Canon CEO hints the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III may be the last Canon flagship DSLR

Thanks. Could you please translate further as not many of us can read Mandarin.
Although Hanzi characters is used in Japan, this is not in Chinese - it's in Japanese (notice the round/circular characters, which are not used in Chinese hanzi).
The quickest way to translate it is to point your Google Translate app towards the image, choose "camera" and let it auto-detect and auto-translate.

Including Google-Translate'isms:
Canon flagship Machine unifiedn
Chairman Mitaria to end Digital SLR
Canon's Chairman and CEO Fujio Mitarai responded to an interview with the Yomiuri Shimbun. The Canon SLR flagship Dell, which was revealed to be "to do", is known as the "EOS | 1" series, the first of which appeared in 1989. The latest model "EOS 1Dx Mark II" released in 2020 will be virtually the last model. Mr. Mitarai said, "The market needs are accelerating to mirrorless. In line with that,
we are moving more and more people", he said, revealing that he is reviewing the development system. Mirrorless has the feature that the shutter operation is electronically processed and there is almost no sutter sound. About the model for professional photographers, Mr Mitari.
The last bit I am unfortunately not able to translate, as some characters are missing in the lower right corner.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Thanks @kaihp

In the last year I’ve done a 180 on mirrorless vs DSLR. A year ago I was using a 1Dx III and felt there would always be a demand for DSLRs.

I sold that 1Dx last week along with virtually all my EF lenses and am completely bought into the R system today. If others are moving in that direction I can believe there will be few if any new DSLRs in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
Thanks @kaihp

In the last year I’ve done a 180 on mirrorless vs DSLR. A year ago I was using a 1Dx III and felt there would always be a demand for DSLRs.

I sold that 1Dx last week along with virtually all my EF lenses and am completely bought into the R system today. If others are moving in that direction I can believe there will be few if any new DSLRs in the future.
Title write: "CEO Mitarai: DSLR era is over"

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Although Hanzi characters is used in Japan, this is not in Chinese - it's in Japanese (notice the round/circular characters, which are not used in Chinese hanzi).
The quickest way to translate it is to point your Google Translate app towards the image, choose "camera" and let it auto-detect and auto-translate.

Including Google-Translate'isms:

The last bit I am unfortunately not able to translate, as some characters are missing in the lower right corner.
Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Indeed. Japanese is in fact written in three distinct writing systems at once; they can (and will) be mixed together even in one sentence. Hanzi is one of them (borrowed Chinese; the Japanese call it 'kanji'), there are also hiragana and katakana. (Hiragana tends to be curvier; the two are collectively known as 'kana'.)

They call the alphabet I am writing this in Romaji and of course they will use it on occasion, especially when using a computer that doesn't support either kanji or kana

Switching between three distinct systems (not including Romaji) makes Japanese probably the most difficult major language to read--there are serious mental gymnastics going on the the skull of the reader.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Indeed. Japanese is in fact written in three distinct writing systems at once; they can (and will) be mixed together even in one sentence. Hanzi is one of them (borrowed Chinese; the Japanese call it 'kanji'), there are also hiragana and katakana. (Hiragana tends to be curvier; the two are collectively known as 'kana'.)

They call the alphabet I am writing this in Romaji and of course they will use it on occasion, especially when using a computer that doesn't support either kanji or kana

Switching between three distinct systems (not including Romaji) makes Japanese probably the most difficult major language to read--there are serious mental gymnastics going on the the skull of the reader.
English does its best to confuse foreigners, like pronouncing: A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
H
English does its best to confuse foreigners, like pronouncing: A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed.
‘Ave you been on the Christmas cheer Alan ?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Thanks @kaihp

I think this is absolutely the final nail for FF DSLRs, but still a question whether any more APSCs will come.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
And I heard once that written Tibetan is so behind the times the spelling is completely random.

American English gets rid of some of the mess in what you quoted by going with "plowman" and (increasingly) "hiccupped." But then we get dumped on for doing that.

Oh, and "doughnut" is becoming "donut" (I used to see "doughnut" all the time, but rarely do now) but "dough" is still "dough." Probably a good thing since just spelling it "do" or even "d'oh" would be confusing.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think this is absolutely the final nail for FF DSLRs, but still a question whether any more APSCs will come.

APSC DSLRs, if they continue, will likely be the Rebel type cameras, either three or four digit model numbers. If they don't....well, there's already the M series (which, contrary to the wet dreams of some here will not be killed); the question is whether anything would come out in RF.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
APSC DSLRs, if they continue, will likely be the Rebel type cameras, either three or four digit model numbers. If they don't....well, there's already the M series (which, contrary to the wet dreams of some here will not be killed); the question is whether anything would come out in RF.
Canon did produce several non professional SLRs after the EOS-1v in 2000. They released several cameras, including the 3000V/Rebel K2 in 2003 and the 300V/Rebel T2 and 30V/Elan 7 in 2004. So it's possible there are still some mid/low end cameras in the pipeline, depending on demand. We'll probably have to wait until COVID subsides and supply chains return to normal to see this happen. Or these events may hasten the decline of DSLRs so there isn't enough demand to produce mid/low end cameras.

I expect they will continue to manufacture and sell the 1DXIII and 5DIV for some time. I assume they have models to predict the trends for the future that will drive when they do their last manufacturing runs.

Upvote 0