Sony Electronics Releases the Alpha 9 III; the World’s First Full-Frame Camera with a Global Shutter Systemi

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
SAN DIEGO- Nov. 7, 2023 – Sony Electronics today introduced the Alpha 9 III camera equipped with the world’s firsti full-frame global shutter image sensor. The newly developed global shutter image sensor exposes and reads all pixels simultaneously, unlike a rolling shutter sensor that records images sequentially from the top row of pixels to the

See full article...

Reactions: 1 users
Sony Marketting™ at it's best. A lot of buzzwords and impressive sounding numbers.

Some good features though that I'd like to see Canon do. the LCD multi-angle display is nice, EVF looks nice, composite RAW, focus breathing compensation. the human AI processing sounds really cool.

and of course, the R1 should have a global shutter, and 8K.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
Bravo, Sony! (not that I'd need GS but it's very good to see). And now it makes me really curious about the upcoming R1. No matter how packed the camera will be, if it's not 24Mpix 120fps GS then not many people will be impressed.
Canon already has a GS FF sensor but it's 19 Mpix, 60 fps, it's 16:9 and I don't think it has dual pixel AF. My guess is that they'll do something similar for the R1 – about 20 Mpix, 60 fps GS sensor. Or they'll still make a super fast rolling shutter sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Good job Sony and glad to see that global shutters will become a reality. With that said, as a wildlife photographer I would really like to see a camera with 30-40 fps, and solid 1000 frame buffer in RAW not compressed RAW. The 120 fps as mentioned previously is great for stacking and computational photography.

Still prefer the Canon ergonomics over Sony, but nice to see Sony pushing sensor technology to the limits.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Looks like a great camera.

However, considering there are some caveats with a global shutter regarding resolution, ISO and dynamic range, if the R5 II rumors are serious about a 62MP stacked sensor with variable resolution and high-end video specs, it looks more like an acceptable compromise for an all-rounder hybrid camera and for a somewhat cheaper price.
And one day they may also use the stacked sensor from the R3 in an R6 III to keep the R5 and R6 more in line with each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Global shutter sounds great and as a Red owner, I’m familiar with the benefits. However, to date only Red has resolved the drawbacks of a global shutter sensor. From the early footage from the Sony A9III, it appears dynamic range took a big hit due to the global shutter. I’m guessing this camera will produce about 10 stops of dynamic range. I’m seeing both crushed blacks and blown highlights. I don’t believe Canon would release such a comprised camera. Frankly, I surprised Sony chose to.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m guessing this camera will produce about 10 stops of dynamic range. I’m seeing both crushed blacks and blown highlights.
The base ISO is 250. If they kept the read noise the same (probably they were able to, maybe not), DR should be similar to other Exmor sensors at ISO 250. The a9 II delivers 10 stops of DR at ISO 250, per Bill Claff's data. Compare that to the Canon R3, which has 12 stops of DR at base ISO (100).

Wait, what? Canon's sensor has 2 more stops of low ISO DR than Sony? Calling all DRone Warriors who were so active in bashing Canon a decade ago for their awful low ISO DR compared so Sony sensors (in both Nikon and Sony bodies), when the difference was just 1-1.5 stops. Where are you now? I fully expect you to all start heavily criticizing Sony for this terribly awful 2-stop loss of low ISO DR compared to Canon.

And then I woke up.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I want to test the camera with the new 300 2.8 + TCs ...dayum! Those top specs.... but lets wait for more informations!
The only flash system that supports such speed will set you back $25,000… enjoy!
Sony flashes? They advertise those with the A9III.

Upvote 0