Canon not going global shutter with next round of EOS R camera bodies

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
But my question is : Didn’t RED cameras solve the issues of Dynamic range with their Komodo cameras and global sensor ? Don’t they advertise like 15+ stop of Dynamic range and they are used in cinema where dynamic range is a most ?
Can somebody explain that to me ?

Cinema can get away with slower exposure times. Anything more than 2X the frame rate is acceptable. Anything more than about 4X the frame rate starts looking jerky instead of smooth when there's motion in the scene. 1/60-1/125 are commonly used and anything shorter than 1/250 is rarely used for 24/30/60 fps work.

Stills is an entirely different ball game. Sports & action need 1/1000 or shorter for top quality work. 1/1600 or 1/2000 if you can get there without pushing ISO too high.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Provided it has adequate dynamic range, I think Canon's 19 MP GS sensor may be enough for the R1 II.
Although, folks would make the 5 MP difference sound like the end of the world.

Maybe for the R3 II if there ever is such a thing.

The R1 will have nowhere near that few numbers of pixels.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I tried that site, clicked on the R3, my r6m2 the 1DX III, nice stuff. Then I clicked on what should be my first Canon digital, the XTI and I had to look twice to find it, almost like there was an eyelash on my screen. Come out with 20 more cameras with bells and whistles I haven't even heard of yet, I will stick with my R6m2's and keep buying glass. Glass. Glass.

The Rebel XTi was the 400D, which for some reason Photons To Photos skipped. They have test results for the 350D (Rebel XT) and the 450D (Rebel XSi).

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't know if anyone has tabulated them.

The measured base ISO of the EOS R is actually 66. You can check DxOMark (e.g. for the EOS R), measurements tab, ISO sensitivity and hover over the ISO 100 point to see the measured value. Bill Cliff (photonstophotos) gets his source data from DxOMark.

That's not necessarily base ISO of the sensor, it's the effective ISO when the camera is set to ISO 100. There's probably still some analog amplification going on at that setting.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Cinema can get away with slower exposure times. Anything more than 2X the frame rate is acceptable. Anything more than about 4X the frame rate starts looking jerky instead of smooth when there's motion in the scene. 1/60-1/125 are commonly used and anything shorter than 1/250 is rarely used for 24/30/60 fps work.

Stills is an entirely different ball game. Sports & action need 1/1000 or shorter for top quality work. 1/1600 or 1/2000 if you can get there without pushing ISO too high.
To justify a global shutter over a fast stacked sensor would take 1/4000 at least.
Sony is bragging about 1/80,000.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
? 240p means 240 progressive scan.

Straight off Canon’s website.View attachment 213378
View attachment 213379

Ok. I've never noticed that usage before. I guess there wasn't room on the screen in the menus to put fps so they decided to use "P" (notice it is capitalized in the camera menu displays) instead. It seems to mean "frames per second" in this context, rather than "progressive scan", though, as there don't seem to be any options for interlaced scan so everything is progressive scan.

It seems rather odd to me.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Ok. I've never noticed that usage before. I guess there wasn't room on the screen in the menus to put fps so they decided to use "P" (notice it is capitalized in the camera menu displays) instead. It seems to mean "frames per second" in this context, rather than "progressive scan", though, as there don't seem to be any options for interlaced scan so everything is progressive scan.

It seems rather odd to me.
I don’t know what to tell you other than use Google? It’s incredibly widespread from all camera manufacturers that I can find. So it’s not just Canon - even every Fuji camera I have shows the same thing in its menus. Perhaps cameras wish to distinguish image fps versus video frame rate? Do you shoot video?

There is still no indication that the A9III can shoot 240 FRAMES PER SECOND video in HD or 4K, even with its mega fast sensor readout.

IMG_0198.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0