Sony Electronics Releases the Alpha 9 III; the World’s First Full-Frame Camera with a Global Shutter Systemi

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
For which wildlife subject would you need a global shutter, but still can afford low-ISO DR?
Panning for birds against a bright background. Which is a VERY common scenario. Not saying it makes it unusable or crap. A global shutter is a pretty big step and kudos to Sony (with the obvious caveat that we don't really know yet how good it will be) but there are scenarios where it is not some magic bullet. If they keep a mechanical shutter though for those situations then it could be perfect if everything works as advertised

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sony HVL-F60RM2 and HVL-F46RM are compatible with that and they are like 400-500 €.
You're clearly missing the point. If you want to overpower ambient with your flash using a 1/80,000 s exposure, your flash must deliver sufficient power over a 12.5 µs duration. At full power, the Sony HVL-F60RM2 takes 2.8 ms (1/360 s) to deliver the light, so your 1/80,000 shutter speed would only capture a tiny fraction of it, defeating the purpose. In simple terms, that's like putting a 6-stop ND filter on your flash and trying to overpower the sun with it. Good luck with that.

The point @DBounce was making is that a flash that can pack full power output into a duration measured in microseconds is very expensive because it offers a capability not present typical hotshoe flashes costing 500 €.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Sony HVL-F60RM2 and HVL-F46RM are compatible with that and they are like 400-500 €.
It's not a compatibility concern, but does the flash have enough power to match that speed.
Many Ortiz has a short YouTube clip that shows him using one of those Sony flashes. He's at 3200 ISO, and there's what looks to be a bright constant light illuminating the subjects he photographed. Curious to see what others come up with after more hands-on.

Here's some discussion about this from Matt Granger:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the price, Sony has done it again in shifting the goal post.
Many here talking about DR and all that. the GS benefits outweighs that. Sony is also marketing it for sports, DR from sports specific cameras are usually low. But the GS has more benefits i.e. shutter speed and flash sync.
Can\'t see how Canon is going to release a FF GS EOS R with this price point. Looks like R1 is DOA. the A9 III price point is similar to R3, that\'s gone to. Canon needs to think about their strategy. Did you\'ll see the FE 300mm GM 2.8? Yes it\'s only 300mm but look at the size and weight. Sony innovation is in another level. They\'re not only innovating in body but lens to.

• Haha
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Did you\'ll see the FE 300mm GM 2.8? Yes it\'s only 300mm but look at the size and weight. Sony innovation is in another level. They\'re not only innovating in body but lens to.
Yes, cool lens. You're right, it's on another level. Instead of just making an RF version of the EF 300 2.8, Canon made a 100-300 2.8 that is as good if not better than the prime. Which is more innovative?
Where is Sony's 28-70 f/2? Or their 24-105 f/2.8?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The a9iii sounds impressive but I wonder about the 6 month marketing period for the potential buyers/reviewers...
Is it a shot across the bow to competitors with (hopefully) no obvious downsides once fully released and tested?
Is it to keep Sony (in this case) as front of mind for future purchases even if you can't buy it for a long time?
Is it to get the market ready to accept a 33% price increase over the current model?

I think that the Canon did the same with the R5 and drip fed confirmations of the 8k capabilities prior to release but we all know about the storm in a teacup heating issue for 3 video modes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Did you\'ll see the FE 300mm GM 2.8? Yes it\'s only 300mm but look at the size and weight. Sony innovation is in another level. They\'re not only innovating in body but lens to.
Canon is more innovative with a new focal length/zoom @ f2.8 but Sony wins on size... except that Sony users also need a 70-200/2.8 to match the focal range.
So the choice (if you need more than a fixed focal length) is two lenses vs one lens adding up to about the same cost.
The Sony 300mm does have a drop-in rear filter though

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I’m guessing this camera will produce about 10 stops of dynamic range. I’m seeing both crushed blacks and blown highlights. I don’t believe Canon would release such a comprised camera. Frankly, I surprised Sony chose to.
10 stops at 1/80,000 would be quite amazing.
I am guessing that DR drops as the shutter speed increases.
The a9 series was never known for its dynamic range.
It was always for speed.
The a1 was the first stacked sensor photo camera with good dynamic range.
The a9 III can use a burst of photos for exposure bracketing to boost dynamic range.
Although, that would not help much with sports action.
Of course, the Canon R7 can do the same thing for a lot less money.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Many here talking about DR and all that. the GS benefits outweighs that.
Any camera maker can put a CCD sensor in a camera, have a global shutter, and call it a day.
DR is why CCD cameras fell out of favor.
The RED Komodo X is a global shutter camera with good dynamic range.
That is what folks want.
If all you want is a global shutter then buy a 1D classic for $150.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon is more innovative with a new focal length/zoom @ f2.8 but Sony wins on size...
Canon's is not that innovative.
It is just a mirrorless version of Nikon's 120-300 f/2.8 and Nikon got the idea from Sigma,
Sony's 300 f/2.8 is the same size as Nikon 300 f/2.8 but half the weight.
I have no idea how they did that.
It is the same size so mirrorless can't be a significant advantage.
I like what Canon did better but I also think it would make sense to have a smaller, lighter, and cheaper RF 300 f/2.8.
The EF version works perfectly well but now it seems too heavy.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Many here talking about DR and all that. the GS benefits outweighs that. Sony is also marketing it for sports, DR from sports specific cameras are usually low.
Rishi, is that you? Or perhaps some other random DPR “reviewer“? So funny. When the 1D X came out with DR 1-1.5 stops lower than the Nikon D800 or the Sony body with the same sensor, use case didn’t matter. Only the dynamic range in spite of the clear intended use case for the camera, with the highest full frame fps available at the time.

Honestly, I have not read the DPR previews of the a9 III, but if they don’t deemphasize the reduction in dynamic range in favor of the use case for the camera, I’d eat my hat if I was a person wore hats.

Actually, I did read their announcement blurb, where they passed along Sony’s claim that there was no loss of DR (which of course ignores the fact that they’re comparing the base ISO 250 with that same ISO value on cameras with a base of 100).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
you can use mono lights, it doesn't matter if the flash pulse is greater than 1/80000, it just can't be less.
Won’t be less with a typical monolight. But the discussion was about overpowering the sun with a wide aperture lens. Even with a powerful monolight, a shutter speed that captures only a small fraction of its flash duration (and thus a small fraction of its light output), will not allow you to overpower the sun.

Upvote 0
It is the same size so mirrorless can't be a significant advantage.
I like what Canon did better but I also think it would make sense to have a smaller, lighter, and cheaper RF 300 f/2.8.
The EF version works perfectly well but now it seems too heavy.
At the end of the day, it depends if a monopod is used. "Light" is still relative to holding it for hours. Sony is making it easier to hand hold but won't always be used that way. At least there is an option for that choice which is good for everyone.

Upvote 0