Canon EF 100-400mmL IS

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I can't say that I've taken my copy of the 100-400L lens onto five different continents like @smirkypants, I have used it pretty extensively for the last couple years in some of the worst weather Colorado has to offer. I've used it in torrential rains, near-whiteout blizzards, sub-zero temperatures, and highly dusty winds. Even though it does not carry a "weather sealed" label, I've never gotten any moisture or dust inside of the lens, and I've never noticed any accumulation of dust on my sensor due to its use.

While I don't have any patents or diagrams to back it up at the moment, I think its a bit naive to think that Canon did not design this lens with an adequate filtration system around the push/pull design. Yes, the lens sucks in air, but its highly unlikely it directly sucks in unfiltered air.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
scalesusa said:
Several posts were removed, due to the insulting language made and then being quoted.

Its ok to disagree, but be civil!

Giving you some good Karma, as it sucks to be an administrator. (on the other hand, it never hurts to suck up to administrators) :)

Upvote 0
S

StevenBrianSamuels

JTPAIN said:
Hey,

Does anyone know if Canon will be replacing their old 100-400mmL lens any time soon? - I know some have said that the 70-300mmL is a replacement, because of crop body users, But for birding, that extra length is pretty vital. I've heard mixed revues of the 70-300mm with 1.4x tele, and think it would probably be too much of a compromise to loose AF.

Many thanks

They will update it as soon as you or I push BUY NOW.

I'm still waiting for an update.

Upvote 0
L

lynx0069

i love my 100-400, its attached to my XSi prob about 80% of the time because i enjoy wildlife photography and aircraft. have i ever experienced a dust problem? no, i have not, so i would agree that the "dust pump" statement is definatly an urban legend. in fact, one of my first lenses that i owned was a 70-210f/4 way back when i bought my first slr, an eos 650, and that lens is still in use today as i gave it to my niece when i purchased my 70-200f/4L. so, i use both types of zooms, both the push pull and 2 touch, and i actually enjoy the speed of a push/pull design. IF canon were to update the 100-400, would i buy it? hard to say, if it wasnt massively more expensive than the current one, i would think about it just for an improvement in the IS.

Upvote 0
D

davisje011

I have to be the exception I guess, I own a 100-400 and mine got pretty dusty in the 3 years I have owned it. however, I never experienced any undue dust on my sensor, just the lens elements. It got to be so much that I started to get a haze on my daytime photos.

I solved that last night.

I am now dust free on my 1st 2 elements, I didn't want to go further because it just would have been a technical nightmare. This lens is much more simple than it seems.

BTW, I bought this thing on craigslist, I had no warranty or service contracts. I am proficient with electro-mechanical repair, and did not go into this blind. So save me the "You're a fool to do this" I recorded the calibration of the 1st element and retested after reassembly. Every thing is in working order and is in fact smoother than before, due to some long overdue re-lubing and cleaning.

Attachments

• 100-400fix.jpg
    100-400fix.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 772
  • cleaned.jpg
    cleaned.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 717
Upvote 0
why I want a 100-400 IS L II updated lens..now..

Had one 100-400 L, it was not as sharp as I wanted, sold it. Have rented them from lensrentals.com a few times, the sharpness have been fine. Why don't I just buy one??

The I S really is dated. 2 stops is less than new equipment coming out from Canon or Tamron or anyone else doing IS/VR. No tripod mode for IS. I don't care about push pull vs ring zoom, don't believe in the dust issue.
I don't mind paying more than the current lens for an update. Yes, I'm wasting money by renting, but I only need the lens for 3-4 weeks per year, my 70-300 (non L) is fine for many uses. I may just give up and buy the current model if no update by this fall. Knowing my luck the update will come out immediately after I buy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.