What's Next From Canon?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
unfocused said:
There is nothing about mirrorless that is so compelling that it makes the demise of DSLRs a certainty.

SLRs will always exist, but not at all price points. I think 1D and 5D rigs will be available for a very long time.

But I think Rebel SLRs are a dead man walking (albeit very slowly). With an 18-55 (or 15-45 if you like) crop collapsing lens, you can actually create a smaller rig. And here's the key bit: the habitual FF SLR veteran riposte of 'it's only a tinier rig with a handful of lenses' goes out the window when it's the only lens you'll ever own. See picture -- that's a pretty easy value proposition to make for someone's first ILC.

I eventually see a mirrorless Rebel coming out alongside a Rebel SLR (or a merging of the M line and the Rebel line), and then one day, poof: the next generation of Rebels doesn't have mirrors anymore.

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 8.30.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 8.30.48 AM.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Kit. said:
If it's the only lens you'll ever own, you don't need ILC.

I don't expect mirror-slappers to exist forever (I don't even expect humans to exist forever), but what I could really expect is SLRs returning back to where they were in the film era. Which means FF SLR camera with the current APS-C SLR's size, weight and price.

I agree. Manufacturers have been super-sizing DSLRs for years. If smaller size is what the market wants, we can expect that DSLRs will shrink.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
RGF said:
Like to see canon's update to the 5D M4 following Nikon's D850 announcement. The D850 is a stellar camera, it raises the bar.

Curious to see if Canon keeps the 'all-arounder' and 'high res' 5D lines separate, or if they follow suit with Nikon and just make the 5DS2 the top of line supercamera that really does it all.

My money's on the former, but folks may still interpret the detail camera as being top of the line if it slides in at (say) 60 MP x 6 fps (70 x 5, 50 x 7, etc.). See my ramblings on 7 fps with the 5D4 really muddying the waters between the 5D4 and 5DS2.

- A

Upvote 0