Canon Launches MS-500 – The World’s First Ultra-High-Sensitivity Interchangeable-Lens SPAD Sensor Camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, August 1, 2023 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today that the company is launching the Canon MS-500, an ultra-high-sensitivity interchangeable-lens camera (ILC). The MS-500 is not only the world’s first1 ultra-high-sensitivity camera equipped with a SPAD sensor but also features the world’s highest pixel count2 on its 1” Single Photon

See full article...

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks for thinking of me (and help recently on exposures). Quite interesting but why the shout-out? Were we discussing this earlier? I can't quite recall. Still it's interesting and wouldn't have read it but for your linking me in. A steal at $25,000!
It has the SPAD sensor tech you want in a stills camera :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
It has the SPAD sensor tech you want in a stills camera :)
Well, OK, I'd really like that sensor! I can't lie! But while I've talked about a special sensor recently, it wasn't this one. They patented 3-4 years ago a sensor that would have electronic ND possibly up to 10 stops, single-shot HDR with maybe 25+ stops in a single shot, and non-rolling shutter. Again thx for thinking of me and the article is legitimately interesting.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well, OK, I'd really like that sensor! I can't lie! But while I've talked about a special sensor recently, it wasn't this one. They patented 3-4 years ago a sensor that would have electronic ND possibly up to 10 stops, single-shot HDR with maybe 25+ stops in a single shot, and non-rolling shutter. Again thx for thinking of me and the article is legitimately interesting.
I can't see why 25+ stops of EV would even need ND.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Do SPAD sensors really cost that much to manufacture?
Ehhh, not necessarily, but do you think R&D is free? Novel tech costs what it does NOT primarily due to manufacturing (though that’s of course one factor because yields may initially be low, defect ratio may be high, processes not yet optimized, fraction of manual labor high as production lines not yet automated, and small quantities not benefiting from exonomies of scale…) but due to the need to amortize all the research and development costs incurred before a single finished product was made! Economics 101. Expert scientists and engineers don’t work for free.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I can't see why 25+ stops of EV would even need ND.
Good point! But say you only wanted the brightest half of that band, and it was all values 128-255. You could just manually expand it in Photoshop with the levels dialog to 0-255, and throw away the shadow detail you didn't want, but, in effect you're just using half the brightness values you could be. It wouldn't look quite as good, might possibly have visible banding, AND it's an extra step for you in the processing.

The sensor, from my recollection, has two charge buckets per pixel, and can switch the entire sensor instantly and at a high rate from using charge bucket 1 to charge bucket 2.

To get global shutter: have it start accumulating in charge bucket 1. Switch to 2 and that's the "global" (synchronous) start of exposure in bucket 2. At the end of the shot, switch it globally back to 1, and read out 2, which is your exposure that started and stopped simultaneously: so plane propellers don't look like boomerangs, etc. The minus is that you lose half the dynamic range potential of the shot as you're not using bucket 1 at all, except for some pixels, the first and last couple of microseconds of exposure.

To get ND of say 10 stops: you want 1/1024 of the exposure. Expose into bucket 1 for 1023 microseconds, then bucket 2 for 1 microsecond, then back to 1, and so on. Bucket 2 gets exposed every millisecond or so that way, so for a 1 second shot during daytime when you want to capture movement of cars or something, it will get about 1000 exposures which should make the movement appear continuous. (A one-pixel object moving 1000 pixels would truly look continuous even when pixel-peeping. An object moving all the way across a 45MP screen, 8000 pixels, would look pretty continuous if it was 8 pixels wide, and so on.) The patent doesn't spell out the maximum switching speed but if 1 microsecond is possible, then this kind of continuous shot would mostly work, though there'd be certain very fast-moving objects that wouldn't look quite continuous if you look at full resolution. Still, it'd be a great tool to have. At the end you just throw away exposure 1, which will probably be massively blown out. The minus is also that you'd lose one stop of DR due to throwing away pixel bucket 1.

To get 25 stops of dynamic range (DR, did I say EV earlier? Sorry!) you do basically the same as my ND example, but instead you do an "HDR" combination of bucket 1 and bucket 2. For instance, for a real estate photographer, bucket 1 could capture an indoor room scene while it's blown out for the view out the windows. Bucket 2 would have the view out the windows but the room would be Zone II-III (very dark, almost no detail). Combined, you can see the wood grain in dark wooden furniture inside while details of white clouds outside are also captured. Displaying the resulting image is always a problem, but at least you've captured it. And as you suggested, it's very similar to the ND example except you're also compressing the dynamic range by a factor of two and putting a huge amount of dark shadow detail in there that the photographer may not care about.

To use for a normal exposure: just expose in bucket 1, then switch to bucket 2 halfway through. Read both out and add together. One minus is if something's momentarily bright in the first half (say) of exposure, maybe a glint on a moving car's chrome, it won't totally burn out that pixel as a normal sensor would. You could call this a plus or a minus, depending. I'm sure it'd be bad in some cases.

To use for a high-speed frame rate: expose in bucket 1 only, and have half the work to do to read the sensor data. You lose one stop dynamic range.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ehhh, not necessarily, but do you think R&D is free? Novel tech costs what it does NOT primarily due to manufacturing (though that’s of course one factor because yields may initially be low, defect ratio may be high, processes not yet optimized, fraction of manual labor high as production lines not yet automated, and small quantities not benefiting from exonomies of scale…) but due to the need to amortize all the research and development costs incurred before a single finished product was made! Economics 101. Expert scientists and engineers don’t work for free.
The other considerations are market size and what costs the market will bear. For example, R&D costs for cystic fibrosis (CF) treatment drugs are actually lower than for heart failure (HF) prevention drugs (the latter need multiple Phase 3 trials with thousands of patients), but CF drugs list for hundreds of thousands per year while HF drugs list for a few thousand per year. CF is a small market of very sick people who desperately need meds, HF is a large market of people with high risk but who otherwise often feel pretty healthy and may not even think they need treatment.

Upvote 0