Canon RF-S 22mm f/2 STM is coming alongside the EOS R50 [CR2]

Jul 21, 2010
I wouldn't say I'm having problems with it, but the pictures from the EF-M 22mm show a big difference between being processed with DPP4+DLO or DxO PL and with Adobe tools. DPP4 and DxO do a great job, Adobe tools give a more muddy result.
Odd. I wouldn’t have noticed since I use DxO PL for RAW conversions (unless forced to use DPP, with a camera not yet supported by DxO).

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Hmm...this thread has me tempted to try out the 22 on the m62. Oddly enough, I just dont think i've ever tried it.

SO far, with this THIRD m62 (thx canon, argh), my 11-22 & sigma 30 are really doing a bang up job. I used to adapt the 35 IS until i got the sigma, that worked great as well. The sigma 30 on the M50 hasnt been great, images are soft :(

Unfortunately, on my M(1), the 11-22 is very blah..sharpness just seems reduced. Very good on the m50 as though.
I've spent the last 1.5 years (yup) tossing these lenses and the M around, and its been an interesting journey to say the least. That said, the lack of IBIS for the primes is just brutal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
And just how many lenses do you think Canon can make in a year? I swear, the number of comments from forum menbers about lenses that have not been released make me think that some people would have been happier had Canon waited until 2024 or 2025 before releasing any R cameras. That would have given them time to make all the RF and RF-S lenses in advance. But, of course trhat would have been completely stupid. So people will just have to understand that they have to wait and not be like 7 year old crybabies.

Talking about the number of lenses, how can a company like Sigma release so many lenses in a year for multiple mounts while Canon only releases 1 or two a year? Genuine question but for me seems like Sigma and Tamron are releasing new lenses at a much faster pace. And they are smaller companies.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Talking about the number of lenses, how can a company like Sigma release so many lenses in a year for multiple mounts while Canon only releases 1 or two a year? Genuine question but for me seems like Sigma and Tamron are releasing new lenses at a much faster pace. And they are smaller companies.
Looking at https://www.sigma-global.com/en/news/ Sigma introduced 6 lenses this year, including CINE lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2022
It'll be interesting to watch Canon release lenses and cameras they've already released and hope that we buy lenses and cameras that we've already bought.
I they fix what's wrong with the M6 II (IS failing and showing a blurred line in photos, interlaced artifacts with higher shutter speeds in e-shutter, bad servo AF, extremely loud shutter and shutter shock resulting in soft images on IS lenses) I'll do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
This is promising. What I would love to see is that Sigma 16mm f/1.4 ported over to RF mount. If only Canon weren’t blockading third parties.
Canon actually does not want to end its M6 Mk 2 sales. Even their refurbished unit is still holding at $679. Only briefly did it drop to $549. The Sigma 16mm is the most popular and sold lens to pair with the M series. Even during this Black Friday period Canon has not reduced the M6 mk 2 refurbished price. Its their cash cow. And they have no replacement at the time. Not at 32.pmp

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I they fix what's wrong with the M6 II (IS failing and showing a blurred line in photos, interlaced artifacts with higher shutter speeds in e-shutter, bad servo AF, extremely loud shutter and shutter shock resulting in soft images on IS lenses) I'll do it.
That camera is a hot seller. Been waiting for a $500 Canon refurbished unit or a Black Friday deal. It doesnt seam to be happening. Canon is holding on to the M6 mk 2 sales for dear life. The Sigma 16mm keeps those sale going without Canon lifting a finger on lenses.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Not exactly gonna replace that Sigma 16mm f1.4. And if the R50 doesn't have 32.5mp it would only replace the M50. Leaving Canon to still lean on their M6 mk II sales. Canon's current Black Friday sales is minus any price reduction of the refurbished M6 mk II. A good indicator that its replacement is a long ways off. Refurbished units offer very good Canon waranties.

Upvote 0