Canon applies for High Magnification Super Telephoto Zoom Patent

Atypically in patent embodiments, it’s usually difficult for super-telephoto zoom lens to take full advantage of the RF mount.
One reason is that you simply can’t use a Tele extender if the rear elements are sitting too far back in the lens.  Because of this, at times, it’s difficult to determine if a patent application is for RF or EF lenses because there’s so much room in the rear of the lens from the last element to the sensor plane, that it could be either mount type.

In this Japan Patent application, 2022-053697, Canon is applying for some higher magnification (shorter MFD) super-telephoto zooms.
These embodiments show a back focus distance of around 30mm, which would make them more extender non-friendly for the entire zoom range.  But they could fit the extender on for only the telephoto part of their zoom, similar to the RF 100-500L.  With a short back focus distance, these embodiments are certainly RF mount only.
Birders and sports enthusiasts that have long lusted over...

Continue reading...

Sounds like a great allrounder lense, but I think it would be quite heavy. Since the vocal lengths between 70-200mm are covered by multiple other lense options, I wonder if it would make more sense to design a 200-800mm/ 250-750mm lense and imply this patent in order to save as much weight as possible. The RF 800mm/ 600‘mm F11s and the RF 100-400mm have been all about saving weight. So, I hope for Canon to explore this option with these Lense designs as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Given the size of the front element at theoretically 88mm but in reality probably 92mm, I would gander Canon would want to make the 70-700 f4.5-8 a L lens. It sounds like a great all arounder, just hope they can keep the weight to 3.5lb or less and price below $3k.
Well, the 100-500 is 3k, and this has both a wider and longer focal length. So if its L series, I'm guessing 6-8k. One may be a non L and come in at 3k. Which could still be OK if it had some level of weather sealing like the Sigma sports line.

Brian

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well, the 100-500 is 3k, and this has both a wider and longer focal length. So if its L series, I'm guessing 6-8k. One may be a non L and come in at 3k. Which could still be OK if it had some level of weather sealing like the Sigma sports line.

Brian
I think 700/8 makes it L. The 24-240 has both a wider and a longer focal length than the 70-200.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
A RF 60-600 f4.5-8 would have a front element of at least 75mm (probably a bit more than that, say around 80 to 90mm would be my guess). That would be a great lens to have if it was an L lens with the IQ similar to the 100-500 4.5-7.1L one that's my favorite lens already. If it had high magnification at 600mm in addition (say .3X to .5X) then it would be spectacular, and well worth a price of $3K or so.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
As a birder I really do not want a 70-700mm. 400-700, and a close focusing distance, yes.

99% of the time I use my zoom lenses on the tele end only for birding.
A 70-700mm would appear to be a great option for safari photography, where you are switching back and forth between birds and mammals, and don't want to be swapping lenses in a dusty environment. When shooting from a vehicle (or a hide), weight isn't an issue, but often the small planes that are needed on domestic flights to some safari destinations, have strict baggage allowances, so a compact and lightweight 10x zoom on a R5 or R3 would be quite appealing, assuming that there are no issues with flare or ugly bokeh.

But expect to wait 3 years before it gets into production, and expect to pay twice as much as Nikon would charge for something similar.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
No clue and wondering why NOTHING from CR either. I think I'm regretting signing up for a $100 USD weeks before the previous own's departure.
I sympathize with you. I signed up a while ago (at $50 I think) and have enjoyed the posts and also benefited from info on how to buy & sell RF equipment (enough to cover the $50 fee). But I notice a dearth of CR Forum content since after Craig left, so much so that it really feels like just a shell of what it used to be. One can only hope that it'll pick up in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0