Leaked: Canon EOS M50 Image & Specifications

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
dak723 said:
For heaven's sake - we don't even know that this is a new sensor! Maybe someone types "24.1" instead of "24.2" and everyone goes berserk.

Yeah, with the 24.1 vs. 24.2 thing, I think we're taking 'the 18 MP rebel era' a bit too finely here. It's a different number! Darkness is now light! Cats are sleeping with dogs! :p

Some folks are of the mindset that a small change in res --> new dies in manufacturing --> all new sensor hotness. Sure, it's possible, but the res change could be for a mountain of reasons:

• Perhaps it's the same damn 24.2 MP sensor and Canon doesn't want to sample/report every pixel for DPAF or video processing reasons.
  • Perhaps Canon literally wants the M5/M6 line to look 0.1 MP more premium. (I admit this is a stretch, but 20 vs. 22 and 26 vs. 30 for the 6D/5D lines implies Canon does segment it's lines with resolution in fine margins.)
  • Perhaps this was a long planned new fab line that has nothing to do with architecture changes.
  • Perhaps DPAF is now QPAF (4 pixels) -- which would be sweet but probably won't skyrocket the DXO score, base ISO DR, etc. (which seems to be all anyone cares about).
  • A new resolution doesn't mean it's a major future thing Canon is hanging it's hat on. 7D2, 6D1, 6D2 all got one-off sensors just for those models (if memory serves).
I'm no sensor whisperer, so I'm sure some of the riffing above is rubbish, but you get my point: popping open the bubbly for a 0.1 MP change is wildly, wildly premature.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Quackator said:
rrcphoto said:
Quackator said:
Certainly it will be the first Canon with their new sensor generation.

getting a WAY ahead of things and setting yourself up for disappointment.

Not at all. Introducing a new sensor platform doesn't necessarily mean
the found the holy grail of sensors. They will be somewhat better than
what we have (in Canon cameras) today, but expect no miracles.
again, you are stating something that hasn't been even proven or shown yet. there was no rumors stating this was a new generation. supposedly the 7D Mark II was supposed to show that off.

the actual effective pixels of this sensor would still be 24 mega pixels

they aren't going to change it from 6000x4000 to 6004x4002 or something like that ;)

it's far more likely that it's the exact same or even a bit worse for stills than the M5/M6 because it's tuned for video than it is for stills.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
rrcphoto said:
again, you are stating something that hasn't been even proven or shown yet.
there was no rumors stating this was a new generation.

Remember, we are discussing on a *rumors* website.....

Call it "educated guess". Canon knows that their sensors are
perceived worse than they are, they recognise Sony and more
so Fuji as upcoming competition.

So, there is massive change to expect in the near future, as Canon
has decided and proclaimed to be going into the "more innovation"
direction.

Now, there are registrations known for not a single, but several new
future cameras in the entry level and middle class category.

They are outside of what resembles a regular update cycle, and
they are registered as DSLRs, so this is not (yet) the full swing
over to mirrorless.

Parallel to that Canon introduces new raw file extensions.
The common denominator is made clear by that: Canon is
changing their sensor platform.

Mark my words - we will all know that by Monday for sure.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Quackator said:
rrcphoto said:

direction.

over to mirrorless.

You may consider your words marked. As you say, we will know more in a few days.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Jack Douglas said:
The proof will be in the eating of the pudding when it is served! I'm willing to bet there will be a flood of complaints. ;)

Jack

this just it.

EVERY. Single. release like this, there's a bunch of speculation, that turns into rumor, that turns into canon statements which turn out to be canon lied to us once the actual product came out, and the cries of why couldn't canon do what i dreamt up a week ago.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Quackator said:
rrcphoto said:

direction.

over to mirrorless.

Well, we now know more about the specs of one of those other new DSLRs:

EOS 4000D Specifications

18mp CMOS APS-C
DIGIC 4+

Still feeling good about your prediction? ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dak723 said:
Quackator said:
rrcphoto said:

direction.

over to mirrorless.

Well, we now know more about the specs of one of those other new DSLRs:

EOS 4000D Specifications

18mp CMOS APS-C
DIGIC 4+

Still feeling good about your prediction? ;D
All the good engineers were working on the M50, and the 4000D project got the rejects

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
HaroldC3 said:
If CR is correct about the price (around current M6 prices), it will decimate all previous body sales.

why would it? I wouldn't trade my M5 for this.

It doesn't make any sense if you already own an M5. For most anyone else it would.

As of now all you're giving up is an extra top dial, the EC dial and probably touch and drag AF. You get a swivel screen, a new (better?) RAW format, 4k video, Digic 8 for a (rumored) cheaper price than the M5.

I'm sure there's going to be a gotcha somewhere and it will be interesting to see what it is.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Jack Douglas said:
The proof will be in the eating of the pudding when it is served! I'm willing to bet there will be a flood of complaints.

Nonsense. This will be the camera that pleases everyone. Well, everyone but one...and the EF 50/1.4 IS USM announced alongside the M50 will take care of him.

:)

:p

Upvote 0
This looks like a promising step in the right direction for Canon mirrorless. However, I'd want to see weather sealing on the top end bodies and the native lenses to be really interested.

The whole point of mirrorless, for me at least, is to have a smaller-yet-still-top-of-the-line, lighter system which I can carry further on hikes and into more distant regions without having to hire a team of sherpas. A smaller system means not full-frame, almost by definition, just due to the size of lenses.

This also means the APS-C system needs decent environmental sealing.

Fuji is getting quite good in this regard now. Just some of their older, faster, primes need the weather treatment, but the bodies and newer lenses stand up pretty well by most accounts.

Once again, Canon have the tech and know-how, so I hope they don't relegate APS-C mirrorless to the sidelines in this respect.

Likewise for video use; really I don't care about full frame for video. S35 is the standard and it's fine. As long as you have sufficiently decent, fast glass. Traditionally, Canon don't. Mirrorless is an opportunity to change that.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
http://www.nokishita-camera.com/2018/02/eos-m50_22.html

24.1 Megapixels APS-C CMOS
DIGIC 8
Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance
AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide in live view image display range)
The selectable AF point is a corresponding lens with a maximum of 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)
Pupil detection AF
Dual Sensing IS
Silent mode
DLO in camera
RAW development in camera
Video: 4K 25p / 24p, FHD 60p, HD 120p
Frame cutout from 4K movie is possible
5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS
Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)
Continuous: Up to 10 frames / sec (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)
EVF: 0.39 type 2.36 million dot Organic EL
3 type 104 million dots Bali angle touch panel liquid crystal
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed
Wireless remote controller BR-E1 compatible
Supports HDMI HDR output
Supports the next-generation CR3 RAW format and the new C-RAW compression format
The C - RAW format is 40% smaller in file size than conventional RAW, and it corresponds to in - camera RAW development and digital lens optimizer
Battery: LP-E 12
Size: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm
Weight: 387 g black, 390 g white (including battery and memory card)
Color: Black / White

so eye detection AF is added, not sure what this dual sensing IS is.. silent mode? electronic shutter? greatly improved AF performance. All nice.

Video: 4K 25p / 24p .. did 30p get left out?

There's alot of firsts in here from a canon mirrorless point of view.

more pics of the camera. this is really dumbed down folks. almost M100 dumbed down. probably perfect for vlogging though, everything is from the touchscreen.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
ahsanford said:
Yep. Eye AF + this 'dual sensing IS' (which appears as a separate line item to the electronic video stabilization) would be the exciting new stuff for the stills folks here.

- A

It is probably (hopefully) sensor stabilization and lens stabilization working together, similar to Olympus where the claim up to 5 stops of stabilization....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
It is probably (hopefully) sensor stabilization and lens stabilization working together, similar to Olympus where the claim up to 5 stops of stabilization....

Unlikely that Canon is implementing IBIS. It's dual-sensing IS, probably means the camera's gyro sensors (i.e., electronic level) help support lens IS. That may require lens firmware updates.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:

Unlikely that Canon is implementing IBIS. It's dual-sensing IS, probably means the camera's gyro sensors (i.e., electronic level) help support lens IS. That may require lens firmware updates.

but it does say "5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS"...... 5 axis is most likely IBIS...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:

but it does say "5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS"...... 5 axis is most likely IBIS...

Sorry, no. Current bodies offer '5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilizer · Combination IS', which applies only to video capture. The combination part is optical lens IS with digital rotation and translation correction of the video.

[quote author=Canon]The Canon EOS M5 also features Combination IS with in-camera 5-axis image stabilization, while capturing video, a first in the Canon EOS series. With a compatible lens attachediv, Combination IS leverages optical IS and in-camera digital IS to help create tremendously smooth videos.[/quote]

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
Yep. Eye AF + this 'dual sensing IS' (which appears as a separate line item to the electronic video stabilization) would be the exciting new stuff for the stills folks here.

- A

Eye AF is the single most useful feature in a Sony, in my opinion. I would love to see it (or Pupil AF or whatever) in Canon bodies.

IBIS has been ho-hum for me; it's definitely not remotely close to in-lens image stabilization, though it's slightly better than nothing for lenses that don't have any IS. I found that the problem is that the keeper rate might be slightly higher, but the rate of tack-sharp images was really not any different. So what ends up happening is that I had more 2- and 3-star photos that I never did anything with, but were good enough that I didn't delete.

On lenses with ILIS, people say that IBIS + ILIS is better; perhaps so, but I didn't really notice it in terms of usable shutter speeds on an A7R2. Maybe if I used an A7R3 for a whole bunch more, I'd notice a higher keep rate.

Upvote 0