Canon Develops Global Shutter-Equipped CMOS Sensor

Feb 28, 2013
PureClassA said:
Eh.... This smells like C700 level technology for now. Seems curious they would announce this just days before the rumored unveiling of the new "Arri-killer"

I think it will eventually trickle down to, say, the new C100 III? XC-15 I kinda doubt for now. Whether the sensor is 1 inch (XC-15) or Super 35 (C Line) is mostly irrelevant. The readout is going to be the same if the pixel count is the same and they are all in the 8.3 to 8.8MP range.

I think maybe we eventually get this in the next gen DSLR series in a couple years. But apart from cray high Sync speeds There's not a whole lot of additional benefit on a stills cam. Rolling shutter is only really problematic when you're shooting video. I can't ever recall an instance where I took a still and thought "Oh damn, if ONLY I had a global shutter!" lol

dilbert said:
My reading of the announcement is that there is no mention of sensor size *OR* how many megapixels.

If you get right down to it, I too could develop a 1 pixel global shutter digital camera :)

Maybe even 2 ;)

The point here being that Canon has CMOS sensors in many pieces of equipment ... and given the leaked images, maybe this feature will debut in the XC15.
Had to laugh at the "Arri Killer" remark only someone not connected with our part of the market would make such a remark.
Canon are late to the party, Arri have a 6K Alexa 65, open gate 3.8K Alexa & hugely successful Alexa Mini (super 35 sensor is nuts for anamorphic), Red have Vista Vision 8K Weapons. Sony have a global shutter on the F65 Oversampled 8K - 4K camera and on the 4K F55.
Unless the Canon C 700 is "open gate" it will be of limited use outside of TV which makes a mockery of Cinema EOS. As a die-hard Canon stills shooter when it comes to movies Arri rule the roost along with Red with Sony in third place (not to mention Panavision 8K DXL upcoming).

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
... I can't ever recall an instance where I took a still and thought "Oh damn, if ONLY I had a global shutter!" lol
things that come to my mind:
1. True high speed flash sync (as in medium Format cameras) instead of HSS - thats x6 more flash power at your disposal ( 2 1/2 stops more of flash power) - one can shoot 2.5 times further from the subject relative to the HSS scenario. or recycle flash faster and more flash shots per battery charge. not a problem with high speed high power fast recycling studio strobs though.
2. reduced vibration levels - less moving parts at the actuation time. sure, mirror still has to come up.
3. quiter shutter - same as above.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
jeffa4444 said:
Had to laugh at the "Arri Killer" remark only someone not connected with our part of the market would make such a remark.

Hence my use of " " marks. That phrase has been used in semi-sarcastic passing regarding Canon's high end Cinema endeavor in the past. That said, we really don't know much anything about what the C700 will offer. DPAF and full time AF while shooting is going to be a very attractive feature though provided the camera is otherwise comparable to Arri offerings. Maybe not always as the A cam.

Upvote 0
This is very, very strictly for videocameras, for the foreseeable future. Don't expect it to land in a stills camera for at least three hardware generations. (10 years or so, depending on how the SLR and mirrorless market continue.)

Canon's been working on this stuff for a while, and most journalists and employees knew about it. Canon has already—as in, months ago—been telling employees in PR to brace for the inevitable confusion and wave of misinformation about this technology, and how to best clear it up. The short version is that this is for video, only. Not stills. Not a replacement for HSS, or an expension of sync speed, or anything like that. It is merely for video, to completely eradicate any chance of 'rolling shutter' and improve sharpness of high-speed capture. They're looking to use it for their higher-end video cameras first (e.g. C500 replacements) and then moving down through the Cinema EOS line as cost and production allows over time. It's not going to be in a 5DV, or a 1DX3, a 90D, a new mirrorless body, or anything else along those lines.

AWR is the only person here to have understood this, and they are completely right.

It's also worth stressing that you shouldn't be expecting to see this turn up in anything for quite a while. The next C500 replacement is the place it'll be calling first, if they're able to work out the many kinks and get the price to a reasonable price; it'll be over the current 10k price point of the existing C500, in any case.

In other words, if you're not part of a large-budget movie or TV production then you can just forget this exists, period.

Upvote 0
aceflibble said:
This is very, very strictly for videocameras, for the foreseeable future. Don't expect it to land in a stills camera for at least three hardware generations. (10 years or so, depending on how the SLR and mirrorless market continue.)

Canon's been working on this stuff for a while, and most journalists and employees knew about it. Canon has already—as in, months ago—been telling employees in PR to brace for the inevitable confusion and wave of misinformation about this technology, and how to best clear it up. The short version is that this is for video, only. Not stills. Not a replacement for HSS, or an expension of sync speed, or anything like that. It is merely for video, to completely eradicate any chance of 'rolling shutter' and improve sharpness of high-speed capture. They're looking to use it for their higher-end video cameras first (e.g. C500 replacements) and then moving down through the Cinema EOS line as cost and production allows over time. It's not going to be in a 5DV, or a 1DX3, a 90D, a new mirrorless body, or anything else along those lines.

AWR is the only person here to have understood this, and they are completely right.

It's also worth stressing that you shouldn't be expecting to see this turn up in anything for quite a while. The next C500 replacement is the place it'll be calling first, if they're able to work out the many kinks and get the price to a reasonable price; it'll be over the current 10k price point of the existing C500, in any case.

In other words, if you're not part of a large-budget movie or TV production then you can just forget this exists, period.

Agreed. Canon would shoot themselves in the foot by putting a Global shutter in a DSLR. It would be nice though.
I find it interesting that we never saw a patent for this.
Maybe it will have frame grabs, then we'll buy one so we can shoot stills at 60 fps or more. :p

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Alex_M said:
1. True high speed flash sync (as in medium Format cameras) instead of HSS - thats x6 more flash power at your disposal ( 2 1/2 stops more of flash power) - one can shoot 2.5 times further from the subject relative to the HSS scenario. or recycle flash faster and more flash shots per battery charge. not a problem with high speed high power fast recycling studio strobs though.

Calculate again. Going from a native x-sync of 1/250th to a shutter speed of
1/500th sec makes the gap between the two shutter curtains half as wide.
That means half the flash lands not on the chip but on the shutter curtain and
is wasted. That is about one full stop. Proceed to 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000,
and finally 1/8000 sec, always cutting the gap in half, and you end up with
six full stops (!) that you lose with HSS or hypersync.

Imagine a flash with a guide number of 32 (meters). It will give you F=32
within x-sync at ISO 100 and 1 meter distance. Go to HSS mode at 1/8000 sec
and you will be left with only f=5.6 in 1 meter distance.

A fast telezoom lens at 2,8 will give you a maximum distance of 2 meters,
which translates to 6,56 ft.
Provided that the flash duration is short enough, going to 1/8000 sec with
a global shutter will not lose any power, the guide number remains the same.

So, guide number 32 divided by f=2.8 is..... tadaaaa: 11,42 meters.
That translates to 37.46ft.

So, in reality, global shutter will give you six times as much max reach.

The hidden problem lies within the flash durations of many flashes.
Most current speedlites have a flash duration of approx 1/300 sec at
full power. Global shutters won't help much in that case.
Same for all those Chinese-made portable flashes that are so popular
for their hypersync capabilities (because of ther looong flash durations).

But there are alternatives. Take a Hensel Expert D 250 Speed compact
head. The longest flash duration at full power is 1/4000 sec (t 0.5)
Up to 1/3500 sec shuuter speed it will not lose any power, half a stop
at 1/4000, and 1.5 stops at 1/8000 sec.

250 Ws is four times as much as most speedlites. With a 12" reflector
mounted this will give you f=45 +8/10 in 1 meter distance.

That converts to f=2.8 in 20 meters, or 65.6 ft! And all that at 4fps!
You want only fill light? No problem, reduce one stop and you will
get 8fps in 20 meters distance. Sure, if you want that on the road,
the flash including inverter will set you back 3000 dollars.

Plus whatever the camera will cost.

Global shutter is the holy grail of flash photography, period.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
aceflibble said:
This is very, very strictly for videocameras, for the foreseeable future.

Possible, yes. But not by law.

This is CMOS, which means it builds more or less on tried and tested technologies,
and it gets a lot cheaper with production volume.

Remember that the 5D MkII killed quite a number of pretty expensive videocameras,
because people dumped them and turned to the nicer imagery with more lens choices
than ever before?

Now imagine Canon builds another price and feature killer. Wit high production volumes.

And this time on purpose.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dilbert said:
My reading of the announcement is that there is no mention of sensor size *OR* how many megapixels.

If you get right down to it, I too could develop a 1 pixel global shutter digital camera :)

Maybe even 2 ;)

The point here being that Canon has CMOS sensors in many pieces of equipment ... and given the leaked images, maybe this feature will debut in the XC15.

The statement that it would be used for industrial applications implies a small sensor, and likely monochrome. They are only considering using it for video cameras, which implies years of R&D.

Still, they are working on it and even a simplified version for industrial and surveillance cameras is a start.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
jeffa4444 said:
PureClassA said:
Eh.... This smells like C700 level technology for now. Seems curious they would announce this just days before the rumored unveiling of the new "Arri-killer"

I think it will eventually trickle down to, say, the new C100 III? XC-15 I kinda doubt for now. Whether the sensor is 1 inch (XC-15) or Super 35 (C Line) is mostly irrelevant. The readout is going to be the same if the pixel count is the same and they are all in the 8.3 to 8.8MP range.

I think maybe we eventually get this in the next gen DSLR series in a couple years. But apart from cray high Sync speeds There's not a whole lot of additional benefit on a stills cam. Rolling shutter is only really problematic when you're shooting video. I can't ever recall an instance where I took a still and thought "Oh damn, if ONLY I had a global shutter!" lol

dilbert said:

Maybe even 2 ;)

Canon are late to the party, Arri have a 6K Alexa 65, open gate 3.8K Alexa & hugely successful Alexa Mini (super 35 sensor is nuts for anamorphic), Red have Vista Vision 8K Weapons. Sony have a global shutter on the F65 Oversampled 8K - 4K camera and on the 4K F55.
Unless the Canon C 700 is "open gate" it will be of limited use outside of TV which makes a mockery of Cinema EOS. As a die-hard Canon stills shooter when it comes to movies Arri rule the roost along with Red with Sony in third place (not to mention Panavision 8K DXL upcoming).

Looking at the credits in TV shows on the Olympics, it listed cameras being supplied by Sony, but lenses were supplied by Canon. So we were watching the Olympics on Sony 4K cameras which used Canon 4K lenses.

I'm sure Canon wants to move up in the world of Cinematography, they have invested big $$ in their Hollywood support facility, but have yet to compete seriously with Red or Alexa, or even Sony. Canon is very financially conservative and does not spend a penny unless they are assured of making a good return. They sell lots of lower priced cameras to the broadcast industry who do not need 6K or 8K equipment, nor the huge costs associated with them. Thus, Canon probably takes in more $$ on broadcast equipment that the top three combined. They also give the thousands of Indie filmmakers a way to make a movie on a shoestring, which is a good thing. Some of those financially strapped Indie filmmakers are geniuses and deserve a chance to show their talents.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Once again, Canon demonstrates they are a technological industry leader.

No consumer level video camera has a global shutter, it's a high end feature, and that's where Canon will use the technology, just like everyone else does.
As soon as the market demands these features in consumer products then you can bet Canon will be on top of it, at least within a year or two.

People seem to be in a hyper sensitive "4K feature bubble" right now.
The Panasonic GH4 hasn't even been on the market for two years, the long game of 4K recording is wide open, and it seems like Canon has always been focused on playing the long game.
DPAF is the best cinema autofocus on the market, bar none, where is the competition for that?

People complain software features, but when it comes to actual hardware technology, things that take time to develop, Canon is doing phenomenally well.

Upvote 0
Quackator said:
AWR said:
Nothing to do with photography.

Vice versa. This will be a revolution in flash photography.

It is basically the holy grail of flash photography.

Imagine sports photography over 20 to 30 meters distance with flash!

Using rocket devices like the Hensel Expert 250 D Speed, you can even do this at 4 fps!

10 meters (30ft) distance will give you up to 8 fps!
Not many remember, but the ancient and venerable EOS-1Dinosaur had a CCD chip of a magnificent four megapixels. It also had a global shutter! You could shoot flash at 1/16,000th, with the only downside being that you'll clip your flash duration. I still have one of these. You can shoot rotating objects without slanted lines. Of course, high-ISO and high-resolution were things of the future when that camera came out.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
Agreed. here is real world flash duration measurement for some brands and models. Interesting how $50 Yongnuo beats Canon 580. Looking at the results, 8 Yongnuos at 1/8 full power each and 1/4000 shutter speed is covered.
Poor man's super strobe? :)
http://gock.net/2012/01/flash-durations-small-strobes/

Quackator said:
Alex_M said:

Calculate again. Going from a native x-sync of 1/250th to a shutter speed of
1/500th sec makes the gap between the two shutter curtains half as wide.
That means half the flash lands not on the chip but on the shutter curtain and
is wasted. That is about one full stop. Proceed to 1/1000, 1/2000, 1/4000,
and finally 1/8000 sec, always cutting the gap in half, and you end up with
six full stops (!) that you lose with HSS or hypersync.

Imagine a flash with a guide number of 32 (meters). It will give you F=32
within x-sync at ISO 100 and 1 meter distance. Go to HSS mode at 1/8000 sec
and you will be left with only f=5.6 in 1 meter distance.

A fast telezoom lens at 2,8 will give you a maximum distance of 2 meters,
which translates to 6,56 ft.
Provided that the flash duration is short enough, going to 1/8000 sec with
a global shutter will not lose any power, the guide number remains the same.

So, guide number 32 divided by f=2.8 is..... tadaaaa: 11,42 meters.
That translates to 37.46ft.

So, in reality, global shutter will give you six times as much max reach.

The hidden problem lies within the flash durations of many flashes.
Most current speedlites have a flash duration of approx 1/300 sec at
full power. Global shutters won't help much in that case.
Same for all those Chinese-made portable flashes that are so popular
for their hypersync capabilities (because of ther looong flash durations).

But there are alternatives. Take a Hensel Expert D 250 Speed compact
head. The longest flash duration at full power is 1/4000 sec (t 0.5)
Up to 1/3500 sec shuuter speed it will not lose any power, half a stop
at 1/4000, and 1.5 stops at 1/8000 sec.

250 Ws is four times as much as most speedlites. With a 12" reflector
mounted this will give you f=45 +8/10 in 1 meter distance.

That converts to f=2.8 in 20 meters, or 65.6 ft! And all that at 4fps!
You want only fill light? No problem, reduce one stop and you will
get 8fps in 20 meters distance. Sure, if you want that on the road,
the flash including inverter will set you back 3000 dollars.

Plus whatever the camera will cost.

Global shutter is the holy grail of flash photography, period.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm sure Canon wants to move up in the world of Cinematography, they have invested big $$ in their Hollywood support facility, but have yet to compete seriously with Red or Alexa, or even Sony.

Good business strategy and I think they have spent a lot of time building the infrastructure there for when they have the products to support the major Hollywood largess. If I'm Canon, I may just send a fleet of C700s out to rent to productions for next to nothing to kick the door open hard.

Upvote 0
AWR said:
Oh C'mon funny people.
This is Cinema stuff. And industrial other high end.
You won't see this on your DSLR or XCtoycams, maybe never.
Even the most expensive DSLR:s don't have much of the Cinemaline goodies.
Nothing to do with photography. Big problem in cinemacameras.

except photo cameras are also now video cameras too
and large well capacity and high DR helps stills plenty
so does generally high SNR

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Judging from their current press release, these beasts will
first be employed in machine vision and automated driving units.

The good news is that they will have a reasonable resolution
(allowing OCR from traffic signs and less errors in production control)
and likely enormous DR (day/night driving, driving into the sun....)

Going automotive means that the production volume is going
to be huge, and price per piece will be comparatively low.

This in turn will make it available for cameras pretty soon.
I think it is not a question IF, only WHEN Canon decides that
the time is right.

Upvote 0