Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks DominoDude and mackguyver. I'm retired and still I can't find time to keep on top of all this, but I'm trying.

I'm more confident than ever that I won't regret getting the 11-24 and I'll gladly live with the weight although I have to learn to be more careful carrying it.

Last year I was in a tight canyon where 24mm was far from adequate given the various constraints and I remember saying, when will Canon's WA be coming and now it's up to me to produce!

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Well here's a photo but it's just my frozen slew where my bird shots are taken in spring/summer/fall.

Jack
Brrrr, looks cold. Here are my latest shots - still trying to find a good subject for the 11mm end, but these are all at 11mm:

Water taxi ramp beside the Friendship Fountain (colored green for St. Patrick's Day) in Jacksonville, FL - 11mm f/16, 25s, ISO 400, -2:
Jacksonville_Downtown_20696_ID-XL.jpg

View of Jacksonville's Southbank as seen from the 16th floor of the Jacksonville Hyatt Regency Riverfront Hotel - 11mm f/14, 20s, ISO 400, -2:
Jacksonville_Downtown_20721_ID-XL.jpg

Notes:
You can see the Friendship Fountain in the second photo as well (it's in the center).

Also, given the numerous point light sources, flare was minimal, but if you look at the water in the center of the photo, there appears to be something in the water. That's actually a set of tiny rainbows about 5-10 pixels in length as you can see below. It would be very easy to retouch these out.

Attachments

• 2015-03-16 09_29_26-Jacksonville_Downtown_20721_ID.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png
    2015-03-16 09_29_26-Jacksonville_Downtown_20721_ID.jpg - Windows Photo Viewer.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 379
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Well Ian, those are very inspirational for me and I simply have to break free of my natural surroundings (and projects in the home) and head into Edmonton where similar possibilities exist.

Edmonton has some glass pyramids that house different temperate zones of vegetation and compatible smaller wildlife and that's on my list as is the museum etc., but I think I'm still in hibernation mode. More photos would help get me out of that if you're so inclined!! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
The lens arrived today and I was ready to take it out, when Tor decided it was time for a major shower. So here´s the first ever image shot with my new 11-24. Some motion blur, but a first is a first and no new lens without some shots of The Local Lion. He was his regular uncooperative self (fish helps). Getting this glass monster in his face (& food) didn´t help ...

Attachments

• _B3A1896.jpg
    _B3A1896.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 483
Upvote 0
Nice one - just watch out for the wet nose, which was the first thing I had to clean on my Sigma 12-24. I learned from that and don't have any cat smears on my 11-24...well at least not yet :)

It's pouring down here as well, but I might actually get to use my lens more in the near future. New pain medicines and I'm supposed to feel better in about a week. Just in time for a quick trip to the beach.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Eldar said:
The lens arrived today and I was ready to take it out, when Tor decided it was time for a major shower. So here´s the first ever image shot with my new 11-24. Some motion blur, but a first is a first and no new lens without some shots of The Local Lion. He was his regular uncooperative self (fish helps). Getting this glass monster in his face (& food) didn´t help ...

You're going to love your new lens, in part for its versatility especially in tight places like canyons.

Jack

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Eldar said:

Congrats Eldar,
I don't see the points keeping 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS. Others might disagree with me about this

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar said:

You're going to love your new lens, in part for its versatility especially in tight places like canyons.

Jack

Any canyon will become a Grand Canyon. ;)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
DominoDude said:
Jack Douglas said:
Eldar said:

Jack

Any canyon will become a Grand Canyon. ;)

Now that is something I can relate to! Even my own family room was close to a grand canyon. My daughter didn't initially recognize it when I sent her the shot. ;) To me this lens is about FUN and opportunities for creativity. It won't be easy to get truly great shots but it'll always be FUN.

Jack

Upvote 0
Eldar said:

Haha, what a little terror! Nice shot, Eldar. Enjoy the lens. ;D

kirispupis said:
I received my copy late last week and I am loving this lens. I also have a 16-35/4 and a TS-E 17 and have no plans to sell them - they are really all different lenses intended for very different purposes. Here are a few of my first shots with the 11-24.

6O6C2172_HDR.jpg by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Looking Up by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Shaded by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Sun Halo by CalevPhoto, on Flickr

Some truly stunning shots there kirispupis. Well done.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
Eldar said:

Great photo! I think that any motion blur in the shot adds drama. It gives a taste of what the lens can do close up, and bokeh is not impossible

Upvote 0
Last year I got the widest rectilinear lens I have ever had, the Zeiss 15mm f2.8. I have never been a fan of UWA lenses, probably because I was unable to see what I should use them for. But during last summer I thought I got a number of good ones.

Today I took the 11-24 for a trip down to the fjord, locked at 11mm, trying to figure out what I can use it for. And honestly, so far, I don´t have a clue. It is just so wide that I seem to lack the ability to see when and where to use it. But I´ll take it as a challenge and from here, there is only one way ... (straight to the pub :))

Attachments

• _B3A1922.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 445
Upvote 0
Eldar, that looks like a nice start. I'm not expert with the ultrawide, but when I was shooting at 12mm, it seemed like the best photos had a interesting foreground and/or made use of the leading lines. Shooting this wide really emphasized the foreground, and really de-emphasizes the background, so keep that mind. Also, it seems like shooting level shots works best - either completely level (all axes) or horizontally with a upward or downward tilt like you used above to dramatically emphasize the perspective lines. Tall buildings, paths, roads, bridges, buildings, hallways, and decorated ceilings make great subjects. It's definitely a challenge, but that's part of the fun of shooting crazy wide.

Of course you can always zoom out, but you didn't pay all this money to shoot at a mere 14-24mm, right :)

Upvote 0