New Canon Camera Bodies Appear for Certification - Updated

Apr 25, 2011
fullstop said:
Kit. said:
Percentage of what? Do you really not know which physical property you mean by "charge" here? Looks so.
OMFG ... "incessant semantics nitpicking". A telltale characteristic of Canapo ... errm a few esteemed fellow forum members here.
So, your lack of education doesn't let you comprehend that the value you want Canon to display on LCD doesn't physically exist, but is just a "convenient" lie, like Santa Claus?

fullstop said:
100% = full charge = as printed on battery.
That's electric charge, which in SI is measured in coulombs (C; 1 mAh = 3.6 C).

fullstop said:
0% = voltage drops so low, that camera is no longer operational; not including sometimes possible stop gap measures like taking out and re-inserting for a few more shots. [whatever the specific voltage value for a specific camera model is - it is available to firmware].
That's voltage - electric potential difference, measured in volts (V) - a completely different unit. All they have in common is that voltage multiplied by electric charge is energy (or work; measured in SI in joules, J).

fullstop said:
50% = midpoint between 100 and 0% as per definition above.
And what is exactly a "midpoint" between coulombs and volts? Is it square root of joules? Or what?

(how you would expect a camera + a battery to calculate this crap for you is another question)

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
fullstop said:
well, i am "just a user". As such I simply don't accept, that % battery meters are possible and implemented in many smartphones and in some cameras, including e.g. Canon 5D series, only buried in a menu, instead of on screen. With a user menu toggle to switch between OFF, bar indicator, percent #, both.

% battery displays are possible, of course. No one said otherwise nor asked for anyone to believe they are not.

fullstop said:
Ideally I'd not even like to see % battery charge remaining, but "range" information, as in cars where we get quite good "range km/miles left" predictions, based on current consumption and previous consumption and whatever sensor inputs and AI. Not to mention a Tesla instrument panel ... :)

Why not use the same concept on camera displays and/or in viewfinder: predicted (!) "number of shots left" [stills capture] or "minutes of video recording left" [video capture]. In 2018 this should really be possible in any camera without major engineering breakthroughs, programming miracles or excessive additional cost. No?

Yes, any camera using a compatible battery should be capable of doing a rough prediction of time remaining or exposures remaining based on current conditions (temperature, usage, etc). As mentioned several pages ago, an IC (sold by multiple vendors) within the battery assembly can monitor and integrate the current-time function, and communicate it with the camera. The subsequent math would be trivial, but the accuracy of the data is dependent upon the smarts in the battery.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
fullstop said:
well, i am "just a user". As such I simply don't accept, that % battery meters are possible and implemented in many smartphones and in some cameras, including e.g. Canon 5D series, only buried in a menu, instead of on screen. With a user menu toggle to switch between OFF, bar indicator, percent #, both.

I think we’ve been through this already, but to reiterate...

1) It’s possible. On cameras that use ‘reporting’ batteries (where you can see the % charge by going into the menus), displaying that on an LCD would be possible. On the main/rear LCD it could be implemented in firmware, while for segmented passive LCDs like the top LCD on current DSLRs it would need hardware changes and thus have to be on new models.

2) Canon is aware of it.. Folks at Canon have this capability on their smartphones, so they know about it and may even use it themselves.

3) It hasn’t been implemented. Obviously, you know this or you wouldn’t be asking for it.

Conclusion:. Canon doesn’t see the need for it on their cameras. Why? We don’t know, only Canon does. Could be they considered it, and declaratively decided to not implement it to keep the UI streamlined (not just display clutter by showing the same information in two ways, but also to avoid feature creep and ever-expanding menu options). Could be no one is asking for it (people asked for more DR, people asked for f/8 AF, and they got them). Could be they were going to add it to all past and future DSLRs, and they knew you wanted the feature years ago (even though this thread is the first I’ve seen you mention it), but they decided not to include it just to frustrate you. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
fullstop said:

Ideally I'd not even like to see % battery charge remaining, but "range" information, as in cars where we get quite good "range km/miles left" predictions, based on current consumption and previous consumption and whatever sensor inputs and AI. Not to mention a Tesla instrument panel ... :)

Why not use the same concept on camera displays and/or in viewfinder: predicted (!) "number of shots left" [stills capture] or "minutes of video recording left" [video capture]. In 2018 this should really be possible in any camera without major engineering breakthroughs, programming miracles or excessive additional cost. No?

Ummm...

Attachments

• Coffee jpeg.jpg
    Coffee jpeg.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 101
  • Wisdom WEB.jpg
    Wisdom WEB.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0