Sony Electronics Releases the Alpha 9 III; the World’s First Full-Frame Camera with a Global Shutter Systemi

Canon already has a GS FF sensor but it's 19 Mpix, 60 fps, it's 16:9 and I don't think it has dual pixel AF. My guess is that they'll do something similar for the R1 – about 20 Mpix, 60 fps GS sensor. Or they'll still make a super fast rolling shutter sensor.

Poking around a bit, that was an APS-C sensor, did not support AF, and, as best I can tell, was a $10,000 option.

It will be interesting to see how Canon responds in the R3m2 and the eventual R1. Will also be interesting to see what Sony does with the A1ii which is expected in Q1 next year, ahead of the Paris Olympics.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Not so much for wildlife though where you have so little control over shooting conditions
In particular if you want to shoot razorbills in bright sunlight, partly reflected by the water... this was one of few subjects when I hated my 5D3 some years ago (otherwise I loved this reliable workhorse).

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
In particular if you want to shoot razorbills in bright sunlight, partly reflected by the water... this was one of few subjects when I hated my 5D3 some years ago (otherwise I loved this reliable workhorse).
Yes. It was one of the biggest issues I have with my 7d2. I still use it even though I have upgraded to an r6 but it is almost impossible to shoot a dark subject against a bright background

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Yes. It was one of the biggest issues I have with my 7d2. I still use it even though I have upgraded to an r6 but it is almost impossible to shoot a dark subject against a bright background
I upgraded from my 7D2 to an R7, which was an impressive leap in IQ. But I had not yet a chance to shoot razorbills, so the ultimative reality check has to wait. Theoretically, it should provide more dynamic range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was allowed to see the new camera after an sales training. Not using ist by myself, but holding it in my hands. From the point of birding, this cam is really astonishing. There is no distorsion of feathers or wings when the bird is fast moving its wings as the representive showed in a lot of pictures. Second the pre-buffering is welcome for me (old of age - slower reaction -> I often dismissed "the" moment). and another nice feature is, that you can increase the fps for some shots if critical things happen. The not so good thing is, that the body is still ergonomically retro. Especially if I look at my R3. With big fingers it is not possible to reach some buttons in the front if you use an big lens.
Summed up, I´d like to see these improvements from Canon at an equal point of price . I know, not the global shutter. Canon is not able/willed to put it in their products in the next future. And I know I will have to pay twice the price.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I've heard that before (maybe from you??) but the current version of the manual does not talk about bit depth anywhere. I wonder if it was changed in a firmware upgrade?
You’ve inadvertently highlighted the issue: the early versions of the manual did have the bit depths listed, the current version doesn’t.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
It’s right there in the specs:

View attachment 212997
I had missed the H+ is 13 bits part :< I wonder how the read out speeds change with bit depth (double for each bit?). In any case, the read out speed of the electronic shutter is too slow for tennis, so I dont get to use 20fps mode.

Upvote 0
You’ve inadvertently highlighted the issue: the early versions of the manual did have the bit depths listed, the current version doesn’t.
I checked V1 and V1.2 of the advanced user guides and also couldn't find the bit depth information... unless I missed it somehow.
It should have been included in the table under Specifications in the guide for "Drive Mode and continuous shooting speed"

Upvote 0
I had missed the H+ is 13 bits part :< I wonder how the read out speeds change with bit depth (double for each bit?). In any case, the read out speed of the electronic shutter is too slow for tennis, so I dont get to use 20fps mode.
I was peeved when I couldn't find the bit depth information in the advanced user guide as well. @Neuro found it in the online specs website. Canon certainly left it under the *asterisk copouts :-(

I did some rough calculations and I think that the issue is the internal bus bandwidth... R3 can handle 30fps/14 bit/24mp which is about the same as 20fps/12 bit/45mp.The R5 @ 14 bit would be about 15% higher bandwidth.
Similarly, 30fps 8k raw (33mp) @10 bit video is also about the same bandwidth. 12 bit would have pushed it over the limit which appears to be ~11Gbps.
I can't see a logical reason why Canon would arbitrarily drop the bit depth for the R5 in ES mode otherwise.
Hopefully the Digic X version in the R5ii will have a different generation internal bus in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0