Canon cameras that I’m told are coming in 2021

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I’m with you on the reluctance of losing 1/3 of the resolution of the R. In my dreams, they would justify the lower speed (8-10 fps) for a lower price, but it’s pretty evident that they just won’t do it. Maybe they could stop at 4k30 (maybe downsized from 6k like the A7III does, with 24mp) and call it a day.
Would be a nice ergonomic and feature set upgrade from the R, while only losing 6mp
I hope you are wrong that Canon won't do it, atlthough I fear you may well be right. A camera with 8 to 10 FPS (with AF tracking), at least close to 30 MP and IBIS might get me interested, if the price was right. Will be interesting to see how the A7 IV compares when it arrives (and Sony's asking price for it!).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I’m with you on the reluctance of losing 1/3 of the resolution of the R.[..]

A bit of apples vs oranges, but shooting the RP (26MP) and the 1DX3 (20MP) side by side in the field during dawn, the 1DX3 pictures had as much detail as the RP ones when viewed fullscreen. The combination of less colour noise, less noise overall and the new low-pass filter made a huge pixel level difference, making up for the 'missing' 6MP.

The 5D4/R sensor is better than the RP one, so my advice would be to borrow/rent an R6 for a straight comparison.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
IBIS should imo be regarded being a commodity. I can't imagine any future FF camera not having one. At least for me, it is DOA then ...

My concern with IBIS is that it's an incredibly intricate electromechanical system subjected to constant use and shocks. We don't really know what the longevity will be in normal use.

At least if a lens IS fails, it doesn't affect the body or other lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
A bit of apples vs oranges, but shooting the RP (26MP) and the 1DX3 (20MP) side by side in the field during dawn, the 1DX3 pictures had as much detail as the RP ones when viewed fullscreen. The combination of less colour noise, less noise overall and the new low-pass filter made a huge pixel level difference, making up for the 'missing' 6MP.

The 5D4/R sensor is better than the RP one, so my advice would be to borrow/rent an R6 for a straight comparison.
Yeah, I’ve also seen many comparisons showing how little difference there actually is between the 1DXIII (and R6) sensor and that of the RP and R (in terms of resolution alone), it’s really a non-issue, but psychologically it has its weight, for some weird reason.
I can’t wait for Canon to bring back the live events: I have so many cameras and lenses I want to try out. 15-35, 70-200, the 1.2 primes. Too much amazing stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Happy to join the speculation, for fun, I would go as follows:
  • $7,199 R1 - I reckon they may just want to beat the $7k level - so, $6,999
  • $4,099 R5s - maybe a bit more of a premium over R5 price, so, say, $4,250
  • $1,999 R7 - agree with you (though to judge by apparent demand on CR, they could charge $3,000 and get many takers.
Cheers!
I’ve got a feeling canon will bump the R7 price up a touch.. I’m guessing $2400.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
As someone who sold their A7III for an R6 I would say the R6 is quite a big upgrade over the A7III in everything aside from megapixels.
Got the R6 while waiting for the High-MPIX R. Much better in use than the original R. Canon now got mirrorless right. But MPIX matters and I can hardly wait for the RS to come out.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
My concern with IBIS is that it's an incredibly intricate electromechanical system subjected to constant use and shocks. We don't really know what the longevity will be in normal use.

At least if a lens IS fails, it doesn't affect the body or other lenses.
Hardly an issue. We Canon shooters lived (far too) many years without. If it breaks after 5-6 years and you for whatever reason still have the body - just continue shooting without.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Why not square ?
When I had the Olympus EM1_II camera with their small sensor (hindering sales vs. APS-C and FF), I often suggested that Olympus come out with a square sensor in a future camera so that they could get (& claim) more sensor area & MPixels from their existing lenses and help their poor sales, and have a camera that didn't need to be rotated to take vertical shots. Of course nothing happened.

I was surprised that some would suggest Canon come out with a different FF format, including square, for a mainstream consumer camera here. If Canon ever did do it, it will be from pressure to go to even wider horizontal formats that have taken over large TV and (possibly) phone displays. Square formats, while ideal (IMHO) to get the maximum (straight edge) sensor coverage of a camera image circle and elimination of camera portrait rotation, just won't happen for a mainstream camera because it is far too costly to make a new sensor and body for it in a mainstream camera and there is little demand for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Bring on the R7 - will be a great addition to my R5 for wildlife!

I agree. I love the R5 for wildlife, but I am finding (still early in the learning curve) that for smaller birds I actually DO need the extra reach I get with the 7Dii. R7 would obviously fix that...and if it's something like 28MP or something, that's an absolute home-run.

Upvote 0
I'm really torn by the prospects of a high-res R5 version. I'm SO itching to get the current 45MP, but I've decided to stick with my 5Div and R for a while longer just to see what happens. High-res would be pretty useful in architectural so I hate to invest in a short term update.

Kind of a moot point as I can't afford ANY new camera just now. Never mind friggin auto-focus TS lenses, for crying out loud.

Upvote 0
Not gonna happen, but with the high-res body I'd love to see Canon abandon the 2:3 ratio and go 3:4 like MF cameras. Or 4:5 even. That 'full-frame' albatross has nothing to do with anything but maximizing image area on 35mm movie film stock. No film! Be free!
Yeah - nice idea, I'd like to see that too. Might make a few people's minds melt though.... :)

Upvote 0
Will those price points help surpass 8,461,490 ILCs shipped in 2019?

For 11 of 12 months of 2020 CIPA reports only 4,789,371 ILCs shipped thus far as COVID-19 disrupted the supply chain and disrupted events that required purchase of new camera hardware.

December numbers will be out after Jan 21.
Who knows - but I'm sure those prices (and those products being available) would help.

No doubt the market is in decline, at least in terms of units shipped/sold. However, 2020 is really not going to be the year to make judgements on - as well as the points you raise, there were also so many consumer constraints - I know lots of people will purchase over the web these days, but for a good proportion, going into a shop and looking at the options, etc. is part of the camera buying process (more so if you're a newbie?). So, shops being closed will have sucked demand too.

I have a number of clients who believe sales (not cameras - other goods) will have some pent-up demand once retailers are all open as normal again - so, subject to how it goes, 2021 may yet be a bumper year.....

Upvote 0