Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Full Specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marine03 said:
after searching 650D review, every article I've found says NEW Sensor, but they must be considering it new since it includes the phase detection AF.

I just looked at the ISO-series of samples on DPreview.

The 650D definitely has a brand new sensor ... with the exact same performance as the one on the 600D, 60D, and 7D.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Marsu42 said:
If someone offered you two computers, one with windows 8, 256mb of ram, on-board gpu and a core i7, the other with windows 7 (magic lantern!), 4gb ram, dedicated gpu card and w/ a core i5 - which would you take?

I'd take the Mac. Wait, did I just suggest that I'd switch to Nikon?!? :eek:

mac...lol...btw both 256mb and 4gb have insufficient ram for running ligthroom.

having a very good autofocus on camera for videos would turn out to be a big plus...just wait a little more

Upvote 0
aznable said:
mac...lol...btw both 256mb and 4gb have insufficient ram for running ligthroom.

Not my experience, it runs on my 4gb laptop just fine - but as a single application, so it can use almost all of the ram.

x-vision said:
The 650D definitely has a brand new sensor ... with the exact same performance as the one on the 600D, 60D, and 7D.

:) ... and 550d, which is now really a bargain because it runs magic lantern, too!

Upvote 0
aznable said:
1) yap...some days ago i saw lightroom taking 2.9gb on my Windows 8 laptop...so i upgraded to 8gb...as the people shooting videos would upgrade to 650D if the new autofocus in live view mode would turn out a useful features even without ml
You should upgrade your memory to 8GB years ago. Memory is a small investment and bring huge benefit if you use PS and LR. None of my computers is running under 8GB of memory.

Upvote 0
H

Halocastle

Marsu42 said:
Halocastle said:
Besides, Digic 5 is VASTLY more important than pixel count, vastly.

In additions to the good replies above, I have to say I'm at a complete loss how people can think the cpu is the most important part of a dslr when it's mainly shoving pixel data from a (sensor) to b (card). Sure it can do in-camera jpeg what you could only do in postprocessing before (nr, ca correction), it might save some power and for video noise reduction it's certainly important, but that's about it.

If someone offered you two computers, one with windows 8, 256mb of ram, on-board gpu and a core i7, the other with windows 7 (magic lantern!), 4gb ram, dedicated gpu card and w/ a core i5 - which would you take?

Pixel count over processing, really? Good luck with that one. Besides, I never wrote that "the cpu was the most important part" of a DSLR--it's A/F accuacy followed by A/F speed.

Upvote 0
moreorless said:
ssrdd said:
Canon lost around 18MP, saying this is a brand new technology. sick of u.

didn't they know about 3200???

For most entry level users I think they've taken the correct route, FF DSLR's like the D800/5D mk3 are one thing as most buyers there are going to be willing to invest in quality lenses but 90% of entry level users stick with either kit zooms or superzooms. Those lenses(and indeed many more expensive ones) simpley arent going to make the most of 24 MP while the extras on the 650D(better AF, higher FPS, better viewfinder) are going to be a bonus to pretty much any users even if they don't shoot video or care about the touch screen.

Personally the impression I'm getting from the 650D is that its partly a response to the mirrorless market looking to emphasize the advantages of DSLR's with the better AF and VF.

If Canon introduce there own mirrorless as rumoured I'd guess its going to be positioned below the 650D as the entry level to large sensor cameras.

1200usd [including lens] is a cheap alternative for entry level user???? great as long as u have money.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
That was why Canon invented HSS so that sync speed didn't matter.

This certainly fixes it for the most part, but as you know it's no real replacement: higher battery drain, lower flash output & no 2nd curtain sync.

ssrdd said:
1200usd [including lens] is a cheap alternative for entry level user???? great as long as u have money.

For enthusiast's standards of this forum, this is extremely cheap relative to other Canon gear people are getting for their recreation - "entry level" means "anything below the 7d" and L lenses, get used to it or buy a Nikon, you cheapo :p ...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

aznable said:
1) yap...some days ago i saw lightroom taking 2.9gb on my Windows 8 laptop...so i upgraded to 8gb...as the people shooting videos would upgrade to 650D if the new autofocus in live view mode would turn out a useful features even without ml

How are you finding Win8? - I am not keen on the new interface

The kernal is of course almost pure Win 7 so there shouldn't be problems there

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2012
cliffwang said:
You should upgrade your memory to 8GB years ago. Memory is a small investment and bring huge benefit if you use PS and LR. None of my computers is running under 8GB of memory.

my laptop is used mainly for work, so it's used more as a terminal than a workstation and i dont used PS at all, but for lightroom i have a server at work with 64gb, 8 xeon cores and 1.4GB/sec bandwidth to a EMC2 VMAX; of course it's not a dedicated machine, i do different kida games with them.

a nice upgrade you should do is to get a good ssd for you workstations… i saw SSD Sandisk extreme getting cheap enough lately...leass than 200€ for 240GB

but we are going OT

10x for the good advice anyway

Upvote 0
Back to the camera... its looking to me like the new 18MP sensor itself is not making any real contributions to IQ/DR/ISO. the marketing thrust of this camera is about the AF and in-camera jpg processing, such as the four-image noise reduction capability. I'm just not seeing anyone suggest that ISO and noise were addressed in this sensor technology cycle.

Upvote 0
aznable said:
my laptop is used mainly for work, so it's used more as a terminal than a workstation and i dont used PS at all, but for lightroom i have a server at work with 64gb, 8 xeon cores and 1.4GB/sec bandwidth to a EMC2 VMAX; of course it's not a dedicated machine, i do different kida games with them.

a nice upgrade you should do is to get a good ssd for you workstations… i saw SSD Sandisk extreme getting cheap enough lately...leass than 200€ for 240GB

but we are going OT

10x for the good advice anyway

4 SSDs in my 6 systems. I put 128GB SSDs for my laptops and 64GB SSDs for desktops + HDD RAID. All systems and applications are on SSDs. HDDs are only for data storage. Actually when you have HDD RAID, the HDD's performance are also great. My 5 2TB RAID(total 8TB storage) can reach about 200MB/sec.

Upvote 0
ssrdd said:
I think the value is depends on how much you care about photos. One of my friend makes more money than me. Last weekend he asked me which DSLR is good to buy. Since he hasn't used DSLR, I believe T4i might be a good one for a beginner. When he heard the T4i + 40mm is about 1K, he asked me for other suggestion. Thus, when he asked me how much I spent for my gears, my answers is that you have better not to know.

Upvote 0
it really looks like the same 3 years old sensor from the 7d..

basically what does the digic5 do which digic4 could not?

from wiki

"DIGIC 5 is now featured on Canon compact cameras like PowerShot SX40 HS to achieve a capture rate of 10.3 frames per second at full resolution in High-Speed Burst HQ, Full HD 1080p Videos and Intelligent Image Stabilization. The new DIGIC 5 processor is 6 times faster and creates 75 percent less noise than the DIGIC 4 processor.[7]Designed to achieve new and advanced levels of image quality, DIGIC 5 analyses four times more image information to create each pixel, recording more detail and colour from a scene than ever before. Processing speed is also six times faster compared to the previous processor, efficiently managing the increase in scene information and simultaneously reducing the appearance of image noise by up to 75%.

DIGIC 5 Is used in the Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i/Kiss X6 (announced June 8, 2012 and available later that month)
."

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

whatta said:

from wiki

"DIGIC 5 is now featured on Canon compact cameras like PowerShot SX40 HS to achieve a capture rate of 10.3 frames per second at full resolution in High-Speed Burst HQ, Full HD 1080p Videos and Intelligent Image Stabilization. The new DIGIC 5 processor is 6 times faster and creates 75 percent less noise than the DIGIC 4 processor.[7]Designed to achieve new and advanced levels of image quality, DIGIC 5 analyses four times more image information to create each pixel, recording more detail and colour from a scene than ever before. Processing speed is also six times faster compared to the previous processor, efficiently managing the increase in scene information and simultaneously reducing the appearance of image noise by up to 75%.

DIGIC 5 Is used in the Canon EOS 650D/Rebel T4i/Kiss X6 (announced June 8, 2012 and available later that month)
."

If I read that correctly it is saying that it used the Digic 5 for NR?

If true then surely that NR could be achieved in pp??

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
whatta said:

from wiki

."

If I read that correctly it is saying that it used the Digic 5 for NR?

If true then surely that NR could be achieved in pp??

yea I'd say the weight of evidence points to Digic5 being used for in-camera jpg

Its hard to parse through the marketing language to divine the technical capabilities of the sensor itself.
On the optimistic side, the sensor is "new" in the sense that the MP count is different (lower) and brings phase detection AF capability not present in the 7D sensor.

On the other hand, the "new" sensor could be heavily leveraged, "essentially" the same as the 7D sensor in terms of inherent noise, or even the same exact sensor technology only modified for phase detection capability. until we get some real-world test analysis of the RAW files, we won't know for sure, but it appears (to me anyway) that the weight of evidence favors this (latter) explanation. I note that if Canon had made some incremental improvement in sensor noise performance, for example, the marketing language would have been different.

It would be quite a stretch, imho, for Canon to have developed a low-noise sensor technology here and just not expose it or tell us about it, to avoid stealing thunder from the 7D2, for example. More likely, imho, Canon is advancing their phase detection AF capability here in the APS-C world, not noise/ISO/IQ capability. perhaps we will see a higher IQ APS-C sensor with phase detection combined in the 7D2.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.