Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications

Jun 20, 2013
Sharlin said:
Yasko said:
Sharlin said:
Yasko said:
let's hope this sensor is not a mild step back from previous technology like the 6D sensore leaves to suppose ???

To be honest, the presumed target audience for this one couldn't care less about low-ISO shadow lifting.

Are you the presumed target audience of this camera or why do you know that? Some of them surely will.
And in general I am thinking of an overall pattern in Canon's sensor developping direction when I say that I don't hope it will be that way. Because this camera looks promising, and it still has an APS-C Sensor...

APS-C sensor is in the direction of enthusiasts, and those people generally do care about shadow lifting from time to time, me included. :p

"Couldn't care less" was perhaps too strongly worded, but first: this is a Rebel-class camera, many/most potential buyers are going to only shoot JPEG. Second, this seems to be a rather video-oriented camera, also making shadow lifting a moot point. APS-C sensor definitely doesn't equal "enthusiast"—nobody would call the M100 or the 4000D an enthusiast body even though they have APS-C sensors.

totally agree here. this sensor if it is tweaked is tweaked for video and stills is an afterthought.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Yasko said:
Sharlin said:
Yasko said:
let's hope this sensor is not a mild step back from previous technology like the 6D sensore leaves to suppose ???

To be honest, the presumed target audience for this one couldn't care less about low-ISO shadow lifting.

Are you the presumed target audience of this camera or why do you know that? Some of them surely will.

The presumed target consumer of every camera is dominated by people who couldn't care less about 3 or more stop shadow lifting. Only the DR "enthusiasts" who dominate forums such as this one care. Real photographers who take real pictures and know how to set the exposure are the target consumer and it is time for them to dictate the conversation about what is and what is not important in a new camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Talys said:
ritholtz said:
Once we step out of dpr, dxo, rumors, miranda and other internet forums into real world of making pics, there are lot of things going in favor of Canon i.e., EF mount, lens, quality control, color science, service, nice cameras, market share, focus on all spectrum of users and duel pixel focus. Of course then incredibly fortunate competition and add to the shrinking market dynamics.

Although the list of why I like/choose Canon is very long, it boils down to: cameras that work really well for the type of photography I enjoy (studio/wildlife), EF mount lenses, tons of third party accessories, a track record of superb reliability, and the ability to produce images that I am very happy with.

Price also matters. Pretty much every time I've wanted to expand what I do, Canon has had something in the low, mid, and high end price range that does a pretty darn good job -- and within each of those price brackets, it's extremely competitive. Even if I were to really love the A7R3 enough to buy one, I would have a really hard time swallowing Sony prices on a set of what I'd want -- even the most popular zooms, like 100-400, 70-200/2.8, 24-70, 16-35 are all so expensive.

Clap clap.

Upvote 0
Finally 4K becomes a consumer feature. There's no going back.

The real question becomes this: when did we get decent 1080p? With the Canon C100 and superior cinema models?

Honest question.

I can't see a consumer priced and spec'd mirrorless cam producing better video than Canon's really
expensive cine cams, even if most of them do not feature 4K. Canon's own C100 Mark II does not record in 4K, for example.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
mistaspeedy said:
If the C100 mark II was ever dead and obsolete, it is now. Especially for the massive price they ask for, and what it delivers in return.

Maybe they can slash $1500-$2000 off the price tag to make it more relevant. For those who do not want a 4K workflow slowing them down, and just want to deliver decent 1080p.

Uh, the C100 II may or may not be overpriced but something like the M50 definitely doesn't compete with it. Not even close. Whether it has some form of 4K or not.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
mistaspeedy said:
If the C100 mark II was ever dead and obsolete, it is now. Especially for the massive price they ask for, and what it delivers in return.

Maybe they can slash $1500-$2000 off the price tag to make it more relevant. For those who do not want a 4K workflow slowing them down, and just want to deliver decent 1080p.

oh good grief.

just look at a C100 and it should be painfully obvious why these two cameras don't care about each other.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
Yasko said:
Sharlin said:
Yasko said:

The presumed target consumer of every camera is dominated by people who couldn't care less about 3 or more stop shadow lifting. Only the DR "enthusiasts" who dominate forums such as this one care. Real photographers who take real pictures and know how to set the exposure are the target consumer and it is time for them to dictate the conversation about what is and what is not important in a new camera.

Photographer fascism? Too bad video is now part of the equation. Otherwise we wouldn’t be getting this camera ;)

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
roxics said:
Is it shooting H.264 and if so at what bitrate or is it going the mjpeg route like all of Canon's still cameras have done so far?

It's a hobbyist body and also has a brand new processor so I really hope MJPEG is out of the question.

Seems more like a professional VLOGer body. That's a relatively new industry, with people using all kinds of cameras. But Canon does seem dedicated to at least trying to cater to their growing needs (their AF being one crucial technology for vlogging).

Upvote 0
dak723 said:

You you've ever really worked with high contrast scenes (that mostly applies to landscapes, but non-studio portraits, concert photography etc. are also in this category) you wouldn't have said that. DR is a very important metric and "proper exposure" doesn't help if the scene requires say 15 ev range and your camera is only 10 ev.
You can deal with 10-stop-DR-camera too but it doesn't mean professionals don't need greater DR.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Quarkcharmed said:
dak723 said:

You you've ever really worked with high contrast scenes (that mostly applies to landscapes, but non-studio portraits, concert photography etc. are also in this category) you wouldn't have said that. DR is a very important metric and "proper exposure" doesn't help if the scene requires say 15 ev range and your camera is only 10 ev.
You can deal with 10-stop-DR-camera too but it doesn't mean professionals don't need greater DR.

When will the DRoning stop? ::)

The point dak723 is making is that for the majority of buyers/owners of any given camera, DR is not a primary concern. I haven't seen anyone here (seriously, at least) denying the utility of more DR. It's about placing the that utility into the context of overall system capabilities and performance...for the majority. Sure, there are many people who are not in the majority, but most people are – by definition. If you doubt the conclusion that DR is not of primary importance to most buyers, please explain why Canon was the #1 ILC manufacturer 8 years ago – the year that Nikon sensors started delivering significantly more DR than Canon (as did Sony soon thereafter)...and Canon remains the #1 ILC manufacturer, with an even greater share of the ILC market than they had 8 years ago.

The whole 'shadow-lifting stress test' was a DPR-initiated phenomenon that seems to have come about about mainly for two reasons: 1) in recent years, cameras have simply gotten so good that there's little to differentiate them, and 2) DPR needed a way to differentiate them.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking your needs/wants represent those of the majority. If you crave more DR, good for you...so maybe you look at DxOMark's (biased) scores, and decide Sony is a great option. Someone else may highly value weather sealing, and look at Imaging Resorce's test where the Sony a7RIII failed for water ingress, or Roger Cicala/Lensrentals' teardown of the a7RIII showing it's very well sealed, except for the bottom of the camera which has no sealing whatsoever (portrait orientation, who uses that?), and decide that Sony is worthless as far as their needs go.

Personally, I'd never say no to more DR, and I've run into plenty of real-world situations where I needed more DR than my camera could capture. But...I've run into vanishingly few real-world situations where an additional 1-2 stops of DR would have been of significant benefit – the gap between scene DR and camera capability is usually much greater. But maybe you've just never worked with really high contrast scenes before. The five stops in your example, sure, that would make a difference. But that's not really a relevant comparison unless you're comparing a camera from >10 years ago with one from today.

As for your scene with 15 stops DR...which camera would you use to capture that full range? I have some that can, but they're research-grade cameras used in a laboratory setting. Today's ILCs cannot capture the full range of a 15-stop scene. Perhaps you've been a bit duped by DxOMark, since they typically report (calculated) DR following a (theoretical) downsampling to an 8 MP image. While that certainly does increase the DR of an existing image by reducing the noise floor, what it doesn't do is bring back DR that was lost at capture – the details that were not captured are gone.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Quarkcharmed said:
dak723 said:

You you've ever really worked with high contrast scenes (that mostly applies to landscapes, but non-studio portraits, concert photography etc. are also in this category) you wouldn't have said that. DR is a very important metric

totally overblown metric.

there's little use cases that would see a window of 1EV or less difference between a 80D styled sensor and a D7300 / D500 styled sensor.

and many a landscape photographer has had little problems with DR.

in most cases, if you need more DR odds are you are over what the best sensors can provide anyways, so you are far better off honing your technique than worrying about your camera.

granted there's some with real need, however, in alot of cases, having an ISO invariant sensor works against you if you use it as your primary way of boosting shadows to midtones.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
rrcphoto said:
Quarkcharmed said:
dak723 said:

You you've ever really worked with high contrast scenes (that mostly applies to landscapes, but non-studio portraits, concert photography etc. are also in this category) you wouldn't have said that. DR is a very important metric

totally overblown metric.

there's little use cases that would see a window of 1EV or less difference between a 80D styled sensor and a D7300 / D500 styled sensor.

and many a landscape photographer has had little problems with DR.

in most cases, if you need more DR odds are you are over what the best sensors can provide anyways, so you are far better off honing your technique than worrying about your camera.

granted there's some with real need, however, in alot of cases, having an ISO invariant sensor works against you if you use it as your primary way of boosting shadows to midtones.
But I want to be able to lift the shadows by 5 or 6 stops..... How else am I supposed to display random noise?

Attachments

• noise.jpg
    noise.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141
Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:

Not really wanting to see this thread dive into another dr debate but I don't understand what you mean by this? I'm not sure I see how having an iso invariant sensor could be a downside, no matter the way it's used? Not meaning that in a pointed way, I'm just not aware of where it would be bad

On the other hand, the specs for this camera look pretty decent, didn't really think canon would put these specs into a camera at this level. This would appear to be the first camera canon has done in this price bracket/level with 120 fps in HD?

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Quarkcharmed said:
dak723 said:

When will the DRoning stop? ::)

The point dak723 is making is that for the majority of buyers/owners of any given camera, DR is not a primary concern. I haven't seen anyone here (seriously, at least) denying the utility of more DR. It's about placing the that utility into the context of overall system capabilities and performance...for the majority. Sure, there are many people who are not in the majority, but most people are – by definition. If you doubt the conclusion that DR is not of primary importance to most buyers, please explain why Canon was the #1 ILC manufacturer 8 years ago – the year that Nikon sensors started delivering significantly more DR than Canon (as did Sony soon thereafter)...and Canon remains the #1 ILC manufacturer, with an even greater share of the ILC market than they had 8 years ago.

I was commenting on the statement that read as "pros don't care about shadow lifting and just set proper exposure".
That's simply not true. Pros do care about DR, however I know that many modern cameras have enough DR for many purposes, say studio portraiture with controlled light doesn't really require a huge DR.

neuroanatomist said:
The whole 'shadow-lifting stress test' was a DPR-initiated phenomenon that seems to have come about about mainly for two reasons: 1) in recent years, cameras have simply gotten so good that there's little to differentiate them, and 2) DPR needed a way to differentiate them.

Please don't make the mistake of thinking your needs/wants represent those of the majority. If you crave more DR, good for you...so maybe you look at DxOMark's (biased) scores, and decide Sony is a great option. Someone else may highly value weather sealing, and look at Imaging Resorce's test where the Sony a7RIII failed for water ingress, or Roger Cicala/Lensrentals' teardown of the a7RIII showing it's very well sealed, except for the bottom of the camera which has no sealing whatsoever (portrait orientation, who uses that?), and decide that Sony is worthless as far as their needs go.

I do look at DxO mark score but treat it with a grain of salt. They're not really a public organisation and we don't know how exactly they measure. Say their 'perceptual megapixels' is a popular but technically useless metric as we don't even know how exactly they measure it. Any independent scientific measure must be reproducible and nobody knows how to even attempt to reproduce their measurements.

On the other hand, again I don't think that 'majority of photographers don't care about DR'. It may be not the main issue, but they do care.

neuroanatomist said:
Personally, I'd never say no to more DR, and I've run into plenty of real-world situations where I needed more DR than my camera could capture. But...I've run into vanishingly few real-world situations where an additional 1-2 stops of DR would have been of significant benefit – the gap between scene DR and camera capability is usually much greater. But maybe you've just never worked with really high contrast scenes before. The five stops in your example, sure, that would make a difference. But that's not really a relevant comparison unless you're comparing a camera from >10 years ago with one from today.

As for your scene with 15 stops DR...which camera would you use to capture that full range? I have some that can, but they're research-grade cameras used in a laboratory setting. Today's ILCs cannot capture the full range of a 15-stop scene. Perhaps you've been a bit duped by DxOMark, since they typically report (calculated) DR following a (theoretical) downsampling to an 8 MP image. While that certainly does increase the DR of an existing image by reducing the noise floor, what it doesn't do is bring back DR that was lost at capture – the details that were not captured are gone.

I do landscapes and concerts, that's exactly where I need more DR. My 5D MkIV does great in these genres but I cannot say I don't want more. I can compare 5D MkIV RAWs with 5D MkIII, 100D, 70D, 550D (not that I have all those cameras) and it's so much better in terms of DR, it really gives you more freedom.
It's also very important when shooting scenes with constantly changing light (i.e. concerts, especially art/dancing performances). You just get less throw-always with a high DR camera.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
But I want to be able to lift the shadows by 5 or 6 stops..... How else am I supposed to display random noise?

To tell the truth, that's the case where proper exposure could help, it looks like your moon was underexposed from the very beginning. It's wasn't a good exposure if the moon was the only subject.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
tron said:
Canon's 5DMarkIv is greatly improved in DR. I do not understand why many forum members behave as if it does not exist!
Well, not everybody is able, or willing, to pay Sony fullframe, Nikon 850 or 5DIV prices, even on this forum. Also, there are people who think the 5DIV doesn't match up to comparable Sony and Nikon equipment. And there are people who have decided that the 5DIV doesn't have enough to make it worthwhile to upgrade their 5DIII. And so it goes....

Upvote 0
tron said:
Canon's 5DMarkIv is greatly improved in DR. I do not understand why many forum members behave as if it does not exist!

It's exceptionally good to me not only because of DR but because of many other features, and its DR is one of the best on the market. It was one the crucial factors when I was choosing between 5DIV and 5DsR.

If they release 5DsR II with the sensor as good as 5DIV but 50Mpx, it'd be a D850 killer...

Upvote 0