More Canon Gear Appears for Certification, Including 5 New Lenses

CanonFanBoy

Purple
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
5,419
3,758
Irving, Texas
Generalized Specialist said:
ahsanford said:
They simply unveil the next thing you are going to buy. 8)

- A

Haha, speak for yourself! I can't imagine what Canon could release that would entice me to buy. Anything they do is following the leader (tech wise, not sales wise) at this point and you can quote me on this - it WILL be intentionally crippled to some degree so as to not affect sales of the higher up models.

Absolutely not true. Anything (Everything)? Not true. Completely dishonest statement. Willfully dishonest. Just flippantly thrown out there.

As far as "crippling": I have to agree. The lower end cameras should have all the same tech, features, yada, yada, yada as the higher end cameras and they should all cost the same. In fact, there should only be one model offered at just one price point. ::)

Then, you completely ignore (with your "crippling" argument) that there is a lot of tech that begins at the lower end to finally end up at the higher end. Case in point: 70D.
 

Woody

EOS R
Jul 20, 2010
1,157
82
Generalized Specialist said:
Haha, speak for yourself! I can't imagine what Canon could release that would entice me to buy. Anything they do is following the leader (tech wise, not sales wise) at this point and you can quote me on this - it WILL be intentionally crippled to some degree so as to not affect sales of the higher up models.

"Canon isn't generally the first mover, but when they move they move. I think that anyone who underestimates the EOS M and whatever full frame mirrorless Canon decides to produce needs to rethink their position. I'd call Canon opportunistic and well managed. I wouldn't call them the innovator that's going to trigger the next changeover in camera designs by leading the way, but they are quick to understand when that changeover is occurring. Follower that becomes a Winner."
- http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/who-leads-who-follows-who.html
 

jolyonralph

EOS R5 Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
1,411
899
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Generalized Specialist said:
and you can quote me on this - it WILL be intentionally crippled to some degree so as to not affect sales of the higher up models.

Ok, seeing as you asked to be quoted...

You're wrong. Canon doesn't 'intentionally cripple' products.

Can you give me examples please of a camera that has been crippled in such a way where canon have specifically removed or reduced a feature that the hardware is capable of doing?
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,726
2,325
Generalized Specialist said:
I can't imagine what Canon could release that would entice me to buy.

Well, that explains your participation in a forum devoted to rumors about upcoming Canon products. ::)

Or maybe you just lack imagination.
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
24,726
2,325
jolyonralph said:
Can you give me examples please of a camera that has been crippled in such a way where canon have specifically removed or reduced a feature that the hardware is capable of doing?

I can. Most Canon DSLRs, the EOS M line since launch, and even several PowerShot models have in-camera HDR. But Canon omitted that feature from the 1D X and 1D X II. Canon intentionally crippled their highest-end, professional cameras. Bad Canon. Bad!

;)
 

Cory

EOS RP
Oct 20, 2012
553
3
Yardley, PA
youtube.com
Sadly, my Sigma 50mm Art arrived yesterday. There were delivery problems so I cancelled, but it got delivered anyway and by a miracle was here to sign.
Had given up, but figured "let's check it out".
It's a radically stunning lens. Just shocking.
 

eninja

EOS RP
Dec 17, 2012
277
1
Mac Duderson said:
8) 8) 8)
28mm f/1.4 L BR EF
50mm f/1.4 IS EF

PLEASE Canon!! ;D ;D ;D

+1
I desire something in between 24mm and 35mm.
And love a small but magic 50mm.
 

Etienne

EOS R
Sep 19, 2010
1,465
275
Ottawa Ontario
Mac Duderson said:
8) 8) 8)
28mm f/1.4 L BR EF
50mm f/1.4 IS EF

PLEASE Canon!! ;D ;D ;D

The 28 f/2.8 IS is already a great little lens. Very sharp, great contrast and light weight, with IS! A 28 f/1.4 would be huge. Large aperture in a wide lens is overrated.

YES, bring on a compact 50mm f/1.4 IS by any means possible!
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
Etienne said:
The 28 f/2.8 IS is already a great little lens. Very sharp, great contrast and light weight, with IS! A 28 f/1.4 would be huge. Large aperture in a wide lens is overrated.

YES, bring on a compact 50mm f/1.4 IS by any means possible!

I love my 28 f/2.8 IS as well, but environmental portraiture and street can really pop with semi-wide angle + large aperture. And astro folks dream of a wide f/1.4 lens with strong coma control. So I think wide + fast has its place, but I admit it's a somewhat niche need.

- A
 

jolyonralph

EOS R5 Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
1,411
899
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
neuroanatomist said:
jolyonralph said:
Can you give me examples please of a camera that has been crippled in such a way where canon have specifically removed or reduced a feature that the hardware is capable of doing?

I can. Most Canon DSLRs, the EOS M line since launch, and even several PowerShot models have in-camera HDR. But Canon omitted that feature from the 1D X and 1D X II. Canon intentionally crippled their highest-end, professional cameras. Bad Canon. Bad!

;)

It doesn't have the "Food mode" either ;)
 

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
neuroanatomist said:
jolyonralph said:
Can you give me examples please of a camera that has been crippled in such a way where canon have specifically removed or reduced a feature that the hardware is capable of doing?

I can. Most Canon DSLRs, the EOS M line since launch, and even several PowerShot models have in-camera HDR. But Canon omitted that feature from the 1D X and 1D X II. Canon intentionally crippled their highest-end, professional cameras. Bad Canon. Bad!

;)

It seems that rather soon they’ll release a “prosumer” full frame camera, with the crippling removal of the reflex and dedicated PDAF and Metering sensors to protect the 1DxII.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
jolyonralph said:
neuroanatomist said:
jolyonralph said:
Can you give me examples please of a camera that has been crippled in such a way where canon have specifically removed or reduced a feature that the hardware is capable of doing?

I can. Most Canon DSLRs, the EOS M line since launch, and even several PowerShot models have in-camera HDR. But Canon omitted that feature from the 1D X and 1D X II. Canon intentionally crippled their highest-end, professional cameras. Bad Canon. Bad!

;)

It doesn't have the "Food mode" either ;)

My 100L IS doesn't have an illuminated front element.
My 5D3 doesn't have wifi.
The 7D2 has DPAF but no touchscreen to make it sing.
My 600EX-RT II doesn't have the motorized auto-bounce feature.

Reverse nerfing is real. ;)

- A
 

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
932
30
Texas
ahsanford said:
This is a mad flurry from Canon -- seems out of character for them.

Any chance some of these products are not production ready, and Canon is just lumping all this stuff together to keep certification costs down?

- A

Sounds like they are getting ready for a new camera - making sure the lenses are compatible with new features.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
wsmith96 said:
Sounds like they are getting ready for a new camera - making sure the lenses are compatible with new features.

Yes. If a new FF mount was coming, one would expect a flurry of lenses alongside it.

However, the flurry of higher end bodies -- right now three > $1k cameras (1 FF mirrorless, 1 nicer SLR and 1 unknown but takes the larger body battery) are two more than we were expecting. In theory, we'd only (maybe) be hearing about the 80D replacement by now.

- A
 

robotfist

5D Mk III, C300, C200
Oct 23, 2017
32
38
Canon definitely needs to get on the ball and release some new lenses. Where is the 24-70 IS?? Where is the new 50mm?? One look at the DXO charts and you can see how far they are falling behind Sony and Nikon in both lenses and cameras. Canon doesn't have one lens in the top 25. Not one. Their 35mm II shows up in the 28 slot. I know tests aren't everything, but they aren't nothing either. They do tell a lot about lens sharpness, chromatic aberrations, etc. And while Canon still owns the best color science and menu operations for their camera bodies, they can't ride on those things forever, because the competition is hard at work in the lab, chipping away at Canon every day. Sony was a blip on the chart 10 years ago, and look how far they've come? Well it's clear that they aren't stopping. If Canon keeps going at the pace they're going, I foresee a big upset happening in 5-10 years.
 

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
593
680
robotfist said:
Canon definitely needs to get on the ball and release some new lenses. Where is the 24-70 IS?? Where is the new 50mm?? One look at the DXO charts and you can see how far they are falling behind Sony and Nikon in both lenses and cameras. Canon doesn't have one lens in the top 25. Not one. Their 35mm II shows up in the 28 slot. I know tests aren't everything, but they aren't nothing either. They do tell a lot about lens sharpness, chromatic aberrations, etc. And while Canon still owns the best color science and menu operations for their camera bodies, they can't ride on those things forever, because the competition is hard at work in the lab, chipping away at Canon every day. Sony was a blip on the chart 10 years ago, and look how far they've come? Well it's clear that they aren't stopping. If Canon keeps going at the pace they're going, I foresee a big upset happening in 5-10 years.

DXO might be relevant for sensor testing but i don't care about them at all for lenses. They had some really weird lens test results in the past. Why has the Sigma 35mm higher ranking than the Canon 35mm II?
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
robotfist said:
Canon definitely needs to get on the ball and release some new lenses. Where is the 24-70 IS?? Where is the new 50mm?? One look at the DXO charts and you can see how far they are falling behind Sony and Nikon in both lenses and cameras. Canon doesn't have one lens in the top 25.

Careful trusting DXO -- especially with lenses.

DXO has never published their overall score metric to my knowledge. Nikon topped all ratings for a long time as they had the 36 MP D8XX line (vs. 21-22 for Canon) and DXO believed the 'score' of a lens at that time was highly attributable to how many pixels were sitting behind it. Nikon glass scored the best in their database because their sensor resolution was highest.

Then the 5DS came out... and for some reason the overall score metric was changed and now things like transmission and vignetting seem to drive the score much more now. ::) In some cases, the exact same lens from Sigma or Zeiss that is offered in two mounts was raved about for Nikon while considered disappointing for Canon.

Take away the overall score and DXO gets downgraded from partisan to simply nutty and weird and some of their data can be usefully waded through. But all semblance of being some data clearing house doing some service to the photographic community goes out the window when you get to scores and rankings.

- A
 

Attachments

  • 85 Art DXO.jpg
    85 Art DXO.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 60
  • Otus 5DS R.jpg
    Otus 5DS R.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Otus D800E.jpg
    Otus D800E.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 61

3kramd5

EOS R6
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
ahsanford said:
DXO believed the 'score' of a lens at that time was highly attributable to how many pixels were sitting behind it.

Not to mention the dynamic range of the sensor and signal chain behind it (and, one wonders, maybe the effectiveness of the raw converter software), which is also factor in DXO’s lens scoring.

Their measurements are neat, albeit limited to single samples typically. Their scores? Clickbait.

FWIW I don’t have an objection to accounting for things like the camera in their lens evaluations, it merely indicates the usefulness of the data. If you have a body and want to figure out which lenses might be “best” for a given application, have at it. It’s not particularly useful though in comparing lenses alone. If that’s what you want to do, lensrentals has probably the best data.
 

Mikehit

EOS R6
Jul 28, 2015
3,323
512
Generalized Specialist said:
ahsanford said:
They simply unveil the next thing you are going to buy. 8)

- A

Haha, speak for yourself! I can't imagine what Canon could release that would entice me to buy. Anything they do is following the leader (tech wise, not sales wise) at this point and you can quote me on this - it WILL be intentionally crippled to some degree so as to not affect sales of the higher up models.

So why are registered on this forum....? It seems you have zero interest in Canon.
I am not saying you should not be here, just wondering why you bother to do so.
 
<-- start Taboola -->