Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM

Jerryrigged

CANON EOS R & 5D IV
Jul 15, 2016
California
Re: Canon 35mm/1.4 II

Amazing lens! Beautiful color and sharpness. I use mine almost exclusively for people shots - not close-up head shots, but environmental. Here's a few I have at hand...

Attachments

• IMG_2753.JPG
    IMG_2753.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 477
  • IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2830.JPG
    IMG_2830.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 460
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
97% of my shots are with the 35 L II, honestly the most fun lens I have ever owned.

m2000.jpg

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Upvote 0
They are either using the lens in context...and have no time to post...or are professionals who are under contract..and the photos can't be posted....or the gear "must havers..." have moved onto the next must have. Or the last and more worrying group of forum B/S'ers....who never had one in the first place but wanted the forum gratification to feed their weird egos.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
no shots handy at the moment..
but I used the sig 35 A til this arrived...

I could see the difference on the first shots.....
and the sigma was quite good.... and sharp-ish wide open...

I believe it is Canon's best lens delivery.. ...in years....
good to the edges....low coma.... sharp wideopen.....all across...
contrast and colors....wonbderful...

if they would just do THIS to the 85, 135 and redo the 200 f2....

I could rest easy
/////////

35 is the normal lens for me.....

I honestly wish my 1dx2 had all the controls in a smaller 5D-ish body...
THEN I would have the 35L ii glued on it....
just get another one.... for OTHER lens changes

it is the best of all 35s

added note: I have a friend who is professional and is a wonderful artist... she has the old 35 and uses the hell out of it...
I am a bit sad she is budget limited that she cant get the new one.. but new bodies etc... take priority....

SHE would use it properly... and already does good with the old 35 (which I also had)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
TommyLee said:

I could rest easy
/////////

added note: I have a friend who is professional and is a wonderful artist... she has the old 35 and uses the hell out of it...
I am a bit sad she is budget limited that she cant get the new one.. but new bodies etc... take priority....

SHE would use it properly... and already does good with the old 35 (which I also had)

I MUST ask, what about the 35 L II can make the 200 f2 better? Or any lens for that matter.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

TommyLee said:

I could rest easy
/////////

Owning these lenses and reading this statement makes me laugh. This is how you know your dealing with a hobbyist. I seriously doubt you'll "rest easy" at any point when it's easier to blame lenses than it is to go out and shoot with them.

I'm sure once Canon updates these real slouches then you'll be complaining about those real loser lenses like the new-ish 400 DO, 11-24 and that pathetic 200-400 needing serious updates before you can use them.

Upvote 0
LordofTackle said:
TommyLee said:

Hm, I was under the impression that the 200/2.0 is one of the best prime lenses Canon has ever made....
Or am I mistaken?

And I'd agree, mine is soooooo sharp on any EOS camera it's shocking! One lens I can't see would ever need an update, and the IS is amazing!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Hey--I was just trying to prompt some image samples! Seriously considering trading in my good Sigma Art for the new Canon just for slightly improved AF and bokeh. With my eyes, every bit of help from AF is welcome.

I'm pretty satisfied with the Sigma's IQ, sometimes thrilled.

Problem with making a decision? Even on Flickr, not a huge pool of samples yet, and very easy to wander into other lenses being used when browsing the images.

Please post anything! Not looking for masterpieces, just some good images to judge by...

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
SAD! So many clamored for this new version...What happened???

I wish there were an objective test comparing the AF of the new Canon to the Sigma Art...

What is sad is that I can't afford it. I'm sure it's worth $1699 and I would buy it in 2 seconds if I could. The Sigma 35 Art is excellent, but the AF is not fast.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
arthurbikemad said:
Just ordered this fine lens, can't wait to get it! Wanted the 35ii for a while :)

You will not be disappointed. Mine is still by far the one I use the most. Color, contrast, the ridiculous sharpness, the lack of any CA and distortion and that AF and build quality. I wish every lens was as good. In fact the lens that's closest to being as good in all aspects is the 200 f2.

Upvote 0
Viggo said:
arthurbikemad said:
Just ordered this fine lens, can't wait to get it! Wanted the 35ii for a while :)

You will not be disappointed. Mine is still by far the one I use the most. Color, contrast, the ridiculous sharpness, the lack of any CA and distortion and that AF and build quality. I wish every lens was as good. In fact the lens that's closest to being as good in all aspects is the 200 f2.

Thanks Viggo, I am sure your right, thanks for the comment, I am lucky (and don't want to sound big headed) as I have the 200/2, it's an amazing lens even with it's quirky minimum focus distance (i.e you need room to work), I love shooting at 35mm, I have been using mostly zooms for years but I wish to be more creative, I find my zooms make me lazy with composition so look forward to finding some new angles with this fine piece of glass.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
arthurbikemad said:
Viggo said:
arthurbikemad said:

Thanks Viggo, I am sure your right, thanks for the comment, I am lucky (and don't want to sound big headed) as I have the 200/2, it's an amazing lens even with it's quirky minimum focus distance (i.e you need room to work), I love shooting at 35mm, I have been using mostly zooms for years but I wish to be more creative, I find my zooms make me lazy with composition so look forward to finding some new angles with this fine piece of glass.

Agreed! I recently added the 85 f1.8, but been shooting 35 L II + 200 f2 for a long time and it's a killer combo.

Upvote 0
...careful not to be rude... I respect all opinions...

/////////////

well..... users and owners of the 200 f2 ... released both barrels..haha..

me ...I want
more I.S. control...and THAT is OLD(er) tech..
plus all the latest developments...blue goo... newer glass formulas... weight reduction...
etc..

if you believe the 200 cannot be improved then ...YOU may rest easy...
the dramatic improvement of my original 35L mk I ....sigma 35A.... heading to my current 35L ii
and my 100-400 II (which version mkI ...was praised as near perfect...by some)
is what drives my statement...

I doubt the Canon engineering advanced planning people say :
"well the 200 f2 is done for 20 years.....lets take a long break....."
I want what they are pondering...developing...

I would buy the latest version... replacing current....
just my standards... and yes I rent the 200 f2 ...quite a bit.... it does solve problems for me...
but not interested in investing in it til it hits the upgrade cycle...

and I dont mind the shots....
have at it...

I DO KNOW the ~14, 35, 135, 200 are the complete set I want ...in all the MOST modern forms..
I believe I will get tht 16-35 III..... to override the 14L ii that I like.. (smallness is good too)

I ALSO want the new 135 f2 to have I.S. .....
I REALLY want this lens ...BACK....as an I.S. 'reference' lens.... as good as the 35L ii-which is crazy good...
I loved that 135 f2 lens...
but some may not know this.... it was not perfect....just really nice...

/////

I have used this gear ...and been around for a while...
and I see the pluses and minuses of most of the canon-specific gear...

and wish you all well....
this is the best, most informative photo-forum I have used in last 25-30 yrs.....

Tom

Upvote 0