Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=8517"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=8517" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=8517"></a></div>
<strong>From Germany

</strong>According to [<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new_lenses.html">NL</a>], The Canon EF 28 f/2.8 no longer appears on German price lists. This lens is one of only three lenses left from the original EOS line-up. The other 2 being the 50 f/2.5 compact macro and the 135 f/2.8 soft focus.</p>
<p><em><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12096-USA/Canon_2505A002_Wide_Angle_EF_28mm.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296">Canon 28 f/2.8 at B&H for $259</a></em></p>
<p>Another lens that has been <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12119-USA/Canon_2507A002_Wide_Angle_EF_35mm.html/BI/2466/KBID/3296">out of stock for some time at B&H</a> is the Canon EF 35 f/2.0. We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/12/ef-s-or-ef-35-f1-8-cr1/">have heard previously</a> that a 35 f/1.8 does indeed exist.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

S

smirkypants

Honestly, I see no reason to own this lens. I've used it and it's slow to focus, loud, only 2.8 and the IQ is just okay. There are so many zooms that overlap this, and unless there's a real, quantifiable reason to own a prime, you're wasting your money. Pretty much my rule of thumb is, if you're happy with 2.8, get a zoom, if you want to do better, get a high quality prime. This lens failed on both counts. This is the lens you buy because it's cheap, then it sits in the bottom of your camera bag for 5 years collecting dust.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
smirkypants said:
Honestly, I see no reason to own this lens. I've used it and it's slow to focus, loud, only 2.8 and the IQ is just okay. There are so many zooms that overlap this, and unless there's a real, quantifiable reason to own a prime, you're wasting your money. Pretty much my rule of thumb is, if you're happy with 2.8, get a zoom, if you want to do better, get a high quality prime. This lens failed on both counts. This is the lens you buy because it's cheap, then it sits in the bottom of your camera bag for 5 years collecting dust.
Yup. True for FF, especially true for crop.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As stated above, there are f/2.8 zooms of good quality, so I can't imagine the 28/2.8 is a popular lens.

Don't forget that in addition to the EF 28mm f/2.8, there's also an EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, a newer and more expensive lens. If this isn't just a temporary/regional change, and Canon actually is discontinuing the 28/2.8, they may be getting rid of the cheaper, poorer-selling lens and driving people to purchase the more expensive lens if they need the 28mm focal length as a prime.

Upvote 0
I own the 28mm f/2.8 and agree with smirkypants that it is too loud, slow (focusing and aperture), and optically mediocre for me to use very often. I would love for Canon to replace the 35mm f/2 and 28mm f/2.8 with USM (MM USM for lower cost). I also think the 50mm f/1.8 should get MM and better build quality (and a bump up in price, but still below $200), and the 50mm f/1.4 USM to get the real USM (would likely push the cost up to the 85mm f/1.8 or 100mm f/2 range). C'mon Canon, Nikon has been replacing all its non-Professional primes lately. Isn't it time for Canon to make USM standard?

smirky, I agree with most of what you say, but the 28mm f/2.8 is a $260 lens, the comparable f/2.8 zooms you talk about start at $1000 for Canon, or $440-850 for third-party lenses. Additionally the f/2.8 zoom are considerably larger and heavier than the 28mm f/2.8. Not everyone can afford the zooms or the included weight and size. That said, a more silent and optically better 28mm f/2.8 would be nice if the price remains low.

I did not pay $250 for my 28mm f/2.8, and definitely would not have bought it if it were more than the $50 I paid.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

KyleSTL said:
smirky, I agree with most of what you say, but the 28mm f/2.8 is a $260 lens, the comparable f/2.8 zooms you talk about start at $1000 for Canon
Kyle... $260 retail for THIS piece of lego made by my little brother? That's halfway to an iPad. That's 3/5 of the way to a Siggy 30mm 1.4. That's a week's groceries. Relatively speaking it's inexpensive compared to other Canon lenses, but c'mon... $260? For this? If I were to pay $30 at a garage sale, I might think about putting it on a first generation Rebel and carrying it around the bad parts of town taking pictures of graffiti at night... if I could get it to focus fast enough to avoid the guy with the ski cap.

Upvote 0
KyleSTL said:
Isn't it time for Canon to make USM standard?

No, despite inventing the ultrasonic lens motor, that seem to be Nikon's job! ::)

I'd like to get excited about this lens dropping off price lists, but this has happened before just for them to suddenly become available again. Like many people have pointed out, this cannot be a popular lens -the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 XR Di ll LD is not a whole lot more money for a much better lens; it wouldn't be surprising if Canon were simply killing the 28mm f/2.8 off due to lack of sales. I hope I'm wrong on this count, an EF-S 30mm f/1.8 is long overdue and yes, it should have a USM motor!

Upvote 0
J

jseliger

I have the "nifty 50" on a t2i but find the length too great much of the time. Which means I've been contemplating a prime in the 28 – 35mm range, but the 30mm Sigma and 28mm Canon are too expensive (and the latter is too old), while the 35mm is also old and its price has increased by more than $100 in the last four months.

So I'm hoping for a lens in the $200 – $300 neighborhood. Perhaps that's overly optimistic.

Upvote 0
Still waiting for a 22mm f1.8 EF-S lens.

Canon needs to make some more lenses of the quality and light weight of the EF 85mm f1.8.

BTW a Sony NEX 7 with the Zeiss 24mm f1,8 lens weighs less than a Canon 60D body. To some of us, high quality and light weight, is worth extra money. So my question to Canon is, why are you driving shooters like me to Sony (weight) and Nikon (focusing) ???

Upvote 0
S

SnapHappy

c.d.embrey said:
Still waiting for a 22mm f1.8 EF-S lens.

Canon needs to make some more lenses of the quality and light weight of the EF 85mm f1.8.

BTW a Sony NEX 7 with the Zeiss 24mm f1,8 lens weighs less than a Canon 60D body. To some of us, high quality and light weight, is worth extra money. So my question to Canon is, why are you driving shooters like me to Sony (weight) and Nikon (focusing) ???

I keep hearing this and am wondering if Nikon really is better at focusing?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I bought a Canon 28mm f/2.8 for $15.00 off Caigslist about a year back. It needed cleaning up on the exterior, but it had no damage and actually was a nice and reasonably sharp lens. I had the 35mmL so I eventually resold it, but it was a nice lens for a low cost one and really small and compact for walk-around use.

IMG0700-L.jpg

Upvote 0
SnapHappy said:

between the 1D and D3 bodys its a wash both are excellent but on lower models like the 5D vs D700 or D90 vs rebels etc Nikon is better. 7D and D7000 are pretty close a bit different in the way they do it but the D7000 AF is sooo much better than the 5D2

Upvote 0
S

SnapHappy

wickidwombat said:
SnapHappy said:

between the 1D and D3 bodys its a wash both are excellent but on lower models like the 5D vs D700 or D90 vs rebels etc Nikon is better. 7D and D7000 are pretty close a bit different in the way they do it but the D7000 AF is sooo much better than the 5D2

Speed, accuracy or both?

Upvote 0
both, I used Nikon previously then got a couple of 1Ds which i started using and bought more lenses for and really liked so decided to sell all my nikon gear and consolodate onto canon I assumed that the AF would be similar to Nikon accross the range boy was i wrong, I am getting used the the quirks with the 5D2 AF but really on a camera at this level they should have made it better, 9 points i dont even have a problem with the number so much as that the other points are completely ineffective in very low light for example shooting low key in a studio with another photographer using a D7000 i was using the 5D2 and the 24-105f4 he was using an 18-105 i think on the D7000. I could not even achieve AF lock when setting any of the outer points with the 5d2, center point was ok though, so i changed to the 1D and it could lock on with any selectable point. the D7000 had no problems achieving lock. And this is shooting static models in a controlled environment. So now i basically use the center point only unless i have good light on the 5D2 but i find myself just focus and recomposing alot more and just using the center point only.
I was also having problems with the 5D2 consistently back focusing when using AI servo with someone walking toward you.

I really hope canon pick up their game with the AF on the next round of models its the only real let down with the 5d2 IMO other than that i love the camera and its IQ size and control layout

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I bought a Canon 28mm f/2.8 for $15.00 off Craigslist about a year back. it was a nice lens for a low cost one and really small and compact for walk-around use.
Spokane, my friend, my buddy. You know I love ya. You are an exceptionally talented photographer and I've been amazed at some of the shots you've posted. Those pictures on the beach? The snow? Amazing! I'm just not feeling it from the morning glories, though. I really do think I'd rather carry my G12 around if I wanted "compact/walk-around." At least the noise wouldn't cause stray dogs to chase me and homeless women to ram me with their shopping carts!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.