Canon not going global shutter with next round of EOS R camera bodies

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I don’t know what to tell you other than use Google? It’s incredibly widespread from all camera manufacturers that I can find. So it’s not just Canon - even every Fuji camera I have shows the same thing in its menus. Perhaps cameras wish to distinguish image fps versus video frame rate? Do you shoot video?

There is still no indication that the A9III can shoot 240 FRAMES PER SECOND video in HD or 4K, even with its mega fast sensor readout.

View attachment 213386

I don't do much video other than occasionally for personal use. I do sometimes build computers for gamers. 1080p or 1440p means 1080 or 1440 lines of resolution, counted from top to bottom, that are scanned progressively (as opposed to 1080i for the old interlaced scan method of broadcast TV). Frames per second on GPU outputs are expressed as fps, not as "P".

For what it's worth, the specs/manual/settings labels in the menu for my 5D Mark III use fps or just the number.

20231212ss1.png

The specs/manuals/settings labels in the menu for my 5D Mark IV use the "P" for the specs and tabs in the menu, but label them fps in the manual.

20231212ss2.png

So I guess Canon started using that nomenclature sometime between 2012 and 2016. I got the 5D IV in 2019. When I do shoot video it's usually with the older body on a tripod so I can shoot stills at the same time with the 5D Mark IV.

Thanks for your patience in teaching an old dog a new trick!

P.S.- I guess since no one seems to use 720p, 1080p, and 1440p any more and instead use FHD, 2K, 4K, 8K, etc. the use of "p" to denote fps is not as confusing as it would be if interlaced video were still a thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0