Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Re: Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

K-amps said:
+1:

Maybe English is not his first language... that would explain a lot in his rant. But yes, no need to use caps.

That was my supposition, which is why I wasn't being a jerk about it, but 'nettiquette' (which isn't called that anymore) should be universal if you're on a forum these days.

You can't describe the lens as 'ruggedized' but it's pretty darned bulletproof for the price range.

Upvote 0
Z

zhap03

Nicci... my down time was about 4 weeks for the 24-70 because I dealt with my local camera store. It was my first repair job and I didn't know any better.

On my second repair job, I sent my 1Ds3 to Canon Canada directly for a shutter replacement... that only took two weeks before I received my camera back.

Skip the middleman, if you can, and send your lens directly to Canon. You'll minimize down time. FYI, I'm not a CPS member. It's my understanding that CPS members can receive their equipment back in less than a week.

Upvote 0
Z

zhap03

It's important to know that if your lens elements aren't tuned properly, no amount of in-camera micro-adjust will get you sharp images.

Have your lens serviced by Canon! You'll be tickled when you get your lens back and you realize that all of your stress is gone. Now you're the proud owner of a "Sharp Copy" and you don't have to be envious of others who were lucky and purchased a sharp lens out of the box.

Upvote 0
R

ReyMorlu

Son legión los que se quejan de la mala calidad de fabricacion de este objetivo y si no os gustan los comentarios de los de otros paises por su "mal Inglès" a lo mejor prefieren traducirlos directamente de las lengüas maternas de los ponentes, claro que eso va a ser dificil pues seguro que vs. no tienen ni idea de Español o Sueco etc. y el traductor automatico no sirve para nada.
Me encantarà ver la cara que se os queda cuando empiecen todos los objetivos a romperse y sobre todo que os pase en medio de un largo viaje por otro pais y os quedeis sin una foto.
A mi me importa un bledo vuestra vida, pero lo que si me importa es que me tome el pelo una fabrica por un cachivache que no dura sino dos años y luego la palma y he pagado por él mill euros.

¡Menudo foro!

Upvote 0
E

elgourmet

this one was taken @F4.5 for example:

6013512385_02e349c461_z.jpg

Upvote 0

My first railroad shot with the new toy....a 7D and the 24-105 L lens! Quite a change from the FD equipment if I may say so :). I really like how the lens can refocus between each frame at 8 fps on the fast moving train, and the color and sharpness are really nice as well.

Ted

Hmmm....the photo certainly lost a lot of sharpness when posted....what happened??? I sized it at 900 x 600 - is that too big and the forum compressed it??

I could not find anything in the help files about posting photos, and the others here are nice and sharp...

Edit** Click on the photo to see a larger copy - that one is nice and sharp as it should be with a lens like this!

Attachments

• cbr2.jpg
    cbr2.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 2,694
Upvote 0

fesapo said:
Kernuak, I love that shot!

Here's one from Shinjuku, Tokyo:

Electric Fix by Fesapo, on Flickr
Thanks Fesapo. I read alot about people criticising the distortion on the 24-105 and 17-40, but I think there are times where it really adds to creativity. Of course, the extension tubes exaggerate the distortion.
Eddie, I can't say the precise reason, but was the uploaded file in Adobe RGB or sRGB? I've seen similar problems when websites have applied compression algorithms when converting from Adobe to sRGB, although I don't think that can be the reason here. However, browsers aren't very good at displaying Adobe RGB. Try using the Save for Web function if you use Photoshop.

Upvote 0

>>>Eddie, I can't say the precise reason, but was the uploaded file in Adobe RGB or sRGB? I've seen similar problems when websites have applied compression algorithms when converting from Adobe to sRGB, although I don't think that can be the reason here. However, browsers aren't very good at displaying Adobe RGB. Try using the Save for Web function if you use Photoshop.<<<

Hi Kernuak,

The file is sRGB and I did use the save for web function in PS5. However, I did just notice that if you click on my photo, it opens a new larger window and there the image is displayed as it should be! That is a feature of this forum software I did not know about.

I wasn't sure on how big to make the photo - some people are likely still using smaller monitors and would have to scroll to see the entire photo, which can be irritating for some.

I just got the 7D and that was my first series of railroad photos I took with it. The camera and lens are really nice and the more I use it the more I wonder if I'll even finish the roll of film that is in my A-1 :).

Thanks again!

Ted

Upvote 0

Here is another example of how well this lens works...the color and sharpness are just incredible, at least to this new to digital guy!

24mm / ISO 200 / fixed daylight balance.

Again, click on the photo to see the photo as it should be seen....thanks.

Ted

Attachments

• UP_1996_1_Phoenix_AZ_11-14-2011.jpg
    UP_1996_1_Phoenix_AZ_11-14-2011.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 2,687
Upvote 0

And one more of the Union Pacific Special Steam Train celebrating Arizona's 100 years of statehood (actually it isn't until next year but oh well....mainline steam is rare.

Again, click on the photo to see a larger size with the correct color and sharpness. Just an amazing lens I think!

Ted

Attachments

• UP_844t_wb_2_Mescal_AZ_11-10-2011.jpg
    UP_844t_wb_2_Mescal_AZ_11-10-2011.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 2,713
Upvote 0