Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

Nov 13, 2015
Yes they do. But they do not have a R5a.

An R5s (high-res) with pixel-shift, if that is indeed one of its new features, would be great for astrophotpgraphy. Make an improved implementation, taking the pixel-shift stuff already on the market as a baseline.

Hey, Canon, go ahead and put in pixel-shift along with IBIS on the "RII", too, please. That would be quite handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2015
It's absolutly not just you. We've got a 5DIV for weddings and I am somehow reluctant to go down to 20mpx. Asked my wife, how much she crops, maybe not that much, but sometimes we do and then we print up to cca A2 metric format. So curious if the camera under the R6 could have more megapixels, hence a new sensor? But then what would Canon leave off, to have it cheaper than the R6?
A cheaper R6 would be interesting, possibly down to the level of a Nikon Z6 II. Currently, the extra expense of an R6 is not worth the extra expense over a Z6II at least for my purpose of mostly landscape photography.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Now hold on. I didn't say smaller systems can't produce "good photography" just because they're fun. I said the ease of use of a small body is fun for me. The idea that "good" photography is dependent on or even related to the system you're using is incredibly silly. To say otherwise would certainly be an insult to the photographer. It's almost irrelevant, actually, beyond any physical limitations like needing a certain focal length. It would be like saying "sorry Michelangelo, you drew that with a pencil instead of painting it with oils. I guess it's not good.
went right by you......oh well

Upvote 0
It won't be lighter. I doubt that there will be RF-S lenses, but could be wrong about that. My 7D and lenses were not much lighter than FF.
With APS-C in RF mount then there is only 2 options for wide angle and that is adapted EF-S lenses or RF-S lenses. Equivalent to EF-S, RF-S lenses would be a quality zoom (not L), basic zoom and maybe a wide prime

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My primary cameras are 20mp and I have a Canon Pro-2000, printing 16”x24” from 20mp files really isn’t difficult even if you crop. Of course it does help if you get your framing pretty close, but software is so good nowadays and techniques for maximizing what you have are so advanced the only reason I’d like a higher resolution body is for archival purposes And the desire to not fall too far behind in current tech.

You are absolutly right and in fact, I can't hardly explain it rationally - it is mostly a psychological block, because I have got used to those 30mpx of the 5DIV :) I also remember my xy years old post on dpreview, where I was upset at Canon, for going from 14 to 18 mpx, or something like that. Because .... I was worried about the high ISO performance back then.

As for R5 vs R6 .... still think, that if our money situation allows it, we will go for the R5. Both cameras are ultimate machines we have been long waiting for (in the mirrorless sense at least) from Canon. If R5 high iso is not worse more than 1/3 - 2/3 of a stop, I regard R5 (with possible future firmware updates) as being a nice machine to have for the 4-5+ years to come, or even more ....

The more tricky situation for us is the lens - RF ones are not going to be usable on our 70D backup, but we might solve it going full mirrorless, using Rp or its coming successor as a backup, as nowadays, 70D is not a solid backup - it is just that so far, no Canon camera we have owned, failed on us, not even once.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
With APS-C in RF mount then there is only 2 options for wide angle and that is adapted EF-S lenses or RF-S lenses. Equivalent to EF-S, RF-S lenses would be a quality zoom (not L), basic zoom and maybe a wide prime

I bought an EOS RP in 2019 and since that time, Canon could not release an RF f/4L wide-angle lens. Their 3 affordable primes are STM lenses that have a protruding front element (except the 50mm I think but that one got bad reviews for harsh CA) and you have to watch that element retract like a robot every time you power down the camera.

Their L prime lenses and 15-35 2.8 are probably spectacular but you have to sell a human organ to purchase one and will need help carrying them. I have the 24-105 f4L and it’s a beautiful lens but it’s fairly heavy. I was waiting for only 2 lenses: a wide angle f4L and 85mm 1.8 USM prime (not a slow STM macro) and they could not deliver in all this time.

For this reason I’m going to be switching systems instead of waiting. I don’t have any EF lenses and it didn’t make sense to purchase older EF lenses and adapt them now that we are what? 2 years and 4-months into the RF mount? You could argue that the pandemic affected things but Nikon released a slew of highly rated affordable lenses for their Z mount. Ridiculous Canon!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not gonna happen, but with the high-res body I'd love to see Canon abandon the 2:3 ratio and go 3:4 like MF cameras. Or 4:5 even. That 'full-frame' albatross has nothing to do with anything but maximizing image area on 35mm movie film stock. No film! Be free!

My DNP minilab printer does not agree with the departure of the 3:2 format :cool:

Upvote 0
I bought an EOS RP in 2019 and since that time, Canon could not release an RF f/4L wide-angle lens. Their 3 affordable primes are STM lenses that have a protruding front element (except the 50mm I think but that one got bad reviews for harsh CA) and you have to watch that element retract like a robot every time you power down the camera.

Their L prime lenses and 15-35 2.8 are probably spectacular but you have to sell a human organ to purchase one and will need help carrying them. I have the 24-105 f4L and it’s a beautiful lens but it’s fairly heavy. I was waiting for only 2 lenses: a wide angle f4L and 85mm 1.8 USM prime (not a slow STM macro) and they could not deliver in all this time.

For this reason I’m going to be switching systems instead of waiting. I don’t have any EF lenses and it didn’t make sense to purchase older EF lenses and adapt them now that we are what? 2 years and 4-months into the RF mount? You could argue that the pandemic affected things but Nikon released a slew of highly rated affordable lenses for their Z mount. Ridiculous Canon!
Happy for you to switch systems. Pick the one that best suits your needs.
It is clear that Canon has been slow for reasonably priced RF lenses. Not sure how much Covid has to blame for this.
I still use my EF lenses very often and have no issues with them. If you are concerned about price, then buy second hand as the prices are dropping with more people moving to RF mount (as I did). Even if Canon brought out a RF16-35mm/4 today I wouldn't buy it... the EF version is great for landscape/seascape and I don't need better AF etc. The bleeding edge cost will also be high. I bought the RF 70-200mm and RF 100-500mm on sale and they are still expensive but worth it!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I think of these forthcoming cameras, I am probably most interested in a camera between the R and R6 if it has IBIS. The replacement for the RP sounds interesting but I don’t think it will have IBIS at $899 but Id love to be wrong.

IBIS should imo be regarded being a commodity. I can't imagine any future FF camera not having one. At least for me, it is DOA then ...

Upvote 0
An R5s (high-res) with pixel-shift, if that is indeed one of its new features, would be great for astrophotpgraphy. Make an improved implementation, taking the pixel-shift stuff already on the market as a baseline.

Hey, Canon, go ahead and put in pixel-shift along with IBIS on the "RII", too, please. That would be quite handy.
All previous Canon astro bodies were all APS-C. The Ra is the first full frame body.

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
As someone who sold their A7III for an R6 I would say the R6 is quite a big upgrade over the A7III in everything aside from megapixels.

Yep to be honest I agree with you, I believe the R6 really has such a nice feature set. I’m just a bit annoyed that I mostly shoot landscapes (for travel purposes) and a bit of portraiture and dropping from the 30mp of the R to the 20 of the R6 makes me a little afraid of losing details, especially considering how good RF lenses are.

But I can’t argue that the R6 is an underrated and truly wonderful camera

Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
It's absolutly not just you. We've got a 5DIV for weddings and I am somehow reluctant to go down to 20mpx. Asked my wife, how much she crops, maybe not that much, but sometimes we do and then we print up to cca A2 metric format. So curious if the camera under the R6 could have more megapixels, hence a new sensor? But then what would Canon leave off, to have it cheaper than the R6?
I’m with you on the reluctance of losing 1/3 of the resolution of the R. In my dreams, they would justify the lower price with a lower speed (8-10 fps), but it’s pretty evident that they just won’t do it. Maybe they could stop at 4k30 (maybe downsized from 6k like the A7III does, with 24mp) and call it a day.
Would be a nice ergonomic and feature set upgrade from the R, while only losing 6mp

Last edited:
Upvote 0