Canon EF 24-70 f/4L IS Coming [CR3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Marsu42 said:
RLPhoto said:
This lens will be DOA.

No, it will be cheaper on production, just like 6d. And it will make people buy more 70- teles.Plus the 6d af is made for f4+ lenses.

Yes, It will be cheaper in production, Just like the 18-55mm kit lens. And just like that 18-55mm kit lens, You won't see many people actually going and Buying this lens for they're current cameras. ::)

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
The current MK2 24-70 is said to have amazing IQ, if this f4 version is sharp and great using the same design too then it leaves the 24-105mm as a less sharp kit lens. so yes for a decent price this would be good - but still not a f2.8 :-(
Also we need to ask how this fits into movie cam use?

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
*Scratches head*.... What the heck is Canon Marketing doing? Please put yourself out of misery or fire whoever the plant is from Nikon in your camp! :) I have nothing new to add as everyone has already or soon will cover much of the frustration. 24-105 IS L f4 is a popular lens, so you shorten its range... and keep the speed the same at f4, and people are gonna line up!? :eek:

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Yes, It will be cheaper in production, Just like the 18-55mm kit lens. And just like that 18-55mm kit lens, You won't see many people actually going and Buying this lens for they're current cameras. ::)

I've been looking for a replacement for my 18-55 and this lens seems somewhat ideal as it fits between the 10-22 and the 70-200 if you have a crop body. I do agree with you otherwise though, I can't see many other reasons for someone to consider this lens other than mine.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dhofmann said:
Who would buy the 24-70 II when they could get something with the same focal range that's just as sharp, half the weight, more compact, and 2-3 stops more handholdable?

People who need f/2.8, that's who.

That's a great non-answer!

Who buys the 85/1.2L with the 85/1.8 available? Lots of people.

That would be a valid comparison if we were comparing an f/2.8L non-IS lens with an f/4L non-IS lens. But we aren't.

The 24-105 f/4L IS close to $1000, if the 24-70 f/4L IS is anywhere even close to $2000, it's a sure big fat loser.

Unless it's as sharp as the 24-70mm f/2.8L II.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
blonigan16 said:
RLPhoto said:

I've been looking for a replacement for my 18-55 and this lens seems somewhat ideal as it fits between the 10-22 and the 70-200 if you have a crop body. I do agree with you otherwise though, I can't see many other reasons for someone to consider this lens other than mine.

Why not the 24-105L? Its already very sharp and has more range. :eek:

Upvote 0
BXL said:
Act444 said:
Unless...you know, I've picked up an old, used 24-85. It isn't the sharpest lens but man, the SIZE is wonderful. If this new 24-70 is just as compact, they make the aperture constant, add in IS, and keep the price $800 or below, it could be an attractive option for those wishing to travel light. While the 24-105 is not a HUGE lens, it's definitely substantial on all but the biggest bodies (5D/1D series).
+1

I also assume that this 24-70/4 IS will fill the gap of the 24-85 USM. Guess that the "L" is just marketing...

Upvote 0

max

Jul 20, 2010
blonigan16 said:
RLPhoto said:

why not get a 24-105mm?

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
You won't see many people actually going and Buying this lens for they're current cameras. ::)

I see this one as a cheaper plasticy (like 100L) 6d kit, lighter weight, smaller size and latest IS vs 24-105. Many people will prefer it and put the $$$ saved into a 70- tele.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
What if there was another loss in translation, and this will actually be a 17-70mm f/4L IS. Now, that would be interesting...

Or... it could really just be the 24-70 IS f2.8, though I don't see how Canon can price that thing after the 2.2K for the non IS version. For a standard zoom over 2500-2800 would be a bit high and they wont' be able to move them in large numbers. All I know is the f4 IS version makes no sense... none.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
For those just joining us and trying to make sense of this non-trivial CR3 -- and are not furious right now -- we've been riffing on these possibilities:

1) Canon is fully '70-200'-ing their 24-70 lenses into a lineup of (eventually) four offerings.
2) This is tailored for video -- STM, parfocal, etc.
3) It will be very small / very light in comparison to prior 24-70 lenses.
4) This is a 'value L' in the vein of 17-40, 70-200 F/4 non-IS. Sub-$1000. Logically paired with the new 6D.
5) This will be legendarily sharp for the new uberpixel bodies we will get down the road.
6) This new 24-70 IS will replace the 24-105 IS and drive more people to buy pricey 70-200 lenses.

For the record, I really thought more people would be outright furious about this. I thought 50% of respondents would be out for blood. Good composure, team.

- A

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Marsu42 said:
RLPhoto said:
You won't see many people actually going and Buying this lens for they're current cameras. ::)

I see this one as a cheaper plasticy (like 100L) 6d kit, lighter weight, smaller size and latest IS vs 24-105. Many people will prefer it and put the $$$ saved into a 70- tele.

Yeah but the 24-105L is already sharp for around 800$ used. This lens would have to be 599$ for it to fly and knowing canon lately, I seriously doubt that.

My guess. DOA.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
ahsanford said:
For those just joining us and trying to make sense of this non-trivial CR3 -- and are not furious right now -- we've been riffing on these possibilities:

1) Canon is fully '70-200'-ing their 24-70 lenses into a lineup of (eventually) four offerings.
2) This is tailored for video -- STM, parfocal, etc.
3) It will be very small / very light in comparison to prior 24-70 lenses.
4) This is a 'value L' in the vein of 17-40, 70-200 F/4 non-IS. Sub-$1000. Logically paired with the new 6D.
5) This will be legendarily sharp for the new uberpixel bodies we will get down the road.
6) This new 24-70 IS will replace the 24-105 IS and drive more people to buy pricey 70-200 lenses.

For the record, I really thought more people would be outright furious about this. I thought 50% of respondents would be out for blood. Good composure, team.

- A

Or, #7, it is a mistranslation or something missed in the rumor and either the range or the speed is wrong. If it is a "real" thing, God save Canon. Next quater will be even lower revenues and hopefully they will fire the marketing bozos.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.