Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

marathonman

CR Pro
Aug 29, 2016
Genius idea to launch the R3. Focus on stills and take the pros that have little to no interest in video from 1dx range to R3. R1 has to be the absolute pinnacle of what Canon can achieve for both stills and video. Another year to cook it better won't hurt either. Also they could bump the price up for R1 when it launches and lessen any potential impact of cannibalization of cinema line....

These guys are too cute. :cool:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I have never seen so many words with so little information. Probably designed to stop people buying the Sony A1 until they see the full specs. Nice looking body though :)
Most people aren’t switching between systems just because some other company has the latest hotness. If that were true, those dummies would be switching every year or so. Not happening.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
So, after reading official announcement of an upcoming EOS R3 body, with improved AF, optional eye controlled focus point selection, 30FP electronic shutter, back illuminated stacked sensor, EOS 1D style weather sealing, built in vertical grip, along with the statement that the EOS R5 was just the beginning, I cannot begin to imagine what the R1 will ultimately bring to the table. I'm now tightening my belt for this upcoming Canon roller coaster ride and holding on with both hands. Please don't let my wife see the price of this beast when it is officially published. I'm also trying to figure out which body part(s) I am willing to give up in trade for this beast. If this camera is everything they say it is, I won't mind you watching my happy dance when it becomes available. I cannot begin to justify buying it but just wanting it can sometimes be the best argument. After all guys, what do we work for if we cannot allow ourselves some nice toys here and there??? Pardon me now, while I go take measurements and make a place on the photographic bookshelf for my new EOS R3 body. I promise to keep same dusted while I wait for preorder availability.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Genius idea to launch the R3. Focus on stills and take the pros that have little to no interest in video from 1dx range to R3. R1 has to be the absolute pinnacle of what Canon can achieve for both stills and video. Another year to cook it better won't hurt either. Also they could bump the price up for R1 when it launches and lessen any potential impact of cannibalization of cinema line....

These guys are too cute. :cool:
The R3 is going to be the best video camera Canon has released outside one of their cinema lines. You can quote me.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I freaking hated it with the EOS-3 and Elan, and it's going to be worse now because I wear photochromatic progressive bifocals.
I wear eyeglasses and I personally, did not experience any eye controlled focus problems with either of my two EOS 3 film bodies. I loved and embraced the feature. However, I'm not so sure my experience with R3 will replicate my former results, as like you, my glasses are now not only progressive lenses but also transitional. If this "OPTIONAL" new feature works, that's great but that's not the reason I will be buying this body. I have no doubt that reg AF, complimented by BSI stacked sensor and high frame rates will perform just fine for me. If the eye controlled focus point selection works with my eye glasses, that will be an added bonus. I have to admit that I have never pre-ordered a camera, ever. I have always waited on the early adopters to buy, use, assess and report problems back to Canon, so they could get the bugs fixed. Then, once there was some downward movement on pricing, I would consider purchasing, right after B&H or Adorama would notify me of a promo on same. This time, once I hear and am satisfied with the specs, I plan to jump in with both feet, pay full MSRP and enjoy my new Canon Camera. I won't really be able to justify the price but I just don't care. Give it to me Canon. I've worked for it, I've earned it and I want it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I just don't buy the argument that anyone already invested in Canon gear would sooner switch to S*ny (to get an a1, I suppose?) than pick up an R5. Feels unlikely.

You must have missed all those people a couple of years ago who said they were going to go get a S*ny.

:D

Of course, they were mostly paid trolls. Another product S*ny excels at.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
not mentioning any video specs? why?

Since they're talking about stills features, based on the R5 experience, I'd suspect it's primarily a video camera.

This camera will drop to the temperature of liquid nitrogen if you take too many stills, then shutdown until it warms up. But you can shoot 12K 120p video on it all day without it cooling off.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
This makes me happy. By the time I get ready to replace my R, there’ll be some great choices. No rush. 3 more years. Glass first.
I feel this. I only last month purchased the 2 RF primes I was missing, the Samyang 85/1.4 and 14/2.8. They’re amazing, of course, on my RP ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
~45-50 megapixels, I lean towards 50 to add a slight step up from the R5. New sensor tech means it isn't just the same "old" 45 mp sensor from the R5.
I think either R1 or R3 has to be at least 45MP and shoot 8K RAW video.
That makes me wonder about the point of R5c.
Maybe built-in ND is enough or it will need to do 8K 60 FPS.
As much as I do not need it, IBIS + ND would be tempting.
But in order to exceed the R5, it also definitely needs to exceed the R6
R6 has the same sensor and image processor of 1DX III which Canon claims is above R3.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
R6 has the same sensor and image processor of 1DX III which Canon claims is above R3.
Yeah, I get that, I just mean that I don't think Canon is expecting us to buy a $6000 version of the R6 with a built in grip. If the R3 is 20-24 megapixels at 30 fps, it will be hard to justify why you wouldn't just buy two R6 and have 20mp at 20 fps. I get stacked sensor means incredible readout speeds, and there's more to a camera than just these specs as seen in the 1dx mark III, but I do believe this will be roughly around the same resolution as the R5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Global shutter reads the entire sensor at once. This essentially removes the need for any mechanical shutter, meaning much higher fps are possible. Also, for video it removed the distortion that can occurs with rolling shutter when shooting fast moving objects or planning.
I am not sure that a global shutter fully replaces a mechanical shutter at lower speeds.

Upvote 0