Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Post your pics taken with this wonderful compact wide-angle prime.

I just picked up my new EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM. Couldn't belive there wasn't a gallery thread yet after years for this small gem.

Here is one of my first pictures taken with it, 5D3, EF 28/2.8, 1/200, f/11, ISO 400, AF focus set right on the spider web Distance less than 1 m.
Almost no PP. Just DPP lens correction.

German_Indian_Summer.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Good for you ! Unfortunately I don't think there will be many people here who will have much interest in this lens; it's not exotic or expensive enough. which is a shame because as wides go I think it renders rather beautifully - it is not a highly corrected lens, with plenty of CA and from an artistic point of view I find it quite pleasing. It's also very small and light with effective IS.
Here are a few of mine with this lens. 5D2 and 5DS

Attachments

• _MGL1126-Pano-B&W-1.jpg
    _MGL1126-Pano-B&W-1.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 192
  • _MG_3013-1.jpg
    _MG_3013-1.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 189
  • _MGL4339-1.jpg
    _MGL4339-1.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Is there a reason you went with this one over the f/1.8?

Let me rephrase that: What is the reason you went with this one over the f/1.8?
The f/1.8 is an old design with (presumably) old lens cut and coating.
If you compare the IQ at TDP at f/2.8 I supose there is nothing more to say. Especially the details of the spider web would have gone in the corner blur.
But if this is not revealing to you the IS is nice and as I don't plan to use it a lot indoors in low light but more as a small landscape and street lens I don't need higher apertures over IS.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes there is a reason: extremely poor optical performance, especially wide open, while the 2,8 IS is really good!

I guess I need to change sources then; where I looked I saw no indication of a performance difference.

EDIT: TDP looks like a good resource, thank you Maximillian!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Back in film days when I shot only primes, 28mm was one of my most-used lenses. I was in graduate school in Dallas when I got it, and shortly thereafter my summer school class was called off for the day. I took the bus downtown and used the day to try the lens out. It was my first experience shooting with a wide-angle lens, and so it was like a revelation. I still have prints I made from the negatives I shot that day. Many years later I got a used 19mm lens and enjoyed using it, but the 28mm was still the workhorse.

These days I don't feel any need for that prime. The focal length is covered by my kit 24-105mm and my 16-35mm lens. My old prime lens was f/3.5, so I don't miss having something faster. But I can easily see the appeal for this focal length.

Upvote 0