Here is the unannounced Canon RF-S 10-18 f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have reported recently that an ultra-wide RF-S zoom lens was coming this year, and it looks like Canon will be bringing the RF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM to fill that need in the RF-S lineup. You can see that this lens has a tiny 48mm filter thread. Unfortunately we don’t have any other specifications

See full article...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Aug 26, 2015
Instead of the 11-22 ef-m port? Or in addition to? Time will tell....

-Brian
They won't make two. This is more useful.
Little slower than the EF-S, but probably even sharper and hopefully not that much more expensive.

First picture shows that it needs to be extended like the EF-M lens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Honestly, a really compelling size. I think it's really cool that Canon has found a way to make the huge RF mount still work for compact EF-M styled lenses like this.

Crop sensor DSLRs and EF-S lenses never struck me as being small enough to make it worth not bringing a full frame camera. It does seem like the RF-S lenses and cameras are getting a lot closer to that, though. At this point you could toss a R50, RF 10-18 and RF 18-150 into a tiny camera bag and have everything from 16mm to 240mm covered in a tiny set-up. Throw in a RF 28mm pancake and you have a decent option when it gets dark, too.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Honestly, a really compelling size. I think it's really cool that Canon has found a way to make the huge RF mount still work for compact EF-M styled lenses like this.

Crop sensor DSLRs and EF-S lenses never struck me as being small enough to make it worth not bringing a full frame camera. It does seem like the RF-S lenses and cameras are getting a lot closer to that, though. At this point you could toss a R50, RF 10-18 and RF 18-150 into a tiny camera bag and have everything from 16mm to 240mm covered in a tiny set-up. Throw in a RF 28mm pancake and you have a decent option when it gets dark, too.
Add the RF 100-400mm to that and you're good to go to 640mm equivalent. Really nice setup!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Canon really doesn't know how to make attractive lenses anymore, but at least its small (while incredibly slow) at this point the iphone aperture in some cases is actually better (despite a tiny sensor).
So a third of a stop slower than the EF-S lens and f/6.3 on the long end is incredibly slow?

I personally believe that the size difference (including going from a 67mm to a 49mm filter thread) outweighs such a small difference in maximum aperture. Of course, YMMV.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Canon really doesn't know how to make attractive lenses anymore, but at least its small (while incredibly slow) at this point the iphone aperture in some cases is actually better (despite a tiny sensor).
I agree, all RF-S lenses are ugly with that super cheap look and oversized mount area.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I agree, all RF-S lenses are ugly with that super cheap look and oversized mount area.
Fair point. Personally, I would rather place a FF lens on a cropped body, but that is my opinion. I do see the advantages of the RF-S glass been smaller and considerably less expensive.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sure, you can cherry pick. The iPhone 15 Pro ultrawide camera f/2.2 with a 1/2.55” sensor. That’s equivalent f/8.5 on APS-C (though it’s also wider, 8mm APS-C equivalent framing).

The iPhone 15 Pro main camera is f/1.78 with a 1/1.28” sensor. That’s equivalent f/3.8 on APS-C, which is ~1/2-stop better than the 18-45 kit lens at the wide end. Of course, the RF 16/2.8 on an R100 is 2/3-stop faster and the combo costs much less than an iPhone 15 Pro. See, anyone can cherry pick.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Sure, you can cherry pick. The iPhone 15 Pro ultrawide camera f/2.2 with a 1/2.55” sensor. That’s equivalent f/8.5 on APS-C (though it’s also wider, 8mm APS-C equivalent framing).

The iPhone 15 Pro main camera is f/1.78 with a 1/1.28” sensor. That’s equivalent f/3.8 on APS-C, which is ~1/2-stop better than the 18-45 kit lens at the wide end. Of course, the RF 16/2.8 on an R100 is 2/3-stop faster and the combo costs much less than an iPhone 15 Pro. See, anyone can cherry pick.
But then where is the advantage when a phone fits in your pocket? Maybe one way to fight smartphones would be to offer substantially better image quality even with the cheapest kit lens.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
You could glue some gold and silver leaf to it, if you want it to look expensive...

Of, the sarcasm! Well done, clap yourself! I don't want it to look expensive, I want it to look better than a £5 Chinese toy. Somehow Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Signa all can design good looking APS-C lenses.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Of, the sarcasm! Well done, clap yourself! I don't want it to look expensive, I want it to look better than a £5 Chinese toy. Somehow Nikon, Sony, Fuji, Signa all can design good looking APS-C lenses.
Maybe it's just me, but I have never looked at a lens while taking photos. A complete non-issue for me. I'm not holding a camera to impress anyone.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0