Here are some rumoured RF-S lenses that may be coming in the near future.

Shock! An entire lineup of EOS-M lenses with an RF mount! Obviously years of development went into figuring out a way to dupe Canon customers.
Sadly my APS-c jorney went with Sony for 7 years. I never made full swich into sony. Sony RAW and colors were not worth it. Now the Sony APS-C jorney is ending. Finally.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Shock! An entire lineup of EOS-M lenses with an RF mount! Obviously years of development went into figuring out a way to dupe Canon customers.
If the optical formula of the M version is fine, why change it?

Producing a completely new set of lenses unnecessarily, just because the mount changes, makes no sense. The design and manufacturing costs would need to be recouped and passed on the the customer. I suspect that most people would prefer to stick with the existing designs and keep the purchase price lower.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If the optical formula of the M version is fine, why change it?

Producing a completely new set of lenses unnecessarily, just because the mount changes, makes no sense. The design and manufacturing costs would need to be recouped and passed on the the customer. I suspect that most people would prefer to stick with the existing designs and keep the purchase price lower.
I would love to have the 32mm f/1.4 available for the R7 I preordered! And the 22mm, 11-22 and 28mm macro!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I would love to have the 32mm f/1.4 available for the R7 I preordered! And the 22mm, 11-22 and 28mm macro!
Of course, if new designs offered a significant improvement (e.g. closer MFD, wider max aperture, faster AF, nicer bokeh, additional focal lengths) then they would be very desirable, but obviously a lot more expensive than re-using existing designs, which was the point of my response to Madbox. Just look at the price of RF exotica, compared to nearest-equivalent EF glass!

Ideally APS-C users would have both - affordable re-ported M glass, and highly specified compact exotica. Realistically, we'll have to see just how popular the R7 and R10 become, as Canon are unlikely to pour resources into completely new APS-C glass unless demand is high.

I hope your upcoming R7 lives up to your expectations, the specs look excellent, and the only thing stopping me from getting one is the ergonomics - my muscle-memory would have problems if I was constantly switching back and forth between R5 and R7.

Upvote 0
Sigma has 16 / f1.4 in E mount , which I sold… it is Very fine video lens and it was very sad to sell away.

I wish Canon would come up with L grade RF-s lens , just as Sony has , and Fuji too. Low focus breathing - hopefully. Looks like these lens are a lot cheaper than FF lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wish Canon would come up with L grade RF-s lens , just as Sony has , and Fuji too. Low focus breathing - hopefully. Looks like these lens are a lot cheaper than FF lens.
Don't hold your breath. Years of EF-S lenses, none with the L designation. The EF-S 17-55/2.8 and 10-22/3.5-4.5 delivered optical quality equivalent to some L lenses...the former aged and was never updated, the latter was replaced with the inferior 10-18/4-5.6.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Who’s been duped? Has Canon misled anybody about what they would develop? Where are the official statements about specific lenses coming? Or did you dupe yourself by expecting a bunch of f/1.2 APS-C L primes?

The EF-M 22 and 32 are great lenses in their own rite, and I’ve known people who have bought M50‘s just so they could use the 32. If the 55-250 is based on the EF-S 55-250 STM design, it will be a great lens too for traveling light. And I, for one, was glad that one of the first two RF-S lenses was a port of the EF-M 18-150. I got the EF-M version with my M5, and having an RF-S version was icing on the cake when I preordered the R7 kit. Not L quality perhaps, but definitely punches above its weight for a kit lens.

And I daresay Canon has redefined the expectations of “kit” lenses over the past 5-10 years with the EF-S 18-55 STM, EF-S 18-135 STM and USM, and EF-M 18-150. All sharp and versatile.

(I know this is a zombie thread but I felt compelled to respond)

Upvote 0