Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

Re: Canon EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM

This is the best general purpose zoom I have had (of course I have never had a 24/28-70 2.8). Still, mine seems very sharp all around on full frame. It appears there are a lot of variance with the production, as some report excellent results and others report getting bad copies. (Either that or the bad reports are just people being overly critical and going into it with a negative mindset because it is not the 2.8).

Although I use it mostly at 24mm, here is a recent shot from Carlsbad Caverns at 99mm. Since you obviously cannot leave the narrow walkway in the caverns, this shows when the extended reach (beyond 70mm) comes in handy. This is the unedited JPEG, other than downsizing.

Attachments

• Carlsbad Caverns 9743.JPG
    Carlsbad Caverns 9743.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 894
Upvote 0

Hobby Shooter said:
wellfedCanuck said:
977650_10151654278856263_1359901112_o.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wellfedcanuck/9402817481/#in/photostream/
This is a beautiful image
Thanks! It helped to have a photogenic model, beautiful landscape and a cool sky. :)

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

wellfedCanuck said:
Hobby Shooter said:
Thanks! It helped to have a photogenic model, beautiful landscape and a cool sky. :)
Yes it always does, but someone has to capture it and you did it and you picked this one to post. I wish I had taken it, what makes it to me is the way she turns her head towards the camera. Well done, it's perfect.

J

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula

scottkinfw said:
Beautiful!

TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
pulseimages said:
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Here's one I took last fall with the 24-105L:

Under a Brooding Sky by Thousand Word Images by Dustin Abbott, on Flickr

That is a 25 second exposure
Wow! What was your shutter speed on this beautiful image?
That is a 25 second exposure
Wow! What was your shutter speed on this beautiful image?
That's pretty funny! Good one! ;D

Upvote 0
adebrophy said:
No time for a tripod so I think the IS made this one possible. It's maybe not a pixel peeper's lens but it just does the job.
10296600595_49768e56d5_b.jpg

Both really like this image (the way the light has fallen on the ground, and also the rays bursting out of the cloud mirroring the shadow lines on the ground is just great), and also slightly dislike it. But I only dislike the composition rather than the content I think. The tree and shadow in the middle are just too central for my liking. But maybe that's just personal preference rather than anything else.

What settings were used? I'm sure if I'd have been there I would have botched the exposure one way or the other.

Upvote 0
Both really like this image (the way the light has fallen on the ground, and also the rays bursting out of the cloud mirroring the shadow lines on the ground is just great), and also slightly dislike it. But I only dislike the composition rather than the content I think. The tree and shadow in the middle are just too central for my liking. But maybe that's just personal preference rather than anything else.

What settings were used? I'm sure if I'd have been there I would have botched the exposure one way or the other.
[/quote]

Good comment! The problem was where I could place myself to get the tree in the way of the sun without trespassing any further into the farmer's field and from where I was the surrounding areas to the sides were less interesting so not worth including. Wish I had another version less centred as well to see which would have been more effective. Might try a slightly different crop...

Settings ISO 200, f11, 100 second. Shot in manual after taking a few shots in aperture priority to get a sense of what worked. Also took lots of shots to try and get the exposure and ended up realising it was pretty impossible even with the 3 stop ND grad I was using. I ended up having to shoot using the histogram - keeping in enough tones in the shadows and highlights to know I could use the RAW file in Lightroom after.

Upvote 0
adebrophy said:

Good comment! The problem was where I could place myself to get the tree in the way of the sun without trespassing any further into the farmer's field and from where I was the surrounding areas to the sides were less interesting so not worth including. Wish I had another version less centred as well to see which would have been more effective. Might try a slightly different crop...

Settings ISO 200, f11, 100 second. Shot in manual after taking a few shots in aperture priority to get a sense of what worked. Also took lots of shots to try and get the exposure and ended up realising it was pretty impossible even with the 3 stop ND grad I was using. I ended up having to shoot using the histogram - keeping in enough tones in the shadows and highlights to know I could use the RAW file in Lightroom after.
[/quote]

Being a sucker for a 16:9 ratio I'd use that in Lightroom and crop part of the right and the top of the image off. Although looking at the image, it might leave the horizon in an awkward place. I'd have stood in the same place to take the photo, but probably rotated to the left a few degrees.

Upvote 0
A shot I took last year in California. It was the middle of the night, and the house next to the one I was staying caught fire. We went outside, and I started taking pictures with my 24-105. I could have used a faster lens but I needed the versatility of the zoom. I just cranked the ISO to 6400 on my 5D2. I have shots with the whole house on fire but the one I most like is his one.

fire fighters

BTW, nobody was hurt, this was an old house in an expensive neighborhood. The owner did not have insurance but he sold the lot and probably got enough money to move to a more modest neighborhood.

Upvote 0