Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

U

UpbeatCynic

Re: Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

gmrza said:
On the way back from Collingwood last Friday I could not help but get off the tram to take walk along Gertrude street and through the Carlton Gardens to enjoy the morning mist.

Gertrude street: magnolias in bloom.

(Both shot with a 5DmkII.)

When I saw those shots, I was all like: I know where that is! :p

Upvote 0

I agree - super versatile lens, I love the range, sharpness, contrast and IS is useful too. Most of the photos from my Flickr account are taken with 5D and either 24-105/4 or 50/1.4 - this combo is all I need if I want to travel light... Well, relatively light ;)

http://flickr.com/klbw

Attachments

• perfume_river.jpg
    perfume_river.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 5,087
  • london_wall.jpg
    london_wall.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 5,089
  • sydney_opera_house.jpg
    sydney_opera_house.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 5,184
Upvote 0
N

niccyboy

Great shots guys. I really love the idea of this lens, and it was the first L lens i've bought.

However it's really soft to focus on both my 5dmk2 and 7d. If i set the same shot up with my 24-105L, 24-70L, 28-300L, 50L, it is noticeably softer. I've tried getting it calibrated and micro adjusted but it's not fixed it.

Such a shame. great range, IS, great build quality and judging by all of your pics, exceptional when in the right hands.

Upvote 0

JR said:
I noticed the same softness with the 24-105 that I just bought and ultimately I decided to return it and only use prime lens for now until a new zoom update comes out maybe like the 24-70 2.8 II (hopefully with IS)!

I shoot Weddings with my 24-105 on my 5D mark 2 and find the lens focusing very inconsistent. Images taken in a sequene with the same subject, composition and focusing point, some are sharp and some arn't. Generally by saying sharp I mean usable, I wouldn't say this is a sharp lens. For a while I just thought I hadn't got a great copy, bu :(t when a fiend of mine also got a 5D and 24-105 he has had the exact same problems, both of our lens's seam to experiance more softness at the long end. Was thinking of trading up for a 24-70 with the hope it would be better? Is there anymore of you guys with a similar experiance with this lens? as it has been for me unfortunately a bit disapointing.

Upvote 0

Rob said:
JR said:
I noticed the same softness with the 24-105 that I just bought and ultimately I decided to return it and only use prime lens for now until a new zoom update comes out maybe like the 24-70 2.8 II (hopefully with IS)!

I shoot Weddings with my 24-105 on my 5D mark 2 and find the lens focusing very inconsistent. Images taken in a sequene with the same subject, composition and focusing point, some are sharp and some arn't. Generally by saying sharp I mean usable, I wouldn't say this is a sharp lens. For a while I just thought I hadn't got a great copy, bu :(t when a fiend of mine also got a 5D and 24-105 he has had the exact same problems, both of our lens's seam to experiance more softness at the long end. Was thinking of trading up for a 24-70 with the hope it would be better? Is there anymore of you guys with a similar experiance with this lens? as it has been for me unfortunately a bit disapointing.

I use a 24-105 on a 5d1 body, no issues here. 24-105's are usually very sharp lenses: Took this one 2 days ago,

Taken at F4 fully open, so it could be sharper if stopped lower. No sharpening (PP) was done to this pic, but had to crop it up aggressively or it would not load to the site. :-[

Attachments

• IMG_9714 cropped2.jpg
    IMG_9714 cropped2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,010
Upvote 0
M

Mencho(22)

IMG_8263.jpg

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO: 1600
Exposure: 1/25 s
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Lenght: 73mm

================

IMG_7894.jpg

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/250 s
Aperture: 4.0
Focal Lenght: 50mm

Upvote 0
R

ReyMorlu

I HAVE THIS LENS AND IS THE WORST CANON LENS I HAVE EVER HAD, IN TERMS OF QUALITY... IN THE LAST 30 YEARS.
NO OTHER HAD BE BROKEN IN MY HANDS ONLY BECAUSE OF "ZOOM IN/OUT" MOVEMENTS. :eek:

IN 2 YEARS OF PROFESIONAL WORK IT WILL BE BROKEN, DUE TO IT'S INTERNAL PLASTIC, DELICATE MECANICAL AND ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS, IMAGE STABILIZER AND DIAFRAGM WILL START CRAZY FUCTIONING AND CANON DO NOT ADMIT THEY HAVE CREATED A FAILURE DESIGN WITHIN THIS LENS... THEN YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY THE BILL OVER 350$.

HEY GUYS, DO NOT BUY THIS LENS!!!!!! NO PROFANITY

Upvote 0

ReyMorlu said:
I HAVE THIS LENS AND IS THE WORST CANON LENS I HAVE EVER HAD, IN TERMS OF QUALITY... IN THE LAST 30 YEARS.
NO OTHER HAD BE BROKEN IN MY HANDS ONLY BECAUSE OF "ZOOM IN/OUT" MOVEMENTS. :eek:

IN 2 YEARS OF PROFESIONAL WORK IT WILL BE BROKEN, DUE TO IT'S INTERNAL PLASTIC, DELICATE MECANICAL AND ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS, IMAGE STABILIZER AND DIAFRAGM WILL START CRAZY FUCTIONING AND CANON DO NOT ADMIT THEY HAVE CREATED A FAILURE DESIGN WITHIN THIS LENS... THEN YOU MIGHT HAVE TO PAY THE BILL OVER 350$.

HEY GUYS, DO NOT BUY THIS LENS!!!!!!

Your argument would be a lot more persuasive without profanity/capital letters and properly thought out sentences.

There is no faulty design here; posting a redacted receipt of the repair note may convince some that you at least got a bad copy, but unless you're playing basketball with the lens itself (as the ball), your statements appear to be completely made up.

Upvote 0

dstppy said:
ReyMorlu said:

HEY GUYS, DO NOT BUY THIS LENS!!!!!!

Your argument would be a lot more persuasive without profanity/capital letters and properly thought out sentences.

There is no faulty design here; posting a redacted receipt of the repair note may convince some that you at least got a bad copy, but unless you're playing basketball with the lens itself (as the ball), your statements appear to be completely made up.

+1:

Maybe English is not his first language... that would explain a lot in his rant. But yes, no need to use caps.

Upvote 0
M

Mange69

Enrico said:
maybe foreign keyboards only have capital letters?

mine has å,ä,ö which is a bit weird...

I agree - if you only have å, ä and ö it truly is weird... But if you, like me, live in Sweden it's not weird at all! Remember that "foreign" is from your horizon...

I have a (or is it an?) 17-85 today and am (or is it are?) about to buy a 24-105 any day now. Will it I get a dramatic improvement of pic quality, or is it more about the feeling of having an L-lens?

And is it worth waiting for an upgraded version (now, that is a question for a rumour forum, right?)?

Best foreign and/or domestic regards,
Mange

Upvote 0
N

niccyboy

This is getting a bit out of hand haha

My only issues are with a bit of soft focussing on my lens and one of my staff's.

The build quality, is etc is great, and clearly by the pictures here, there are some great copies out there.

I just know from my circle of photographers in Melbourne, we have had a lot of issues with this lens.

I have a dozen l glass lenses and 3 bodies, it's the only one I have an issue with.

But again I'm sure I just got a bad copy. I might try and get Camera Clinic to micro adjust it better.

Instead I find myself having the 24-70 or 70-200 on and it frustrates me because the 24-105 is a perfect range!

Upvote 0
Z

zhap03

@niccyboy

You should consider having Canon calibrate your lens for you. I had a very soft copy of the 24-70L until Canon serviced it. They performed lens alignment and focal plane adjustments. For a reasonable price and some down time, I received my 24-70 back from Canon Canada and was amazed at how sharp my lens is now.

I also own the 24-105L... an amazingly sharp copy, no extra servicing was required. It's possible for you to have the same level of performance from your copy. Just give Canon Service a try.

Upvote 0