Sony announces a9 III with global shutter

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Choice is good!

It's great that the Sony 300/2.8 is only $4750, I thought it was $6K...or maybe your math skills need some improvement. Of course, once you add in the cost of the FE 70-200/2.8 the total cost is only $600 less than the RF 100-300/2.8. Then, once you add in the cost of the second Sony body so you can get that range concurrently as you can with the zoom, the Sony setup is substantially more expensive. Sorry if that's too much math.

Seriously, though, I was hoping for a 300/2.8 from Canon and they delivered the 100-300/2.8 instead. Having used one, for me the the ability to cover that range with one lens on one body more than makes up for the larger size and cost of the one lens (because it's still smaller and cheaper than buying and carrying the RF 70-200 on a second R3).
Yes 100-300 2.8 is a very useful range and still very useful with extenders. I love my EF 300 2.8 II but a zoom for things like sport is great. Still the Sony Camera and new lens is good all round. Keeps Canon on its toes. Not sure how things can get even better but Sony and Canon are trying.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How exactly is Canon behind? The R5 was the first FF Camera to shoot FF 8K RAW video (albeit with heating issues that were address through firmware). The Canon R3 was the first FF Camera to shoot at 30 fps with full 14-bit RAW files and frankly it still is until the Sony A9III becomes available in Q1 2024!
The cameras after the R5 also do full sensor width 4k60 video, Sony has been very stingy with allowing that until very recently.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Trust you are only trying to make a silly argument - like in an old Monty Python sketch? Everyone understands perfectly what was meant which is not a math skill but a social skill. Since its beyond you let me share that different prices are valid for different markets. In the UK its 11.500£ for the Canon zoom and 5.800£ for the SONY. So not only your math skills but also social skills and market understanding seems to need some improvement.

Anyway, you come across as the kind of person I'd rather avoid having any interaction with - so kindly refrain from commenting any of my posts. I'll certainly turn off yours for good.
Apologies for my US-centric point of view. Not sure why our pricing is so much better, but it’s unfortunate that the EU and especially the UK get screwed by Canon on cost.

Incidentally, I was kidding about the math. That’s why I started the second paragraph with “Seriously, though…“ Having said that, I wasn’t actually kidding about the cost of adding a second camera. Zoom lenses are popular precisely because they offer versatility. You could carry three cameras with a 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm prime lenses on them, or you could carry one camera with a 24-105/2.8 zoom (provided of course, that f/2.8 is sufficiently fast for your needs).

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Apologies for my US-centric point of view. Not sure why our pricing is so much better, but it’s unfortunate that the EU and especially the UK get screwed by Canon on cost.

Incidentally, I was kidding about the math. That’s why I started the second paragraph with “Seriously, though…“ Having said that, I wasn’t actually kidding about the cost of adding a second camera. Zoom lenses are popular precisely because they offer versatility. You could carry three cameras with a 24mm, 50mm, and 85mm prime lenses on them, or you could carry one camera with a 24-105/2.8 zoom (provided of course, that f/2.8 is sufficiently fast for your needs).
Someone, somewhere is screaming, "But I can't carry a fourth 35mm f/1.2!!!"

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
How exactly is Canon behind? The R5 was the first FF Camera to shoot FF 8K RAW video (albeit with heating issues that were address through firmware). The Canon R3 was the first FF Camera to shoot at 30 fps with full 14-bit RAW files and frankly it still is until the Sony A9III becomes available in Q1 2024!
trollogic?

Upvote 0