Canon Announces That The Powerful Professional Full-Frame EOS R3 Mirrorless Camera Is On Its Way

R6 has the same sensor and image processor of 1DX III which Canon claims is above R3.
It seems to me that the majority of people agree that the R5 is generally as good or better than the 1DX III, I feel like Canon's claims that the R3 will sit between the R5 and 1DX III is really more about preserving the dignity of the "1" moniker.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That’s why you can hear most young people talking about Sony rather than Canon.
I find regular people who are not into tech and do not have a lot of camera experience recommend Canon because their cameras are easier to use.
Most tech and video channels recommend Sony, but a few recognize that most people can't edit 4K on their computers recommend Canon.

Upvote 0
By not mentioning any of the important specs, this is more of a teaser then a 'development announcement' - my guess is that the R3 will basically be a 'Mirrorless 1Dx3', with a few new bells and whistles of course - with the 'R1' name being held over for a high MP body like the Sony A1.

If the R3 does go high resolution, with 45+ MP, then I honestly don't know where Canon could go with the R1 (medium format maybe???)

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I think the wording of the announcement points towards quite a wait before an R1 (replacement for the 1DXiii) is announced. The roadmap they are painting is R5 / R3 / 1DXiii.
For right now. "Quite a wait" may be anywhere from 6 months to 8 months. They dont want every 1Dx3 one camera owner to purchase this camera. It would seem logical for them to purchase the R1 instead. However many professionals own 2 or more bodies.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
As I said in another comment. There’s a lot of people who buy what they want. Not what they need. And Sony probably understood that better than Canon.
You can see a lot of influencers being excited about the A1. It’s still a small camera but great on paper. They wouldn’t use anything like R3 or 1Dx. And other people tend to buy in brands that their favorite YouTuber uses. That’s why you can hear most young people talking about Sony rather than Canon. Maybe we don’t care about it but if canon doesn’t have enough money for R&D in ten years this may be part of it. But I can see that Canon is getting better with marketing.
Yes, I think there is no question that Sony has done a great job of marketing, especially with younger folks who are far more likely (I would think) to be influenced by reviewers (and reviews) on the internet and social media. They understood early that the internet was the most powerful outlet for propaganda that marketing has ever seen. How much was actually organized by Sony and how much was organized by Sony fans is hard to say, but they were (and still are) all over the forums such as this one and many others. The number of pro-Sony YouTube reviewers seemed to far outnumber the other brands - often repeating the same info word for word. Up until the release of the R5 and R6, the moment a new Canon camera was released, a dozen or more anti-Canon reviews were on the internet. Personally, I consider the propaganda techniques of the Sony fandom (whether endorsed or organized by Sony itself) to be such a turn-off that I would never buy a Sony camera again. The other reason I wouldn't buy another Sony is that I did buy the first two versions of the A7 and found that the "great specs' did not translate to being a great camera. I think time has shown that Sony makes great sensors and basically cuts corners on most other aspects of the camera. I'm sure they have improved things, but things I have experienced and read about from photographers over the years make me think that they still are cutting corners when it comes to ergonomics, dust removal, weather sealing, color science, even IBIS. I saw a really high level photographer doing a video on the essentials of post processing. One item was making sure you remove all the dust spots from your photo. I found this most surprising, until I saw that his camera was a Sony! He had more dust spots on one photo than I have in a many month's worth of photos! And now we have a class action law suit against Sony regarding their camera's shutters failing long before their supposed number of actuations. Why am I not surprised?

As for Canon either changing the name or somehow changing their plans regarding the R3 and R1 due to trying to keep folks from buying a Sony? Please, how silly! This camera, and the upcoming R1 will have been under development for 2 or 3 years already. So, no last minute changes will have been made. Plus, anyone in the market for this type of camera will have many thousands of dollars invested in lenses - and will know that it is the lenses that make the system. If they are invested in Canon , they are not jumping to the Sony A1 or A9 because of a few glitzy specs. That's my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
By not mentioning any of the important specs, this is more of a teaser then a 'development announcement' - my guess is that the R3 will basically be a 'Mirrorless 1Dx3', with a few new bells and whistles of course - with the 'R1' name being held over for a high MP body like the Sony A1.

If the R3 does go high resolution, with 45+ MP, then I honestly don't know where Canon could go with the R1 (medium format maybe???)
Well it is impossible to go to medium format (mount, lenses) but they could introduce global shutter and Quad Pixel AF among others (which I cannot imagine!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
I am more thrilled about the following two items.
Full-frame stacked CMOS sensor with a back-illuminated design
Eye Control AF2
I own a EOS 3 which has eye control AF (let's call it ECAF). Yeah it kind of works. I am hoping ECAF2 will be way better than the ECAF on EOS 3
My other hope is that it is at least 50 MP camera and will have IBIS
I know the EOS 3 eye control worked randomly depending on the user's eyes but it worked great for me! Just wish it'd come in on a camera that I don't have to hock the first born for!

Upvote 0
It seems to me that the majority of people agree that the R5 is generally as good or better than the 1DX III, I feel like Canon's claims that the R3 will sit between the R5 and 1DX III is really more about preserving the dignity of the "1" moniker.
AS a 1dx and R5 owner I don't disagree. That being said it does have some advantages over the R5

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Up until the release of the R5 and R6, the moment a new Canon camera was released, a dozen or more anti-Canon reviews were on the internet.
It happened with R5 and R6 as well.
I have noticed that people complain about Sony in forums but not really on YouTube.
People complain about all brands somewhat but with Canon, there is always outrage.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
For right now. "Quite a wait" may be anywhere from 6 months to 8 months. They dont want every 1Dx3 one camera owner to purchase this camera. It would seem logical for them to purchase the R1 instead. However many professionals own 2 or more bodies.
Longer than that. The R3 won't be shipping until (at the very earliest) late this year, and more likely well into next year. I'd be very surprised to see an R1 in the shops before 2023. Which is more like a normal 'life cycle' for the 1DXiii (given that model was an evolutionary change from the previous model).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Good move maybe for multiple body owners to swap one of their 1dx3s for an R3, and then swap out the other for the R1
I think it will depend on the specs. People use 1DXs for very different purposes (different types of stills, video), and I get the impression the R3 is going to be more 'targeted' at particular users. Interesting they don't talk about video capabilities at all (it's all FPS and eye-AF), so maybe it's more stills / sports based. Details of the sensor (when it is announced or leaked) will tell us a lot more. But it's also likely they're trying out at least some of the new hardware (including their own in-house sensors) first in a body which is not the flagship pro body.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
It happened with R5 and R6 as well.
I have noticed that people complain about Sony in forums but not really on YouTube.
People complain about all brands somewhat but with Canon, there is always outrage.
I have to agree with your Canon outrage sentiment. Expanding on that, it always amazes me how so many You Tubers' quickly make excuses for any Sony shortcomings, whether perceived or real. This same camp seems to immediately seek out, in a special effort, no less, to find something, anything wrong with a new Canon offering, then wear their Canon complaint like it's some sort of badge of honor, as they look for another feature or shortcoming to trash and bash. I learned a long time ago, that in buying Canon gear, it doesn't have to beat Sony, it just has to work for me and take my existing Canon lens inventory. It never ceases to amaze me how some Sony fan boys insist their gear makes them king of the hill, while in the same breath they are challenging every single thing Canon does, in order to validate their use of Sony eqpt, rarely admitting to the fact that Canon makes some pretty great cameras and lenses. Take Hugh B of Three complainers and a Blind Elephant, for instance. Here we have an X Canon user, emphasis on the X, who exemplifies the Canon just can't get it right school of thought but oh my gosh, how he gives carte blanche while wearing blinders, to every single thing Sony does, is, has done and will be doing. I guess this is just the price that Canon has to pay for being at the top of the heap. So many just love to take a pot shot and see if they can just somehow relegate Canon to the bottom of the pile.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
This is the R1 in all but name. It makes no sense to have the R3 as well as an R1 which would have the same large integrated vertical battery grip form factor.

There could be a number of reasons for this:

- They don't want to say the 1DX3 is already superseded by this model when it's only a little over a year old

- They know they can't compete with Sony's A1 on price/features and so have given it a mid-tier designation to avoid direct comparisons

- They feel obliged to release a high-end mirrorless camera and lenses with the Olympics coming up, but don't have the 'real' R1 ready yet

I anticipate that once the R1 is released in 2-3 years' time, this model line will quietly fade away, much like the EOS R was undercooked and quickly forgotten about with the arrival of the R5.

Upvote 0
The R3's eye control AF is for still subjects only as far as I know.

Canon USA is quite clear that it works in still photo shooting (so not video) using the EVF. Whether the subject is static or not shouldn't matter.

"1During still-image shooting only, through the electronic viewfinder"

Upvote 0