying and it likely applies to me also but the things that allow Canon and Nikon to charge $$$£££€€€ for these cameras really do matter to those buyers.
What you’re saying is true, those qualities definitely make a 1DX iii more appealing to someone hanging out of a helicopter! Haha.

I just think Canon is trying to be respectful and cautious with people who just spent a lot of money on their 1DX iii. They can do this by saying the position of the R3 is lower than the 1DX iii and most likely it will miss out on some key specs that will give the 1DX iii the edge in SOME situations. But in reality the build quality, weather sealing, battery life and reliability will probably be so close to a 1DX iii that it won’t make a real world, practical difference at all. BUT, importantly, image quality is guaranteed to be superior....

Upvote 0