Canon Announces the Development of New High Sensitivity Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Neo said:
I need this sensor for nighttime animals research. When will be available camera with this chip in market? And how much will it cost approximately?

This was a Canon announcement of a sensor development. Plan on waiting 3-5 years for production, and then be greatly surprised and happy if it appears in a year.

Canon keeps their internal schedules secret, and leaks just don't happen.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Neo said:
I need this sensor for nighttime animals research. When will be available camera with this chip in market? And how much will it cost approximately?

It is a video chip and will appear in a surveillance camera. Its likely that law enforcement, military, and large research institutions who can swallow a $100K price tag will be the initial market. But, maybe I'll be surprised and it will only cost a quarter of that.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Click said:
Impressive performance. Thanks for posting Neo.

this sensor does not look like it's got good DR though. ;D

As far as I am concerned, I am not after night-vision photo-cameras but rather after a 35mm sensor camera beating the Nikon D800 on all IQ-counts [especially resolution, DR, noise] at a price-point not higher than a D800. Should be really easy for Canon to make, compared to fancy night-time bug-photography video gear. :)

Upvote 0

Neo

Canon EOS 6D
Jun 9, 2013
I shure the production cost of this sensor don't exceed price of the 1D X's sensor. It have only larger microlenses above pixels and no more. It provides 3 stops sensitivity over. If you want to see how this sensor shots on 102400 ISO, you must shot by Nikon D4 on 12800 ISO by 2.7 crop mode (about 8 times less area than Full Frame).
But the Canon is very greedy and try to extract the greatest profit. Therefore the price will be overrate to >1000%:( So, I want to see in market at least a Sony NEX-FS100, upgraged to Full Frame (2.25 better sensitivity) by price about $8k.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.