Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=11729"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=11729">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Profits & Revenue Down

</strong>Canon’s Q3, 2012 results have been announced and the news is horrible. Canon only had revenue of $10.3 billion and an operating profit of $908 million.</p>
<p>What’s at fault? Well, according to Canon: “<em>negative impact of economic deterioration</em>” in China and Europe. As always, the yen was blamed as well.</p>
<p>The fact that DSLR sales fell may have played a role, as well as the printer business and business-to-business numbers falling.</p>
<p>Are things going to get better in Q4? Not likely, so they may not make a billion dollars a quarter until 2013 when the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x is on the market at $10,000 a pop.</p>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/canon-announces-q3-2012-results-operating-profit-drops-by-42-pe/" target="_blank">EG</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
<p><strong> </strong></p>

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Please read the !@#$% report!

http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2012/rslt2012q3e.pdf

"Demand for interchangeable-lens digital cameras continued to realize robust growth in all regions while the market for compact digital cameras shrunk due to the stagnation of the global economy."

"Within the Imaging System Business Unit, despite efforts to achieve sales growth with the competitively priced EOS Digital Rebel series along with the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 60D advanced-amateur models, sales volumes of interchangeable-lens digital cameras decreased from the year-ago period due to a delayed new-product launch."

Upvote 0
I wish Canon would take note of what foreign car manufactures did; diversify their manufacturing base to their primary purchasing markets like the good 'ol US of A. I sincerely doubt that a US manufactured camera or lens will cost more to American customers plus they would get the cred of MADE IN THE USA. Many people will purchase or switch based upon this fact alone. It helped steer my purchase of a Volkswagen Passat; it was manufactured in Tennessee.

Upvote 0
jcollett said:
I wish Canon would take note of what foreign car manufactures did; diversify their manufacturing base to their primary purchasing markets like the good 'ol US of A. I sincerely doubt that a US manufactured camera or lens will cost more to American customers plus they would get the cred of MADE IN THE USA. Many people will purchase or switch based upon this fact alone. It helped steer my purchase of a Volkswagen Passat; it was manufactured in Tennessee.
Made in USA is probably better than everywhere else but Germany or Japan :)

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
If you think Canon is hurting, the others are in much worse shape.
Check out Nikon's SONY's huge plummet in sales (78%). They lost $15 million, so any profit at all would look good to them.
Nikon profit is down 48%, almost all in imaging products, their business products only lost a little.
Right now, the big loser is Sony, followed by Nikon. The entire industry is in a tailspin.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
If you think Canon is hurting, the others are in much worse shape.
Check out Nikon's huge plummet in sales (78%). And Sony lost $15 million, so any profit at all would look good to them.

Aye, kind of a sad state of affairs for the industry, not just Canon. Competition among these competitors is a very good thing, but I guess I'm a little bummed Canon came out so good relatively speaking...probably means they won't compete as hard as they might otherwise have if they lost more business to Nikon.

Upvote 0
LMAO. Some time ago I stated on this forum that Canon's pricing for 5DMKIII was fundamentally wrong. Some disagreed. I'll say it again: a quick cash grab from early adopters is not a good strategy in the long run. Not with this product and not in this market. This year could be different for Canon's dslr sales if their marketing folks paid attention to what was happening (and still happening) on today's market. Fans can be loyal, but they are not necessarily dumb. (I'm obviously not talking about the pros who's 5DMKIIIs made a ton of $$ for them since purchase.)

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
ablearcher said:
LMAO. Some time ago I stated on this forum that Canon's pricing for 5DMKIII was fundamentally wrong. Some disagreed. I'll say it again: a quick cash grab from early adopters is not a good strategy in the long run.

Right, that's what did it...too high a price (in your opinion) on one product in their portfolio. LMAO, indeed. I rather think the situation is slightly more complex...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.