Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

QUESTION: Given the non-reversible clip on hood and extending front element that is non-retractable when the camera is off, I feel like the easiest and safest thing to do is just leave the hood clipped on at all times, even for storage. Does not seem to place any significant pressure on the focus ring, protects the extending element better, and still small enough to fit in bag - gotta put the hood somewhere anyway. Anyone else do this?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
QUESTION: Given the non-reversible clip on hood and extending front element that is non-retractable when the camera is off, I feel like the easiest and safest thing to do is just leave the hood clipped on at all times, even for storage. Does not seem to place any significant pressure on the focus ring, protects the extending element better, and still small enough to fit in bag - gotta put the hood somewhere anyway. Anyone else do this?
The hood is reversible. I got n the habit of retracting the focus element before unmounting the lens, and I stored it with the hood reversed.

Upvote 0
The hood is reversible. I got n the habit of retracting the focus element before unmounting the lens, and I stored it with the hood reversed.
Oh I didn't realize that I only had one other lens with a clip on hood.

I still have to wonder though, wouldn't the hood in shooting position still be the safest bet?

For instance, lets say you have the hood reversed and face down in camera bag, and you hit a pothole in car resulting in bag bouncing. Wouldn't the hood mostly isolate the motor mechanism from this shock, whereas if it was reversed there would be an impact to the front? I am just curious as I've seen stories of the lens motor failing and it being expensive to repair, so since it easily fits in the bag in shooting position vertically would just want to store however is least stressful.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Oh I didn't realize that I only had one other lens with a clip on hood.

I still have to wonder though, wouldn't the hood in shooting position still be the safest bet?

For instance, lets say you have the hood reversed and face down in camera bag, and you hit a pothole in car resulting in bag bouncing. Wouldn't the hood mostly isolate the motor mechanism from this shock, whereas if it was reversed there would be an impact to the front? I am just curious as I've seen stories of the lens motor failing and it being expensive to repair, so since it easily fits in the bag in shooting position vertically would just want to store however is least stressful.
Certainly fine and probably safer to store with the hood in shooting position. I think with the front element retracted there isn’t an issue with a typical ‘bump’ to the lens cap, but rather failures occur when the front element is left extended.

Upvote 0
Certainly fine and probably safer to store with the hood in shooting position. I think with the front element retracted there isn’t an issue with a typical ‘bump’ to the lens cap, but rather failures occur when the front element is left extended.
Sorry to ask another OT question but this really is the place to do it as far as I can tell given the age of this lens :)

Below is your typical new lens "hmmmmm what do you think" post, and of the several lenses I acquired recently this is the only one I'm a bit hmmmmm about:

So, when I bought the lens stock was very low everywhere - I could only find two authorized dealers that had stock left, and both only had one left.

I ordered from a very reputable authorized dealer (most reputable of the two as far as I could tell) and it was their last one, however the box came looking like it had been around a while, a lot of scratches and a small dent in one corner. Never a great feeling when you get a new lens :) But they did assure me it was new.

The date code indicates the lens was made at the very end of 2018.

I do not see any visual defects in the lens, however oddly it came with the switch in MF position instead of AF position - that never happens in my experience on new Canon lenses in the 20+ I've bought and sold over the years. So that makes me think it may have been taken out of the box for some reason at some point, though of course not a guarantee that this happened.

I did some testing, it does not appear decentered anywhere using the Siemens star chart test although wide open there is a ton of LOCA when defocused (lots of green and or purple in the star pattern) but I think that is just characteristic of the lens. I could not find any defects with the lens, everything looks minty fresh other than the box.

Autofocus seems a bit inconsistent but I have a 6D and given the focus by wire I am thinking this might not be any issue as I was able to get sharp pics with it.

I guess in conclusion, wide open it is normal to get a ton of LOCA in the siemens star chart slightly out of focus decentering test with this lens right? Just making sure since its one of those "old lens sitting on the shelf for 2yr that may have been taken out of the box and the box doesn't inspire confidence" deals ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LoCA is the bane of the 85/1.2L wide open (although the 85/1.8 is even worse), I'd say what you're seeing is normal.
Just as long term update, the lens continues to perform well other than *really* thick purple fringing wide open in specific high contrast scenarios (like wine glass picture halfway down this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2718977 ), but this seems normal from all accounts. AF is a bit sketchy at times in low light but again I think is normal.

I have adopted keeping the hood on all times even when in storage, this allows me to store the lens in any focal position and is less wear and tear on the AF/MF switch.

Overall happy due to the unique look and experience this lens provides, for when I want that

Last edited:
Upvote 0