Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=11001"></g:plusone></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=11001"></a></div>
<strong>The Big Megapixel

</strong>The rumours are starting to fly with Photokina around the corner. Below is the first spec list of a camera said to be Canon’s big megapixel entry.</p>
<p>Please remember, the “EOS-3D” name has been rumoured about since about 2005. With every major photo show, we get lots of mentions of its existence. What I do think is different now, is the “3D” name makes a bit more sense. I think this because the “5D” name is no longer the automatic “big megapixel” camera in the Canon lineup. There is room and separation between a 22mp 5D and a 40mp 3D. My other issue with the “3D” name, is the camera wouldn’t be 3D. However, add the “X” at the end and that should help alleviate any confusion with consumers (believe me, there would be).</p>
<p>Below is a spec list I received today, take it with a large grain of salt as it is a new contact. I’m still on the fence as to whether or not we’ll see another DSLR for Photokina, lots of conflicting information (<em>Thanks Canon</em>).</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS-3D X Specifications</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>46 MP</li>
<li>3.7 frame per second</li>
<li>Dual DIGIC 5+</li>
<li>ISO: (25) 50-6400 (12800)</li>
<li>AF: Same as 1DX</li>
<li>USB 3</li>
<li>CF+SD</li>
</ul>
<p>Another feature mentioned about the camera is better heat dissipation of the sensor compared to other EOS cameras. Apparently, this results in industry leading low ISO performance.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Or they drop a new sensor into the 5D3 body, ramp up the speed of the single DIGIC 5+ processor a little and charge $4500. The 5D3 already has the same AF as the 1Dx...sort of. Of course, there's still the problem that the D800 only costs $3000.

However, I can't see them using the 3D name for anything except a 3-dimensional camera.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2010
Great!

I think it will be meaningless to release a big megapixel camera if they cannot compete with the D800 concerning low ISO DR, so it is nice that this rumor indicates that they can.

Canon is already great at higher ISOs, but I think a big megapixel camera will be used for "medium format"-like applications, like well-lit studio, landscape etc where you 99% of the time shoot at base ISO and therefore the customers will expect DR close to what D800 can perform. Without great DR it will not be the "medium format killer" like the D800 has become.

Upvote 0
There is a real hole in the Canon lineup at $2,000 advanced amateur level . The 60D and the 7D are both rounding 3 years and are showing their age. This thing looks like a $5,000 camera. There are plenty of $5,000 cameras I can't afford already. Maybe this is a response the the Nikon 800E but it certainly doesn't fill the advanced amateur hole in the Canon line up. I can't afford this camera, can you?

Upvote 0
This may be the optimized studio/landscape offering from Canon. The specs certainly look very good. I particularly like that ISO 25 feature.

I do wonder about the name, though. What if it is called 2D or 4D instead? The 3D has been rumoured for sooooooooooooooooo long, I don't think it is necessary to really release such a camera body, unless of course it has the potential to become a legendary body in this business.

Upvote 0
SwampYankee said:
Maybe this is a response the the Nikon 800E but it certainly doesn't fill the advanced amateur hole in the Canon line up. I can't afford this camera, can you?

I just got into digital medium format, and then everything about 35mm (except super telephoto lenses) looks like a bargain :). I actually hope that the camera would aim to be a professional camera (pro body etc) to put some more pressure on the medium format market.

With a 46 megapixel camera one will have to use excellent glass to make full use of it, so even if the body is $5000 the lens cost will soon be higher. Therefore I don't think it makes much sense to make a low cost high megapixel body (that's one of the things I dislike about D800, it should have been a real full-sized pro body I think). An entry-level full-frame with less megapixels would be a better amateur offer.

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
This may be the optimized studio/landscape offering from Canon. The specs certainly look very good. I particularly like that ISO 25 feature.

I would love to see even lower (useable) ISO's... perhaps down to ISO 6 like some of the Kodak DSLR's had.

The crazy-high ISO's are just a waste on landscape cameras. I'm tired of having to spend hundreds of dollars on neutral-density filters just to be able to get useable apertures and shutter speeds.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012
marekjoz said:
That would be really great oppportunity to show a new wide lens at the same time. A lot of excitement but the price tag will be even a bigger killer than this 3dx capabilities. 7900$? 4900$?
I think the fact it can capture high-resolution images in both 3D and 46 MP at the same time leads me to suspect the price will be on the high side, but that's just my educated guess

Upvote 0
KT said:
marekjoz said:
That would be really great oppportunity to show a new wide lens at the same time. A lot of excitement but the price tag will be even a bigger killer than this 3dx capabilities. 7900$? 4900$?
I think the fact it can capture high-resolution images in both 3D and 46 MP at the same time leads me to suspect the price will be on the high side, but that's just my educated guess

Canon Rumors said:
(...)
My other issue with the “3D” name, is the camera wouldn’t be 3D. However, add the “X” at the end and that should help alleviate any confusion with consumers (believe me, there would be).
(...)

Yes Craig, you are right. Does Canon know that or they really intend to sell it in pairs?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.