Canon Announces the EOS M6

Nov 4, 2011
drjlo said:
While I am glad that Canon did not abandon the portable M line and that M6 is finally the small size I need, why the heck no M6+EF-M 22mm kit?? THAT is certainly the combo people prefer who want portability..

I agree. M6 + EVF + 18-150 at agreat kit price should be another one. :)

Canon kit offerings are very intransparent, with many differences between markets. Hard to see any logic behind it.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
drjlo said:
While I am glad that Canon did not abandon the portable M line and that M6 is finally the small size I need, why the heck no M6+EF-M 22mm kit?? THAT is certainly the combo people prefer who want portability..

Canon kit offerings are very intransparent, with many differences between markets. Hard to see any logic behind it.

I guess it's due to The Great Fire Sale of 2013 where they shifted a boat load of M + 22/2 kits so they probably decided that -

a) A lot of folk already own one

b) There's already a lot of used ones out there due to the fire sale. I guess some folks were reselling the 22/2 to further recoup costs. Canon probably doesn't want to add to that.

c) Most likely reason - they want to promote and sell their newer offerings. Makes sense after all they put in the R&D and would like to be paid. They probably made their money back on that 22/2 by now and don't care so much about putting it in a kit.

d) Maybe some target consumers would be confused by the 22/2 as it doesn't zoom, gotta keep things simple for kids these days. 18-150 now off you go, you have a complete camera! :p

Also just an afterthought - the rebels don't come with a 40 STM or a 50 STM kit, do they? I've never seen a rebel kit come with a prime lens (sure someone will prove otherwise) so I can kinda see why they decided to keep the M line sorta similar.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Zv said:
AvTvM said:
drjlo said:

I guess it's due to The Great Fire Sale of 2013 where they shifted a boat load of M + 22/2 kits so they probably decided that -

b) There's already a lot of used ones out there due to the fire sale. I guess some folks were reselling the 22/2 to further recoup costs. Canon probably doesn't want to add to that.

c) Most likely reason - they want to promote and sell their newer offerings. Makes sense after all they put in the R&D and would like to be paid. They probably made their money back on that 22/2 by now and don't care so much about putting it in a kit.

d) Maybe some target consumers would be confused by the 22/2 as it doesn't zoom, gotta keep things simple for kids these days. 18-150 now off you go, you have a complete camera! :p

Also just an afterthought - the rebels don't come with a 40 STM or a 50 STM kit, do they? I've never seen a rebel kit come with a prime lens (sure someone will prove otherwise) so I can kinda see why they decided to keep the M line sorta similar.

Or, they learnt the lesson the hard way that a small but very capable beautifully made large sensored mirrorless with a kick ass f2 35mm equivalent focal length prime doesn't sell. So why go that route again? Kit zooms sell, if you don't want one get the body only option and the kick ass 35mm equivalent focal length prime, and the kick ass macro, and the kick ass 11-22.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Zv said:
AvTvM said:
drjlo said:

Or, they learnt the lesson the hard way that a small but very capable beautifully made large sensored mirrorless with a kick ass f2 35mm equivalent focal length prime doesn't sell. So why go that route again? Kit zooms sell, if you don't want one get the body only option and the kick ass 35mm equivalent focal length prime, and the kick ass macro, and the kick ass 11-22.

Just for the record I actually already have the 22/2 and 11-22 and yeah they both kick ass! I'm glad I got my 22/2 early on when they were practically just giving them away. Haha good times! Feel bad for folk who don't have it, such an amazing lens.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Zv said:
Just for the record I actually already have the 22/2 and 11-22 and yeah they both kick ass! I'm glad I got my 22/2 early on when they were practically just giving them away. Haha good times! Feel bad for folk who don't have it, such an amazing lens.

Ditto, I got my M, 22 f2 and 90EX for the price of a 22mm f2, couldn't be happier with that 22 f2.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:
Zv said:

Ditto, I got my M, 22 f2 and 90EX for the price of a 22mm f2, couldn't be happier with that 22 f2.

the problem with that 22mm and the original was the 22mm was dog slow to AF. the 18-55 and subsequent 11-22 were so much faster to AF, but the bad press was already out.

I doubt canon will make another kit with a small micro-STM motor lens again like they did the M.

however, you can still get the 22mm for around 155 USD which is still a bargin considering it goes head to head and makes other lenses look wanting even if they cost 3-4 times as much.

Upvote 0