"Canon Camera Connect" to replace "EOS Remote" in smartphones

Sep 19, 2014
(Disclaimer: I also posted this in dpreview ;) )

Hello

I am a very happy owner of a 70D. But I am not really happy with the "EOS Remote" app for my Android phone, mainly because I can only download downsized version of the photos in the camera, not the full resolution ones!!!

Today, I have found that there is a new app, "Canon Camera Connect", also made by Canon:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.canon.ic.cameraconnect&hl=en

that apparently was released recently: The first time that I find it mentioned is in Canon's announcement of the PowerShots SX710 and SX610. But as you can read in the Play Store, this app also supports the 6D and the 70D.

I have tested it with my camera and basically, it is the same as the old "EOS Remote" but... yay!! finally it is possible to download the full resolution photos from the camera!

It also mentions that you can download downsized versions of the CR2 files (?!?!?!??!?!??!?!), although I have not found how to do that... (I shot JPG+RAW, and I can only download JPG, maybe if you only have CR2 you get the option... I have to try that later).

It is a pity that "Acquire location information and add it to images on the camera" does not work with the 70D. I wonder why... Anyway, I find more practical to record a GPS track in the smartphone and then sync later in the PC than having the WiFi connection between the phone and the camera all the time enabled and draining the batteries just for this.

According to many comments, this version does not work with Android 5.

Regards

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Working fine with my 70D and iPad.

Except I couldn't find a way to get the preview to AF without taking a shot at the same time.
I can use the MF controls to manually focus.
But if I press the shutter release it AFs and takes a photo in the same action.
So I can't see a way to pre-focus.

UPDATE: Found a "show AF button" in settings. That solved it.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
SPKoko said:
They have also updated "EOS Remote" and you can download the full resolution JPG files:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.canon.ic.eos.eosremote

If you are shooting JPG+RAW, you can download the full JPG file. If you are shooting only RAW, you get a downscaled (1920x1280) JPG file only.

I can only see 1.2 available for iOS in UK. Not 1.3 available yet.

Upvote 0