Canon EOS M Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
marekjoz said:
hiplnsdrftr said:
This camera is pointless without a built in flash.

Once you attach an accessory flash it is no longer compact, totally defeats the purpose.

Will be sticking with the GF1.

Is the built in flash useful in your GF1?

The built in flash was used constantly on my Contax T3, my Canon S70, G9, S95 and used nearly every night on my GF1. Really can't live with out it.

I'm fine with my "flashless" 1Ds3 and 5D2... but neither are intended to be pocketable. Popping on the 580EX2 just makes an already massive camera a little bigger, I'm fine with that.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
at risk of going a little OT which nex do you have? do you have an EF lens adaptor for it? if so how well does the EF adaptor work and is it a sony or 3rd party beast?

I have a NEX 5n. Great sensor! Same 16 MP sensor as the Nikon D7000 and the Pentax K-5. Great video as well. I'm very happy with the camera. The two problems are the lack of a hot-shoe (can't use PocketWizards) and no 85mm prime. If I get an EF-M I'll use it for stills (with my EF 85mm f/1.8) and use the 5n for video (I prefer Sony video).

I do not have the Metabones http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter?virtuemart_product_id=4&virtuemart_category_id=13 EF to E-mount smart adapter. Sony does not make an adapter.

If I were going to use non-Sony lenses, for video, I'd use the small/light high IQ Nikon AIS manual focus lenses. Their aperture ring can easily be de-clicked. See Duclos CineMod http://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/cine-mod

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
marekjoz said:
EOBeav said:
I guess I'll jump into the waters in this thread. Is this camera for people who want--but can't afford--a pricey rangefinder, a la Leica?

Who'd ever care about M9 as there's no-built in flash at all? ;)

Lots. Built in (on camera) flash is considered an entry level feature for many people.

Upvote 0
EOBeav said:
marekjoz said:
EOBeav said:
I guess I'll jump into the waters in this thread. Is this camera for people who want--but can't afford--a pricey rangefinder, a la Leica?

Lots. Built in (on camera) flash is considered an entry level feature for many people.

ok, I'll edit my post:

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

;)

Upvote 0
hiplnsdrftr said:
marekjoz said:
hiplnsdrftr said:
This camera is pointless without a built in flash.

Once you attach an accessory flash it is no longer compact, totally defeats the purpose.

Will be sticking with the GF1.

Is the built in flash useful in your GF1?

The built in flash was used constantly on my Contax T3, my Canon S70, G9, S95 and used nearly every night on my GF1. Really can't live with out it.

I'm fine with my "flashless" 1Ds3 and 5D2... but neither are intended to be pocketable. Popping on the 580EX2 just makes an already massive camera a little bigger, I'm fine with that.

Jizzz, you lucky night wild animal :)
But seriously speaking I think it really depends on one's needs. I - for instance - not too often make pictures in the night, except the moon, sometimes. In such a case even 580ex2 nor even one paired with 430ex2 won't help a lot (or I just didn't notice it) :)
Seriously again, that's obvious, that it's always better to have even a led flash than nothing, but just for me it wouldn't be so crucial.

Upvote 0

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
marekjoz said:
EOBeav said:
marekjoz said:
EOBeav said:

ok, I'll edit my post:

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

;)

+1 8)

Upvote 0
M

maxxevv

unfocused said:
For those who don't get this camera, let me suggest that we may not understand the generational and cultural differences.

For old American guys like me, a viewfinder is non-negotiable. But for many people, especially the young, who shoot mostly with smartphones, the idea of sticking your eye up against the back of the camera is equally foreign and unnatural.

Over the last couple of years, I've often scratched my head at some of Canon's product announcements. But, I've also learned that they seldom get the market wrong. I expect this one to be a big winner.

That sums up very nicely what seems to be happening indeed.

Canon has proven time and again that they are masters of the 'long game'. And they probably have a road map for things 3~5 years down the line for this too.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
maxxevv said:
That sums up very nicely what seems to be happening indeed.

Canon has proven time and again that they are masters of the 'long game'. And they probably have a road map for things 3~5 years down the line for this too.

You are right. They have proven the web-based self-appointed smart-Alex camera critics wrong over and over and over again. Digital Rebel cameras too small to be handheld? The 5D and 5D2 cameras will be major failures? 18 MP APS-C sensors too densely packed? Pfffft... what do web based self-appointed critics know? ;D

Upvote 0
marekjoz said:
It's interesting how many photos this toy can do on one battery. Assuming it's pocket size, the battery won't be big. It will run in live view mode for all the time and if you put bigger EF lens onto it, the same battery has to run AF and sometimes IS as well.

Yes, with the battery and SD card the camera's weight increases by 36 grams.

If the price is right with the 22mm, this would be a great camera for family events where a DSLR is too bulky, e.g., day trip to the beach, family events, ect.

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
Living in a "tourist city" (Melbourne) I cannot tell you how many DSLR users I see using only liveview to shoot. For me, I want to be able to brace the camera properly, and an eye-level viewfinder is pretty critical for that. That said, I never use the VF on a G-series, because it is a piece of cr@p.

I have a cheap P&S that I let my two year old daughter play with. She's used to see me with either a Rebel or 5DMkII, so she "uses" the P&S by turning it back to front and putting her eye to the lens. For some reason your post reminded me of this.

Upvote 0
EOBeav said:
I'd say no, as it neither has a rangefinder or the looks. If a pro version of this had a rangefinder, however, I'd be right on it, as I like focussing in that way moreso than with a reflex mirror.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Anybody going to get one to try out? It's fairly cheap, $799.

Ordered!

I have a Canon T4i. This is a perfect second camera, especially for video.

I am in the process of paring my 14+ Canon lenses down to 5 or 6.

I am going to go with the 22 2.0, 40 2.8, and 85 1.8 for primes. (From: 24 2.8, 45 TS-E, 50 1.8, 85 1.2, 90 TS-E, Contax 28 mm)

For zooms, I am going with the 18-135 STM for video, along with the 24-70 2.8 II (for absolute highest quality on zoom, I use that lens 80% of teh time), and the 70-200 4.0 (sold the 70-200 2.8 II because it is so heavy.)

I am very happy with the T4i. It has basically the same image that my $8,000 Canon 1DsII had in 2004.

Yes, the Exmor has a bit more DR at lower ISO's. But if you are posting in sRGB mode you are never going to see it. Even with prints you are compressing the DR beyond what the Canon captures, much less the Sony.

I am perfectly happy with the Canon sensors. I have been a pro photog for 30+ years, retired now so downsizing to prosumer level.

Great tools we have today! Now we just need a few video firmware tweaks this fall, either from Canon, or Magic Lantern.

Have fun!
Michael

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
ekstasis16 said:
I have to say, I really don't understand the mirrorless DSLR concept. Who buys these things?

Also - is there a reason why Canon does not offer 720 at 30p video on any of their cameras? I don't need 1080, but I don't want 60p for some shots. Plus I would think you can shoot more on a card at 720/30.
The concept is simple, its a middle camera between point and shoot and DSLR with some good points of both, and a few not so good ones like poor or no viewfinders.
So far this year (Thru May), $42.9 million U.S. dollars worth of mirrorless have been shipped. ( http://www.cipa.jp/english/data/dizital.html )
So its a step up for P&S users. DSLR sales are rising dramatically this year, while P&S sales numbers are falling slightly. This likely means that many users are going for mirrorless rather than a P&S.

I'd been trying to figure it an explanation to mirrorless and this does it. Kinda. I haven't seen mirrorless cameras that offer picture quality or size-savings that would justify the price difference. But camera decisions are based so much on personal vibes. So if it works for you. Cool. Me, I'd rather just use a great P&S like the G12 or Lumix before whipping out the DSLR. Mirrorless just doesn't offer enough for me for the price and size increase.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.