Cape Town
TommyLee said:
student of light...
wow...

nice combo 6d 35L ii

those shots....some clarity there.....lovely
thanks....

I need to get out and shoot tomorrow...
Indeed, they are a favorite for combo of mine.

Thanks, and to think the picnic was almost canceled due to bad weather. Thankfully it cleared up, but we still had flattering soft light from the clouds.

Enjoy, I wish you good light 8)

Upvote 0
Great shots, only a day or two and my 35 will be here!! :D

TommyLee, I think we all wish and hope Canon do better, no matter what one thing is for sure, things will move on, the 200/2 is an oddball lens imo, it is not the easiest to use (weight, min focus) but the results make it worthwhile, it has a sprinkle of magic like the 35, you can shoot a dustbin and it has "that" look.. if it were lighter and attracted less attention out and about it would be perfect ;) oh and maybe a little sharper haha - can it get sharper...

Lets some more of those 35's posted up :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Pulled the trigger just in time for a Gatlinburg getaway. So far I'm very happy with it on my 5DIII and 80D. Quick, accurate AF even at the corner AF points of both bodies.

Here are a few for the bokeh inclined, minimal processing, all on the 5DIII.

Attachments

• _B9A2252.jpg
    _B9A2252.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 1,299
  • _B9A2239.jpg
    _B9A2239.jpg
    408.2 KB · Views: 250
  • _B9A1945.jpg
    _B9A1945.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 252
  • _B9A1949.jpg
    _B9A1949.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 248
  • _B9A1965.jpg
    _B9A1965.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
YuengLinger said:
SAD! So many clamored for this new version...What happened???

I wish there were an objective test comparing the AF of the new Canon to the Sigma Art...

Could you elaborate on this? The new 35II is a marked improvement on the older one, which was already a good lens. I own the 35 Sig and I borrowed the 35II from CPS for 10 days to evaluate. It came as no surprise that the native Canon glass had faster, more accurate, and more consistent AF than the sigma. That sigma has produced some excellent results for me in the last couple years, but in order for me to feel confident in its focusing, I'm forced to shoot in Live View and punch in to verify, which I don't typically care to have to do. With the Canon, I could shot normally and have confidence. Obviously the AF is less an issue once you stop the lenses down to f4 and lower because of the DOF, but if you buy a 1.4 lens, you should expect reliable results AT 1.4. The sigma just doesn't offer that reliability to the same frequency as does the Canon.

Upvote 0
Class A - you buy a 1.4 lens, you should expect reliable results AT 1.4. The sigma just doesn't offer that reliability to the same frequency as does the Canon.
///////////

yes ...completely agree
I had 35L mk 1, and then sigma ..loved em both...each an improvement over the previous..

now my 35L mk 2 is as good as any of the best Canon lenses... imo

the bokeh is lovely...as demonstrated above....
nice shots....

the lens is so good and 35mm being my fav angle...
I dont want to take it off the camera..

I wish I had a 5DmkIII that had the spotmeter linked to focus, exp comp in manual , and LIGHTED focus points in servo....and a few more features..
if so...... then I would have a smaller footprint.... if I had that.. I would superglue the 35L II to the body
and call it a perfect system...

the 1dx2 is wonderful... but bulges in my jeans pocket ...a little bit....ha
////////////

AND to stir-up old wounds again..
the 135 f2 mk II I.S. with ~1.5 feet min focus distance....
would be quite nice to pair with the 35L II

for now I'll add my 14L II.... making ..... 14mm, 35mm and 135mm a near-complete system
but
I would be willing to give up f2.8 ... for f4
maybe use an 11-24 Canon or 12 24 Sigma ...to replace the 14mm ..

my point is...
they NOW all have to rise to the 35L II standards....I am spoiled!!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Crapking, JerryRigged, StudentOfLight, Viggo, thanks for kicking off this gallery with some compelling and helpful images! JerryRigged--I bet your subject was PLEASED! :D

TommyLee, could you please help us reserve this thread for images and comments on them (leaning towards technical aspects of the lens)? Thanks!

Upvote 0
I got mine, this is a great walk about lens, very natural perspective, through the viewfinder of the 1DX it's much like looking though an open window, depth of field is strong as you'd expect at 1.4 and MFD. I need some time to get out and shoot, I got this lens for indoor portraits, but very much day to day lifestyle stuff, think it will work out well for me. Great pics here so hope to get something to post up asap.

:)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Two quick portraits of my daughter today. IKEA Tupplur curtains behind (was on special offer now.)

One is with a fan behind and low to bring out the hair, lit with a Profoto B1 in a Softlighter White camera right.

The other one is with the model light turned off to enlarge the pupil, and I used the hard light reflector Magnum for much more punch and drama.

1dx+35

m353.jpg

m354.jpg

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
I keep forgetting about coming back here to reply.

Beautiful images Viggo. Many optically-well-corrected lenses tend to have quite harsh rendering of out of focus areas, not so with the 35L II. I just love the richness of color, rendering of OOF areas and plentiful detail where you want it.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia Indica) buds and flowers

It was a bit gusty so was difficult to keep the depth of field where I wanted it with the relatively wide aperture selected. I also used flash to neutralize the color cast from the orange wall on the right in order to maintain the natural colors of the flowers.

Canon EF35mm f-1.4L II USM - SOOC (sRGB)
by Omesh Singh, on Flickr

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:

I LOVE this shot...
all your close ups are fun.. and the 35 seems to like that use...
I think you like this lens...me too
thanks for these...

unable to get moving as much lately.. impatient to dive-in again..
hopefully this spring..

and the 85 and 135 heading for rebirth with I.S. ....
if they are in the 35L ii class... it will be exciting ....
I really miss my 135 f2

a good reason to get moving....

Upvote 0