Sony announces a9 III with global shutter

Jul 21, 2010
Screenshot 2023-11-07 at 11.10.28 AM.png

Sony has delivered the world’s first mirrorless camera with a full-frame global shutter sensor: the a9 III. This revolutionary release promises unrivaled speed thanks to the capabilities of the newly designed 24.6MP Exmor RS CMOS sensor, including 120 fps continuous shooting with AF/AE, flash sync at all speeds up to 1/80,000 sec., and no subject distortion.

They announced a 300/2.8 GM alongside it.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
View attachment 212776

Sony has delivered the world’s first mirrorless camera with a full-frame global shutter sensor: the a9 III. This revolutionary release promises unrivaled speed thanks to the capabilities of the newly designed 24.6MP Exmor RS CMOS sensor, including 120 fps continuous shooting with AF/AE, flash sync at all speeds up to 1/80,000 sec., and no subject distortion.

They announced a 300/2.8 GM alongside it.
The 300/2.8 only 1.47 kg without tripod collar.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's almost as if you're suggesting that a flagship camera can set a benchmark with only —gasp— 24 MP. Surely the R1 must have at least 45 and better yet 60 MP to be called a flagship. What is Sony thinking?!?
I'm waiting for the 82 Mpx global shutter, which will surely be Canon's response.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
I'm waiting for the 82 Mpx global shutter, which will surely be Canon's response.
I heard from a self proclaimed expert on the pro camera market if the R1 is not announced with more than 83mpx global stacked shutter with built-in ND Filter for under $3,000 on the same day as an RF 50mm F/1.4 with weather sealing for under $250 along with the first Sigma and Tamron RF autofocus lenses, Canon's DO-yummmmed. I believed him because he totally backed up his statements by saying magic words like Kodak, Betamax, Nokia or maybe it was Klaatu Barada Nikto...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
First off, this forum would have burned to the ground by now if Canon released this camera. Total fail. 24mp just not enough in the 21st century, duh. Wrong card slots. Utter fail.

Its basically an R3mkII, at the same price point as the R3 was released at. That camera was also deemed a total failure. And I think that, the sad thing is, I think this paved the way for Canon to price the R5mk2 and $4500-5k, and the R1 at $8-10k. Especially if the R1 has a 45-60mp sensor. With the R3 launching at that price, and this camera being a pretty close analogue with a newer generation of technology, it probably had a lot of influence on Sony pushing the price to where it is. Also makes me wonder where Sony will Price the A1mk2.

I was/am planning to look at the R5mk2 when it starts to get leaked/released. But sadly I think they will push it beyond what I'm willing to spend, if this Sony offering is any indication. Or maybe Canon will surprise us all by keeping it below the $4k mark, to undercut Son.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
First off, this forum would have burned to the ground by now if Canon released this camera. Total fail. 24mp just not enough in the 21st century, duh. Wrong card slots. Utter fail.
Says who? 24 MP is enough for numerous professional applications...the kind of applications where 120 fps and global shutter would be preferred.
Its basically an R3mkII, at the same price point as the R3 was released at. That camera was also deemed a total failure. And I think that, the sad thing is, I think this paved the way for Canon to price the R5mk2 and $4500-5k, and the R1 at $8-10k. Especially if the R1 has a 45-60mp sensor. With the R3 launching at that price, and this camera being a pretty close analogue with a newer generation of technology, it probably had a lot of influence on Sony pushing the price to where it is. Also makes me wonder where Sony will Price the A1mk2.
Deemed a total failure by who?

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Major League announcement from Sony here. Bravo! I am, however, surprised that the video is still limited to 4K120 like the R3….and the R3 has a 195fps shooting mode that, if Canon would improve its implementation, could be very useful for some applications.

Global shutter is a big deal and I hope this means Canon hasn’t been left behind in sensor tech yet again. I salivate over unlimited sync speed so it would be very useful for me. I genuinely don’t believe Canon will have a high resolution global shutter sensor in the R1. I believe it will be a stacked sensor that will have solid read out speeds….but if this is the best sensor Sony can muster (base ISO of 250?!?) then I doubt Canon will magically leapfrog them and come up with a 60mp global shutter…highly unlikely.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Many Sony forum members are indeed disappointed this new camera has only 24 MP.
Enthusiasm sounds different...
I'm not surprised. I think there were people here expressing disappointment regarding the R3's mp and my perception is there is a higher percentage of Sony users are wishing for everything to have higher mp specs than Canon users hoping for the same thing.

Upvote 0
I heard from a self proclaimed expert on the pro camera market if the R1 is not announced with more than 83mpx global stacked shutter with built-in ND Filter for under $3,000 on the same day as an RF 50mm F/1.4 with weather sealing for under $250 along with the first Sigma and Tamron RF autofocus lenses, Canon's DO-yummmmed. I believed him because he totally backed up his statements by saying magic words like Kodak, Betamax, Nokia or maybe it was Klaatu Barada Nikto...

Under 3kUSD for the perfect camera.
Under 3kUSD for the perfect 10-1000/f1.8 IS Quad nano USM Marco PZ Tilt-shift SA lens.
Less than 10kUSD to arm them up

That makes them the perfectly geared professional to do all the work they will make for whatsapp/FB/IG/tiktok compressed shxt quality stills/video that last less than 10sec.;)

I was/am planning to look at the R5mk2 when it starts to get leaked/released. But sadly I think they will push it beyond what I'm willing to spend, if this Sony offering is any indication. Or maybe Canon will surprise us all by keeping it below the $4k mark, to undercut Son.
Jokes aside. Sony priced a9iii 6k actually gives R3 a room to breathe. And R1 can justify to price 7k~8kUSD if MP is more than a9iii.
R5ii should be sub-4kUSD if non-stacked CMOS. And priced 4.5k for stacked 40~50MP.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I'm not surprised. I think there were people here expressing disappointment regarding the R3's mp and my perception is there is a higher percentage of Sony users are wishing for everything to have higher mp specs than Canon users hoping for the same thing.
Exactly!
For some, it's like "my car is faster than yours". Unfortunately, Sony fanboys aren't the only ones, as you too remembered the inept R3 criticism.

Upvote 0